Author Topic: Any Barnaby's lovers able to recreate their ORIGINAL crust recipe/overall taste?  (Read 12533 times)

Offline wildwest

I grew up in the late '60's-early '70's living in Des Plaines and believing that Barnaby's Pizza was one of the 5 major food groups. Now I live in Denver and have been totally unsuccessful at finding anything (purchase or make) that comes close to their recipe. And.....I'm not even picky. I'd settle for close! In fact, if a Barnaby's corporate person happens to read this, I might even be willing to purchase a franchise, which would be a whole lot easier than flying to Chicago every time I need a fix.

At any rate, if anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it!

Jim........a BBQin' maniac and most recently (drum roll), a Pizza Newbie.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the board.  :)

I'm not familiar with Barnaby's but when looking at some pics of their pizza, I think it's more a cracker-style crust than anything else.

You might want to start looking here and see if you can find a crust that comes close:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html

I added some pics so that other members might be able to help you out and get an idea of what you're after.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline wildwest

Thanks, Mike! I've followed your leads and have already found some interesting recipes. That said, my hunt is still on and if anybody has anything to offer, your input would be greatly appreciated.  Jim

Offline TMTM

I found this recipe wasatchwoman.com/recipe.php?id=8

I rolled it out with a rolling pin. I first spread out cornmeal and roll the dough over it, pressing the cornmeal into the dough. To make the crust you just pinch around the edge tucking it under. It came out crisp. I used a pizza stone and left the oven pre-heat for 1 hour. It wasn't exactly like Barnaby's but close... but it could be hard to reproduce exactly not having that oven they have etc. Let me know what you find. Barnaby's always has a beer smell to it... do they add beer to it you think? anyone tried that?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:32:08 PM by TMTM »

Offline TMTM

The pizza above I made with dough 24 hours old... today I used my other dough ball which was in the fridge for 48 hours and it had a strong beer smell you get with a Barnaby's pizza... it came out even better. I email one of the Barnaby's in IL asking to give me the recipe.. see what happens :)

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Are Barnaby's still around?? ??? I saw one right off Hwy 41 and maybe lake-cook or dundee road in northfield IL several years ago when I had business down there, but that was the only place I ever remember seeing them.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline TMTM

I've only had it in Mishawaka and South Bend, IN and those are still open. Here is a list http://www.barnabysschaumburg.com/location-and-hours.php

Offline TMTM

I also think the sauce and sausage recipes are important.. I think they make there own sausage and put it on the pizza uncooked (can someone remember?) and as it cooks on the pizza also releases flavors.. i'm thinking.

Offline imhungry

I'm in the Barnabys in Niles all the time for the pizza.. I know most of the people that work there and have talked to them before about this.. They get their sausage from a local meat company.. The pizzas are brought out on trays all ready with the sauce applied. The sausage is raw when applied along with the other toppings. Didn't get to the sauce yet but tastes really close to a tomatoe soup if tasted by itself.. Going to ask more questions and see what I can find out..

Offline TMTM

I'm in the Barnabys in Niles all the time for the pizza.. I know most of the people that work there and have talked to them before about this.. They get their sausage from a local meat company.. The pizzas are brought out on trays all ready with the sauce applied. The sausage is raw when applied along with the other toppings. Didn't get to the sauce yet but tastes really close to a tomatoe soup if tasted by itself.. Going to ask more questions and see what I can find out..
I no longer live around Barnaby's but the one in Mishawaka, IN would work the dough where you could see... I can't remember much.. I do remember them having the dough in a 30 gallon rubbermaid trash can and the guy reaching in and cutting some off to make a pie. I don't know if they sheet/roll it or not but the finished pizza crust is thin and flat but not like a thin and crispy.. more like a HRI but not as thick/dense or that crunchy. The finished pie also has strong beer smell to it.. most likely from the yeast yet the crust doesn't have any rise in it. Get your friends to tell you all the info on the dough you can. Sauce also.

