Author Topic: My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today  (Read 11877 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
5 lb. of oregano?!  Wow! :o

Re; Pecorino Romano... I know it's convenient, but pre-grating is the kiss of death for hard cheeses because it exposes so much of the cheese to air, causing it to lose volatile flavor compounds.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
5 lb. of oregano?!  Wow! :o

Re; Pecorino Romano... I know it's convenient, but pre-grating is the kiss of death for hard cheeses because it exposes so much of the cheese to air, causing it to lose volatile flavor compounds.

Scott,

I plan to use the 5 lbs. of Greek Oregano on my Sicilian pies, or other pies as well. I might even put some in shakers for customers to try.  When I purchased oregano before from my distributor it also was in a 5 lb. box.  I do use regular Romano fine grated cheese on my Sicilian pies now and thought I would try the fine grated Percorino Romano Romano to see how it compares with the fine grated Romano.  I will wait and see how the Bova Percorino fine grated Romano tastes baked on a pie.  Did you ever try the fine grated Percorino Romano on a pie?  The 5 lb. box of Greek Oregano leaves was only 12.10, so I didn't think that was too bad.

Norma

Offline scott123

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
Norma,

If you're used to using grated Romano and switch to grated Pecorino Romano, then you will see a big jump in flavor. At the same time, though, it won't be as flavorful as freshly grated Pecorino, which is what I prefer. 

This being said, I would still be careful with the pre-grated Pecorino, as many people find Pecorino a bit too powerful tasting. I wouldn't put it in a anchovy category, but it's not for everyone- at least, not when you use it with a heavy hand. I think L&B uses the perfect amount.

Scott

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »
Norma,

If you're used to using grated Romano and switch to grated Pecorino Romano, then you will see a big jump in flavor. At the same time, though, it won't be as flavorful as freshly grated Pecorino, which is what I prefer. 

This being said, I would still be careful with the pre-grated Pecorino, as many people find Pecorino a bit too powerful tasting. I wouldn't put it in a anchovy category, but it's not for everyone- at least, not when you use it with a heavy hand. I think L&B uses the perfect amount.

Scott

Scott,

I never purchased grated Pecorino Romano before, but thought there might be a big jump in flavor.  That is the reason I wanted to try it out.  I also would prefer freshly grated Pecorino on pies I just make for myself or just when playing around with pizzas, but that would be too expensive for market. 

I will only try out a small amount of the grated Pecorino Romano at your advice.  ;D

Norma