Author Topic: My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today  (Read 12550 times)

Offline johnnytuinals

My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Well I have maybe enough Grande for 1 or 2  pizza's left in the Bag.

I felt since the weather calls for snow here and there  that it would be a great day to buy some food.
1 Case of Grande East Coast Blend shredded $77.10(last time the price was $83 a case}
6 Bags of Mozzarella sticks $5.74 per 2 lb bag
3 Cases of Annalisa Passata pizza sauce at $19.99 per case 12 bottles(best bottled Sauce I have tasted yet}
Case of Real breaded Veal 6lbs $32.50
And on my way home I stoped by a distributor and got a case of Meatballs $17.00.
Meatballs are great,was buying them at a farmers market at a much higher price untill I saw the box where they were buying their meatballs from lol.......

Over all this should last me awhile,,,but I do give away a few bags of Grande and Sauce to friends so they can also enjoy it..............JT

Offline Bob1

Re: My trip to Bova Foods in Pa. today
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »
JT,
I was just there yesterday.  I picked up the porcine mushrooms wrapped in pasta dough purses.  I highly recommend them.

Bob1

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
Among my favorites, the DeCecco tomatoes...less than 1.99/can by the case and maybe the best I have used.
I took a chance on their proscuitto...9.95 /lb and very,very good.
Also, the Castleventrano olives...I've tried them all and ....wow !
Great place.

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »
Bova is awesome.  I was there 2 weeks ago and picked up Grande Low-moisture, part-skim blocks for $2.44 lb.  Also picked up a 50 lb. bag of All Trumps for $17.   The time before last, I tried their house brand product "Bova Cucina" of cheese, high gluten flour and San Marzano sauce.  I wasn't all that impressed with their product line and the price wasn't that much better. 

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
Kemosa,
 I am sorry to hear that you did not like the Bova brand San Marzano tomatos.  I have always liked them and found them very close to the DOP and much better than the 6 in 1 that I use 70% of the time.  In fact I feel bad because I remember recomending them to you a while back with this post.

"Kemosa,
Have you ever tried the Bova Cuccina San Marzano whole tomatoes, in puree, with basil, in the 6lb can?  I found it to be pretty good.
I was asking Frank about the San Marzano products and he recommended it.  You can't go wrong for 8 bucks.

Bob1"

Once again sorry.  I got a can for Norma to try.  I hope she likes them.  These were the whole tomatos in puree with Basil correct?

Thanks,

Bob1

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
Its nice to see that we all know where to shop...
Most should try a bottle of Annalisa Passata pizza sauce .
They are good folks that work there................JT

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:39 PM »

I got a can for Norma to try.  I hope she likes them.  These were the whole tomatos in puree with Basil correct?

Thanks,

Bob1

Bob,

You got a can of Cucina Bova  Italian Peeled Tomatoes/with basil leaf for me to try.  I will try them on a pizza in the next week or two. 

Thanks for getting the can for me.  :)

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
Norma,
I hope you like them. I just finished eating a slice of cracker crust with fresh Mozz and those tomatos.  It was great.  I just added the spice on the pie after it was dressed so the true tomato flavor would come through.  Maybe my tastes are off or I guess it's possible he got a bad can.  Take a look when you open them, the inside of the can is even lined with plastic to keep them fresh.

Thanks,

Bob1

Offline Bob1

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:26:02 AM »
Norma,
Here is a few pics of yesterdays pie with the Bova Cucina San Marzano.  I also used a non Bova fresh Mozz that they sell in frozen Balls.  I do not recall the name.

Thanks,

Bob1

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Thats a great looking pie.

What crust recipe/process is that??

Offline Bob1

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
Erasmo,
I started a new thread for your request.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10148.new.html#new

Thanks

Bob1

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have to honestly have to say I really didn't care for them.  I found them somewhat tasteless, a pain to seed, and very watery.   I'm currently using 6 in 1 and Red Pack Crushed in heavy puree.   

Offline Bob1

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
Kemosa,
No problem.  Have you tried the DOP that they sell?  What brand of DOP do you use?  The taste is the taste but in regards to the water, whole tomatoes contain a lot.  I take the whole ones out of the puree and either puree or dice them and then simmer to remove the water.  If I puree them I try to simmer them until they have the same viscosity as the puree that they ship in.  I thought they had more of a fresh tomato taste.  I did use them for spaghetti sauce, but I prefer the 6 in 1 because I do not like to add paste.  I brown two whole pork butts with sausage in EVOO. add the 6 in 1, Garlic, and Pecorino Romano.  Then I cook it for three hours in my 22 Quart pot that I got at Bova for $62. There is a big difference between both products.  Once again, sorry I led you astray.

Thanks,

Bob1

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
Hey Bob,

No worries ! It was actually our man Frank at Bova that swayed me to try their brand.  Now that I think of it I do remember you recomending these, but no big deal, I like trying new brands.  I may try to cook them off (I have a can left) and see how they come out.  Sauce is the one area that I haven't nailed down yet..Again, please no apologies ..this is all good !

Offline Bob1

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 09:21:04 PM »
Kemosa,
Good to hear that.  Did any one try the limited edition Torrone at Christmas time?  I picked up a cube about 4" big for about $12 and it was unbelievable.  I tried to get another the week before Christmas and they were sold out.  Frank told me that he orders from Italy in August and when he's out, he's out. 
I also learned something at Bova the other day.  I used to always get the Partanna EVOO and he is out so I purchased a bottle of the Vil Di Mazara D.O.P for $14.  He had a store special, buy one and get a small bottle of balsamic vinegar free, red or white.  I had never heard of white balsamic vinegar before.  He said it is about the same except less viscous.  He also said that it was used more for chicken dishes when color is more important.  I have not tried it yet.

Thanks,

Bob1   

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »
Hmm..May have to try their EVOO.  Now my bill will be over $200 !

Offline Bob1

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »
Kemosa,
I love to dip Italian bread in olive oil with sliced garlic.  After I posted this last night I went to check out their web site.  I found that because it is DOP you can punch in the number on the bottle neck and it traces it for you.  It told me what area it came from and that 3999 bottles were shipped to PA.  Pretty cool.  Hey just a heads up.  I assume you are getting bromated All Trumps from Bova?  I used the bulk foods directory that was posted for Dutch Valley and it turns out that Landis markets Bakery department will get the KASL for about $25 for a 50# bag.  I have a bag of KASL and a bag of KA Artisan arriving Tuesday for $45.  I had talked to RichC and he was getting his from a place about 15 minutes north of Downingtown.  So bottom line is the Bulk Foods site works, and is great. 

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Yes I am using AT Bromated.  I could never find KASL convenient to me.  So are you saying that Landis Markets (the bakery dept.) will sell you 50lb. KASL for 25 bucks?..wow that's great.  I guess the closest to me would be Perkasie.  So who do you contact the Store Manager or do you call the bakery dept. directly ?   
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:48:55 AM by Kemosa »

Offline Bob1

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 12:10:10 PM »
Kemosa,

You can call the bakery dept or check the bulk food website from this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9464.0.html

or

http://www.discoverbulk.com/

These are the people who buy from Dutch Valley.  I am sure you may find some closer if you put your zip in, and make a few calls.  You should pay about $25 for 50#.  You may also want to check out Dutch Valley's website to get the product # so you are prepared and they do not order the wrong type.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
I'll give your suggestions a shot....Thanks Bob !

pizzapan