Offline TMTM

I've been doing more search on the internet for Barnaby's recipes... found a Facebook group and a recipe.. here is the recipe quote:

" Phillip Johnson  I have experimented with pizza dough and I have come pretty close to barnaby's. 11/2 tsp rapid rise yeast, 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour. 1/2 cup yellow corn meal coarse if you can get it. 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1tsp sugar 1 tsp salt 1 cup warm water. Put all in a kitchen aid mixer and mix at lea...st 10 minutes. leave it in the bowl and let it rise. Beat it down and let rise again. Beat it down and rise again and you are ready for pizza. Sauce I use is one 15 0z can of italian stewed tomatoes and one 8 oz can tomatoe sauce. 1tsp basil 1 tsp oregano. It's to much for one pizza but that's the way I make it. You can buy ground itlaian sausage pepperoni and cheese. Roll out the dough put it on a pan dusted with yellow corn meal put on the sauce and put on what you want and then the cheese and bake in 400 degree preheated oven about 15 minutes, all ovens very so just watch it til it's golden brown. You can use a pizza stone too if you have one. Good luck"

I'll keep searching

Edit: Here is a link to the Facebook group for Barnbaby fans http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=47853026721
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:39:58 PM by TMTM »

Offline TMTM

I just made Phillip Johns recipe. Its spot on! The only thing I would tinker with is the types of cornmeal and how they are applied. The coarse cornmeal with a bit gritty for me compared the Barnaby's I go to in Mishawaka and South Bend, IN. I did notice Phillip in in IL and may eat at another Barnaby's.. I've heard the recipe have varied a bit from place to place over the years. The only thing I did different from his recipe was right after the 2nd punch down of the dough was I rolled up 2 balls out of it and put them in the fridge overnight instead of making my pizza right away. Turned out fine. I rolled out the pizza after dusting it with flour so it wasn't sticky any more and roll it out with cornmeal sprinkled on the counter to press cornmeal into the bottom as I rolled.  Put a little cornmeal the peel so it will slide off on to my pizza stone. Pinched up the edges of the rolled to me a crust wall. Put on some Ragu pizza sauce.. layer of light cheese and onions, peppers, pepperoni and raw Italian sausage and nice layer of cheese on top. I put it into the oven which as been set at 465 and already been warming up for 1 hour. I cooked it for 18-20 minutes to make sure the sausage was done.. gave it 180 turn at 12 minutes to cooked evenly. As this was my first try.. I was kinda scared I'd burn it as most pizza I make only cook 12 minutes but I remembered that the pizza I get at Barnaby's always looks very brown and almost burnt which I think it very important to not only make sure the sausage is cooked but crust comes out perfect just like at Barnaby's.. pulled it out and cut it into Chicago squares and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.. then eat! It was just Barnaby's.. not sure how it could be more perfect for trying to remake it home.. the only thing that I'll tinker with is the cornmeal (fine or coarse etc) and the sauce. Any questions or suggestions let me know  :chef: :pizza:

Offline qcfmike

I grew up originally in Elk Grove so I know where you are coming from.  People talk about Lou's and the Uno's but it's amazing how many really really good pizzeria's there were and still are in the metro Chicagoland area that only the local are lucky enough to have the privilege to enjoy.  Good luck with the recipe and please share if you are lucky enough to get the real thing.  :chef:

Offline TMTM

I grew up originally in Elk Grove so I know where you are coming from.  People talk about Lou's and the Uno's but it's amazing how many really really good pizzeria's there were and still are in the metro Chicagoland area that only the local are lucky enough to have the privilege to enjoy.  Good luck with the recipe and please share if you are lucky enough to get the real thing.  :chef:
This recipe I posted above by Phillip Johnson worked out really good today and very close to Barnaby's. Give it a try.

Offline qcfmike

This recipe I posted above by Phillip Johnson worked out really good today and very close to Barnaby's. Give it a try.

Sounds good I will.... I posted a little fast and had not read all the way down the board....  :)

Offline BTB

Good looking pictures, TMTM.  I liked the way you shaped the cornicione (edge or rim).  Keep up the good work of trying to replicate the great Barnaby's recipe as best you can.  I tried to look for that Phillip Johnson recipe you mentioned just to get a feel of the background, but couldn't find it on the facebook site.  Did I just miss it?  I will, of course, try to convert it to weights rather than volume measurements (using the simple to use recipe tools on this site).  I am irrevocably spoiled on weight measurements because it's quick to convert to any size pizza and you can do so much more with it.

I wonder if Barnaby's used extra fine corn meal as opposed to the coarse kind, as that reflects my memories of their great crusts a little more.  And maybe even a dash of semolina, too.  If you can't find the fine corn meal (which sometimes seems only available by mail over the internet), you can use one's food processor to make the coarse corn meal a lot finer.  Since many of us learned some things about "durum" flour elsewhere on this site, I wonder, too, if that couldn't be part of the mixture.  I haven't been able yet to find such flour locally, however.  (See some partial discussion of this unique flour at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10267.msg89995.html#msg89995.) 

When I get a chance, the Barnaby's pizza crust will definitely be on my "bucket list." 

