Author Topic: Tried A White Pizza Tonight  (Read 22858 times)

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Tried A White Pizza Tonight
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
Road Pizza,
That's beautiful, Is that Zucchini?

Thanks,

Bob

It's thinly sliced cucumber.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
Pete,
Your Clam & Oyster pies were great also,  Does it matter regarding time and temp when cooking seafood?  I have little experience with seafood and worry about turning it to rubber.

Bob,

I think it comes down to the size of the seafood items you put on the pizza. For example, if oysters and clams are on the large size, rather than chopped (the chopped ones are usually canned), then I might saute them a bit to firm them up before placing them on a pizza. For shrimp, I usually use Texas Gulf shrimp, which are very large, so I cut the shrimp into smaller pieces and place them raw on the pizza, as I described, for example, at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9362.msg81960.html#msg81960. How you treat the seafood will also depend on how long you plan to bake the pizza. If the bake time is long, the pieces don't have to be as small. But, you are correct that you have to manage things so that the seafood doesn't become rubbery.

I'm surprised no one has asked me for my recipe for another white pizza, the one with chicken livers, at Replies 3/5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8658.msg75948.html#msg75948. I'm sure that when Norma tells her customers about that one they will be begging her to put that pizza on her menu as a permanent addition. 

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
Peter,

LOL, what kind of pizza didnít you try? The Epicurean Pizza sounds interesting with the caramelized onions, mushrooms, and garlic, but I donít think many customers would appreciate the chicken livers.  I have thought about making a pizza with chicken though and using Frankís Red Hot Original added with butter.  I just havenít decided if I would like to try this on a White Pizza or a Regular Sauce Pizza.  I might try a White Pizza with the above mentioned ingredients. 
There is a place at market that does sell breaded chicken livers and gizzards.  They put them in a pressure fryer.  You would be surprised at how many fried chicken livers they sell.  I think there are going to be new Amish people that take over this stand.  I am sure they will make some great improvements to all their chicken items.  This stand is next to the Caramel Corn stand we used to have.  They always use fresh chicken livers and also coat them in a flour and other spice mixture.
There are also two markets stands that sell fresh chicken livers and other chicken, turkey, rabbit, and other poultry.  No need to look for fresh stuff at market..itís always there.
Your Epicurean Pizza does look good.

Thanks for the link,

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
I have thought about making a pizza with chicken though and using Frankís Red Hot Original added with butter.  I just havenít decided if I would like to try this on a White Pizza or a Regular Sauce Pizza.  I might try a White Pizza with the above mentioned ingredients. 

Norma,

Yeah, I have tried a buffalo chicken pizza with a Frank's sauce too, using a modification of the Lehmann dough, at Reply 644 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg55299.html#msg55299, and also for a JerryMac dough using a Lehmann-inspired sponge preferment, at Replies 28/29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6515.msg62814.html#msg62814. The combination of toppings I used, which was inspired by what I had read over at the PMQ Think Tank by members who offer buffalo chicken pizzas with many variations of toppings, is very good in my opinion. I just picked the items that I like and used them together on my buffalo chicken pizzas.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
Peter,

I think you have tried just about every kind of pizza. :) Your Buffalo Chicken Pizza's look tasty.  The ingredients you added seemed to blend together, well.  In the Lehmann thread and using the Ranch dressing did you notice any problems with the ranch in the sauce?  Some people are turned off by the use of ranch dressing. The rest of the ingredients sound like something I would like to try. 
It is also interesting to see you used a sponge method that Tom Lehmann had suggested in making the JerryMacís recipe and also using the same ingredients for a Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
You had noted you personally would add some diastatic malt.  That is also something I might try in time in my dough.
Maybe in time and after experimenting, this could be the kind of Buffalo Chicken White Pizza I could include in my menu.

Thanks for the links,

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
Norma,

I thought that the Ken's Ranch dressing was central to the success of the buffalo chicken pizzas I made. I think that Ken's makes some of the best supermarket dressings on the market. It is perhaps not well known but they also service the wholesale and foodservice markets, including many pizzerias. Interestingly, I found that the Ken's Ranch dressing blended into the rest of the ingredients in a way that obscured that it was a ranch dressing. At least that was my reaction. Yours might be different. A lot of places don't use blue cheese, which I love, because of its high cost or because a lot of people don't like pungent cheeses on their pizzas. Some pizza operators use gorgonzola instead, which is still pungent but usually less so than blue cheese, or they serve a blue cheese or similar dip on the side, sometimes with celery sticks. The idea is to marry the buffalo wings/tenders eating experience with pizza.

