Author Topic: Tried A White Pizza Tonight  (Read 15955 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tried A White Pizza Tonight
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »
Norma,

I love oysters and clams so I liked the pizzas that used them. Both pizzas were very tasty. The jalapenos give the oyster pizza a nice "bite" without overwhelming the other flavors. Living in Texas, I am used to hot flavors. Jalapenos are quite mild to me.

The bacon and clams on the clam pizza are also a nice combination. FYI, Lombardi's in NYC makes a clam pizza although from recent reports it sounds like their clam pizza has gone downhill. Clam pizzas are also popular in New Haven.

Peter

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »
I'm planning to introduce a White Pizza with Bacon to our menu later this year.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

The jalapenos give the oyster pizza a nice "bite" without overwhelming the other flavors. Living in Texas, I am used to hot flavors. Jalapenos are quite mild to me.

Peter

Peter,

I will have to try the oyster pizza sometime with jalapenos.  I really like Mexican food and oysters, so I would probably like a White Pizza with jalapenos.  

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
RoadPizza,

Your White Pizza with bacon looks delicious.   :)

Best of Luck adding it to you menu,

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Road Pizza,
That's beautiful, Is that Zucchini?

Pete,
Your Clam & Oyster pies were great also,  Does it matter regarding time and temp when cooking seafood?  I have little experience with seafood and worry about turning it to rubber.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
Road Pizza,
That's beautiful, Is that Zucchini?

Thanks,

Bob

It's thinly sliced cucumber.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
Pete,
Your Clam & Oyster pies were great also,  Does it matter regarding time and temp when cooking seafood?  I have little experience with seafood and worry about turning it to rubber.

Bob,

I think it comes down to the size of the seafood items you put on the pizza. For example, if oysters and clams are on the large size, rather than chopped (the chopped ones are usually canned), then I might saute them a bit to firm them up before placing them on a pizza. For shrimp, I usually use Texas Gulf shrimp, which are very large, so I cut the shrimp into smaller pieces and place them raw on the pizza, as I described, for example, at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9362.msg81960.html#msg81960. How you treat the seafood will also depend on how long you plan to bake the pizza. If the bake time is long, the pieces don't have to be as small. But, you are correct that you have to manage things so that the seafood doesn't become rubbery.

I'm surprised no one has asked me for my recipe for another white pizza, the one with chicken livers, at Replies 3/5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8658.msg75948.html#msg75948. I'm sure that when Norma tells her customers about that one they will be begging her to put that pizza on her menu as a permanent addition. 

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
Peter,

LOL, what kind of pizza didnít you try? The Epicurean Pizza sounds interesting with the caramelized onions, mushrooms, and garlic, but I donít think many customers would appreciate the chicken livers.  I have thought about making a pizza with chicken though and using Frankís Red Hot Original added with butter.  I just havenít decided if I would like to try this on a White Pizza or a Regular Sauce Pizza.  I might try a White Pizza with the above mentioned ingredients. 
There is a place at market that does sell breaded chicken livers and gizzards.  They put them in a pressure fryer.  You would be surprised at how many fried chicken livers they sell.  I think there are going to be new Amish people that take over this stand.  I am sure they will make some great improvements to all their chicken items.  This stand is next to the Caramel Corn stand we used to have.  They always use fresh chicken livers and also coat them in a flour and other spice mixture.
There are also two markets stands that sell fresh chicken livers and other chicken, turkey, rabbit, and other poultry.  No need to look for fresh stuff at market..itís always there.
Your Epicurean Pizza does look good.

Thanks for the link,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
I have thought about making a pizza with chicken though and using Frankís Red Hot Original added with butter.  I just havenít decided if I would like to try this on a White Pizza or a Regular Sauce Pizza.  I might try a White Pizza with the above mentioned ingredients. 

Norma,

Yeah, I have tried a buffalo chicken pizza with a Frank's sauce too, using a modification of the Lehmann dough, at Reply 644 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg55299.html#msg55299, and also for a JerryMac dough using a Lehmann-inspired sponge preferment, at Replies 28/29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6515.msg62814.html#msg62814. The combination of toppings I used, which was inspired by what I had read over at the PMQ Think Tank by members who offer buffalo chicken pizzas with many variations of toppings, is very good in my opinion. I just picked the items that I like and used them together on my buffalo chicken pizzas.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
Peter,

I think you have tried just about every kind of pizza. :) Your Buffalo Chicken Pizza's look tasty.  The ingredients you added seemed to blend together, well.  In the Lehmann thread and using the Ranch dressing did you notice any problems with the ranch in the sauce?  Some people are turned off by the use of ranch dressing. The rest of the ingredients sound like something I would like to try. 
It is also interesting to see you used a sponge method that Tom Lehmann had suggested in making the JerryMacís recipe and also using the same ingredients for a Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
You had noted you personally would add some diastatic malt.  That is also something I might try in time in my dough.
Maybe in time and after experimenting, this could be the kind of Buffalo Chicken White Pizza I could include in my menu.