:P                     --BTB

Offline TMTM

Good looking pictures, TMTM.  I liked the way you shaped the cornicione (edge or rim).  Keep up the good work of trying to replicate the great Barnaby's recipe as best you can.  I tried to look for that Phillip Johnson recipe you mentioned just to get a feel of the background, but couldn't find it on the facebook site.  Did I just miss it?  I will, of course, try to convert it to weights rather than volume measurements (using the simple to use recipe tools on this site).  I am irrevocably spoiled on weight measurements because it's quick to convert to any size pizza and you can do so much more with it.

I wonder if Barnaby's used extra fine corn meal as opposed to the coarse kind, as that reflects my memories of their great crusts a little more.  And maybe even a dash of semolina, too.  If you can't find the fine corn meal (which sometimes seems only available by mail over the internet), you can use one's food processor to make the coarse corn meal a lot finer.  Since many of us learned some things about "durum" flour elsewhere on this site, I wonder, too, if that couldn't be part of the mixture.  I haven't been able yet to find such flour locally, however.  (See some partial discussion of this unique flour at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10267.msg89995.html#msg89995.) 

When I get a chance, the Barnaby's pizza crust will definitely be on my "bucket list." 

:P                     --BTB

Here is the post this guy made on Facebook in his own words:
Phillip Johnson:  "I have experimented with pizza dough and I have come pretty close to barnaby's. 11/2 tsp rapid rise yeast, 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour. 1/2 cup yellow corn meal coarse if you can get it. 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1tsp sugar 1 tsp salt 1 cup warm water. Put all in a kitchen aid mixer and mix at lea...st 10 minutes. leave it in the bowl and let it rise. Beat it down and let rise again. Beat it down and rise again and you are ready for pizza. Sauce I use is one 15 0z can of italian stewed tomatoes and one 8 oz can tomatoe sauce. 1tsp basil 1 tsp oregano. It's to much for one pizza but that's the way I make it. You can buy ground itlaian sausage pepperoni and cheese. Roll out the dough put it on a pan dusted with yellow corn meal put on the sauce and put on what you want and then the cheese and bake in 400 degree preheated oven about 15 minutes, all ovens very so just watch it til it's golden brown. You can use a pizza stone too if you have one. Good luck"

You might be right about the different flour/cornmeals etc.. It could be semolina but I've never used it... semolina is kinda gritty like cornmeal? I wish I could just go to Mishawaka Barnaby's but im down in GA... I know that you can watch them make the pizza.. I just can't remember much. Maybe when you make yours... you'll know whats missing or needs tweaked etc.

Do you have Whole Foods near you? They seem to have a variety of flours and other ingredients.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:21:14 AM by TMTM »

Offline dms

You might be right about the different flour/cornmeals etc.. It could be semolina but I've never used it... semolina is kinda gritty like cornmeal? I wish I could just go to Mishawaka Barnaby's but im down in GA... I know that you can watch them make the pizza.. I just can't remember much. Maybe when you make yours... you'll know whats missing or needs tweaked etc.

Do you have Whole Foods near you? They seem to have a variety of flours and other ingredients.

I guess one of these days I'll have to do my duty for science, and drag myself to barnaby's.  I've never been much of a fan, but I can probably force myself to eat pizza....

Offline dms

I guess one of these days I'll have to do my duty for science, and drag myself to barnaby's.  I've never been much of a fan, but I can probably force myself to eat pizza....

So, I went to the barnaby's in Mishawaka yesterday.  About like I remember it, though the lack of cigarette smoke greatly improves the place.  pizza was okay, but expensive.  (cheap beer, if you like bud, though) I forgot to take a camera, so no pics of anything, sorry.  But I don't think there's any corn meal in the dough, except for the truly excessive amount they use on the surface. 

Offline BTB

So, I went to the barnaby's in Mishawaka yesterday.  pizza was okay, but expensive.  (cheap beer, if you like bud, though) I forgot to take a camera, so no pics of anything, sorry.  But I don't think there's any corn meal in the dough, except for the truly excessive amount they use on the surface. 
Boy, that differs from my experience at te Mishawaka Barnaby's, dms, but everyone's taste is  . . . different.  I found it  to be great when last there, rather than your "OK" rating, but that's what makes the world go around.  I sense that there is corn meal in their crust (which generally I don't like) but when it's good, it's good .  . . as it is at Barnablys.

There are alot of nuts (like me) on the lith forum who are similarly "nuts" about this pzza as I am (altho I love many other varieties, also).

--BTB

P.S.  I dislike Bud Lite immensely (or similar) but for some strange reason still like the original Bud only.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:31:22 PM by BTB »

pizzapan