Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Tonight's Pie
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
I made two pies tonight based on Foolish Poolish's formulation, which can be found here:

http://foolishpoolishbakes.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/pizza-a-casa-mia-part-2-neapolitan-style-pizza/#comments

I've been a long time admirer of his pizzas and have been wanting to try his Neapolitan pie for some time.  Foolish Poolish uses a starter, which he incorporates at step 2 of his method.  I don't have a starter, so he recommended that I use a yeasted big instead, which I did.  Here is my recipe and method:

-   615 g. flour
-   400 g. water
-   15g. salt
-   Pinch yeast

The above are divided into a yeasted biga and a 75% "autolyze" (as FP calls it) as follows:

75% Autolyze             Yeasted Biga
-   369 g flour             -    246 g flour
-   277 g water           -    123 g water
                                -   All yeast

The mixing and baking procedure was as follows:

1.   Mix yeasted biga
2.   Mix 75% hydration autolyze until evenly combined
3.   Allow both to ferment in a covered container at room temperature (70-75) for 12-14 hours (depending on room temp)
4.   Add biga, autolyse and salt to bowl and mix by hand until evenly combined
5.   Rest for 20 minutes
6.   Knead dough by taking the dough from the edge, stretching and folding it over the center. Continue working around the edge of the dough (turning the bowl with your other hand) until you have stretched about 30 to 40 times.
7.   Rest the dough for another 20 minutes.
8.   Knead the dough as before, one more time.
9.   Shape the dough into a rough ball and leave to ferment, covered, for a further hour.
10.   Divide and shape dough into three balls, roughly 343 g. each. 
11.    I refrigerated the dough for three days (departure from Foolish Poolish's method - see below).
12.    Take pizza out of fridge about 2 hours before baking.
13.   Put one pizza stone on highest rack and another on the lowest rack
14.   Preheat oven at 550 for two hours
15.   Bake on pizza stone on lowest rack for 3-4 min. (departure from Foolish Poolish's method)
16.    Transfer to stone under broiler for about 1 min.

Overall, I wasn't able to achieve the success that FP achieved.  The dough was easy to work with and very extensible, but didn't have very much oven spring.  I also didn't achieve the same level of char.  Note that I tried baking one pie following Foolish Poolish's fermentation (all room temp) and all broiler baking method, but this resulted in a crust that was slightly undercooked, which is why I switched to the bake/broil method.  I altered the fermentation method because I knew that I was having company tonight.   ;)

The first pizza was a bianco topped with roasted garlic, fior di latte, fontina, grana padano and fresh thyme (added post bake).  The second pizza was topped with a san marzano tomato sauce, fior di latte, fontina, goat cheese, kale and chopped fresh garlic.

Both pizzas were delicious.  The crust was very flavorful and achieved the desired crispy outside and chewy inside.    Here are some pics. 

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
And the tomato sauce, fior di latte, fontina, goat cheese, kale, garlic and lemon juice pie.

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »
BTW - the pie with kale was inspired by a recent posting by pizzablogger on his blog (http://www.pizzablogger.org/index.php/2010/01/20/home-pizza-making/homemade-pizzas-from-meh-to-good/).

Also, for what it's worth, my mother in law said that it tasted like "real pizza."  Go figure  ::)

Infoodel

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
Hey Drew,
That looks like some fine pizza!
The only thing I might change with that formula is to add a pinch of yeast in the final dough also. That might give you some of the 'spring' you're looking for. I have a sicilian dough recipe on my blog which is basically just that (biga + final flour, water + yeast).

Cheers,

Toby
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:30:14 PM by Infoodel »

Offline Pizza!!

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »
Looks good, are you entering the cheese pizza in the monthly challenge?  It's funny that you used tyme, as I was planning on putting some on my cheese pizza this friday.  ;D

pizzapan