Thanks for the links,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
Norma,

I thought that the Ken's Ranch dressing was central to the success of the buffalo chicken pizzas I made. I think that Ken's makes some of the best supermarket dressings on the market. It is perhaps not well known but they also service the wholesale and foodservice markets, including many pizzerias. Interestingly, I found that the Ken's Ranch dressing blended into the rest of the ingredients in a way that obscured that it was a ranch dressing. At least that was my reaction. Yours might be different. A lot of places don't use blue cheese, which I love, because of its high cost or because a lot of people don't like pungent cheeses on their pizzas. Some pizza operators use gorgonzola instead, which is still pungent but usually less so than blue cheese, or they serve a blue cheese or similar dip on the side, sometimes with celery sticks. The idea is to marry the buffalo wings/tenders eating experience with pizza.

You don't have to use the Ken's Ranch dressing, of course. Although Ken's product is a popular one, as you will see at the PMQTT at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4808&p=27911&hilit=#p27813 and at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4808&p=27911&hilit=#p27911, Hidden Valley Ranch and Marzetti's are also popular ranch dressings with pizza operators, and there are other choices as well, including making your own.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
After roof raking today, I decided to make a White Pizza.  The pizza is dressed with cheese, pepperoni, and parsley.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
two closeups of the White Pizza

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
I've always heard it was a bad thing to eat yellow snow...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
TXCraig1,

I heard the same thing.   ::)

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. I've been baking a lot of pies lately experimenting with a new culture. Every batch includes a white pizza, usually just some some cheese, olive oil, maybe some garlic. For whatever reason, I'm just enjoying these white pies more than any of the others. And not just a little more. A lot more. Probably a temporary thing until I get tomatoes from my garden. But for now, white pies rule. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. I've been baking a lot of pies lately experimenting with a new culture. Every batch includes a white pizza, usually just some some cheese, olive oil, maybe some garlic. For whatever reason, I'm just enjoying these white pies more than any of the others. And not just a little more. A lot more. Probably a temporary thing until I get tomatoes from my garden. But for now, white pies rule. 

Bill,

It would be interesting to know what kind of base you use for the your White Pizza.  I did enjoy the White Pizza.  Do you use all fresh tomatoes for your pies, when the weather is better?  I had tried different times this summer using Roma tomatoes and other tomatoes I was growing and then making them into a sauce.  I couldnít get the flavor of the sauce right.  I had even added fresh basil, fresh oregano, mint, and parsley right out of the backyard, in different combinations. It seems Iím not that good at making sauces for pizza from all fresh ingredients.

Good  to hear that White Pies rule for you.  :)  I think I am going to give the Buffalo White Pizza a try this week at market. 

Do you mind telling me what kind of new culture you are experimenting with?  My natural starters are still doing well and I will experiment with them some more. 

What kind of flavor would you describe your crust when using your cultures?

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »
Bill,

It would be interesting to know what kind of base you use for the your White Pizza.  I did enjoy the White Pizza.  Do you use all fresh tomatoes for your pies, when the weather is better?  I had tried different times this summer using Roma tomatoes and other tomatoes I was growing and then making them into a sauce.  I couldnít get the flavor of the sauce right.  I had even added fresh basil, fresh oregano, mint, and parsley right out of the backyard, in different combinations. It seems Iím not that good at making sauces for pizza from all fresh ingredients.

Good  to hear that White Pies rule for you.  :)  I think I am going to give the Buffalo White Pizza a try this week at market. 

Do you mind telling me what kind of new culture you are experimenting with?  My natural starters are still doing well and I will experiment with them some more. 

What kind of flavor would you describe your crust when using your cultures?

Norma

Norma,

The base is my standard Neapolitan dough. I really love a slightly cooked sauce using fresh tomatoes. Turning canned tomatoes into a good sauce seems beyond my abilities. The new culture is one a friend captured in Tuscany. I'm still working on finding the right fermenting times/temps for pizza with this culture. Hard for me to describe the flavor; I've never been good at that. This one is quite mild with an aroma that reminds me of mushrooms a little. Sounds strange, I know.

Bill/SFNM

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
Norma,

This one is quite mild with an aroma that reminds me of mushrooms a little. Sounds strange, I know.

Bill/SFNM

Bill,

Thanks for the information.  Each of the natural starters I am maintaining all have different aromas, so I can relate to what you are saying.  It's kind of like having some kind of pet and each one acts different.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
I made another White Pizza today.  This White Pizza was made with the poolish preferment for the Lehmann dough.  After reading about Peterís Buffalo White Pizza, I decided to make a Buffalo White Pizza. 

The White Pizza was dressed with Kenís Ranch Dressing, Franks Cayenne Hot Sauce, chicken I had baked in the deck oven with a little fresh parsley, fresh garlic, and fresh basil, mixed with olive oil, some mozzarella and crumbled blue cheese.  I added the Franks Cayenne Hot Sauce and butter to the chicken and mixed together. 

Even my daughter, who is getting sick of me making all these kinds of pizza, really liked this pizza.   ;D She is getting to the point of saying..No, not more pizza.  We all like hot wings, and this White Buffalo Pizza tasted just like hot wings.  She even said this was the best pizza I made.

I still must say, baking a pizza in a deck oven is easier than my home oven. 

Norma
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:44:43 PM by norma427 »

pizzapan