You don't have to use the Ken's Ranch dressing, of course. Although Ken's product is a popular one, as you will see at the PMQTT at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4808&p=27911&hilit=#p27813 and at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4808&p=27911&hilit=#p27911, Hidden Valley Ranch and Marzetti's are also popular ranch dressings with pizza operators, and there are other choices as well, including making your own.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
After roof raking today, I decided to make a White Pizza.  The pizza is dressed with cheese, pepperoni, and parsley.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
two closeups of the White Pizza

Norma

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
I've always heard it was a bad thing to eat yellow snow...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
TXCraig1,

I heard the same thing.   ::)

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. I've been baking a lot of pies lately experimenting with a new culture. Every batch includes a white pizza, usually just some some cheese, olive oil, maybe some garlic. For whatever reason, I'm just enjoying these white pies more than any of the others. And not just a little more. A lot more. Probably a temporary thing until I get tomatoes from my garden. But for now, white pies rule. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. I've been baking a lot of pies lately experimenting with a new culture. Every batch includes a white pizza, usually just some some cheese, olive oil, maybe some garlic. For whatever reason, I'm just enjoying these white pies more than any of the others. And not just a little more. A lot more. Probably a temporary thing until I get tomatoes from my garden. But for now, white pies rule. 

Bill,

It would be interesting to know what kind of base you use for the your White Pizza.  I did enjoy the White Pizza.  Do you use all fresh tomatoes for your pies, when the weather is better?  I had tried different times this summer using Roma tomatoes and other tomatoes I was growing and then making them into a sauce.  I couldnít get the flavor of the sauce right.  I had even added fresh basil, fresh oregano, mint, and parsley right out of the backyard, in different combinations. It seems Iím not that good at making sauces for pizza from all fresh ingredients.

Good  to hear that White Pies rule for you.  :)  I think I am going to give the Buffalo White Pizza a try this week at market. 

Do you mind telling me what kind of new culture you are experimenting with?  My natural starters are still doing well and I will experiment with them some more. 

What kind of flavor would you describe your crust when using your cultures?

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »
Bill,

It would be interesting to know what kind of base you use for the your White Pizza.  I did enjoy the White Pizza.  Do you use all fresh tomatoes for your pies, when the weather is better?  I had tried different times this summer using Roma tomatoes and other tomatoes I was growing and then making them into a sauce.  I couldnít get the flavor of the sauce right.  I had even added fresh basil, fresh oregano, mint, and parsley right out of the backyard, in different combinations. It seems Iím not that good at making sauces for pizza from all fresh ingredients.

Good  to hear that White Pies rule for you.  :)  I think I am going to give the Buffalo White Pizza a try this week at market. 

Do you mind telling me what kind of new culture you are experimenting with?  My natural starters are still doing well and I will experiment with them some more. 

What kind of flavor would you describe your crust when using your cultures?

Norma

Norma,

The base is my standard Neapolitan dough. I really love a slightly cooked sauce using fresh tomatoes. Turning canned tomatoes into a good sauce seems beyond my abilities. The new culture is one a friend captured in Tuscany. I'm still working on finding the right fermenting times/temps for pizza with this culture. Hard for me to describe the flavor; I've never been good at that. This one is quite mild with an aroma that reminds me of mushrooms a little. Sounds strange, I know.

Bill/SFNM

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
Norma,

This one is quite mild with an aroma that reminds me of mushrooms a little. Sounds strange, I know.

Bill/SFNM

Bill,

Thanks for the information.  Each of the natural starters I am maintaining all have different aromas, so I can relate to what you are saying.  It's kind of like having some kind of pet and each one acts different.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
I made another White Pizza today.  This White Pizza was made with the poolish preferment for the Lehmann dough.  After reading about Peterís Buffalo White Pizza, I decided to make a Buffalo White Pizza. 

The White Pizza was dressed with Kenís Ranch Dressing, Franks Cayenne Hot Sauce, chicken I had baked in the deck oven with a little fresh parsley, fresh garlic, and fresh basil, mixed with olive oil, some mozzarella and crumbled blue cheese.  I added the Franks Cayenne Hot Sauce and butter to the chicken and mixed together. 

Even my daughter, who is getting sick of me making all these kinds of pizza, really liked this pizza.   ;D She is getting to the point of saying..No, not more pizza.  We all like hot wings, and this White Buffalo Pizza tasted just like hot wings.  She even said this was the best pizza I made.

I still must say, baking a pizza in a deck oven is easier than my home oven. 

Norma
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:44:43 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
Norma,

That is also a very nice pizza. Did anyone comment on the Ranch dressing on the pizza, one way or the other? Also, did you sell any of the slices (as your sign suggests) and, if so, how did they go over?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

That is also a very nice pizza. Did anyone comment on the Ranch dressing on the pizza, one way or the other? Also, did you sell any of the slices (as your sign suggests) and, if so, how did they go over?

Peter,

Thanks for saying that is a nice pizza.  You were right, about the Ranch dressing adding to the flavor of the Buffalo Chicken White Pizza.  My daughter and I each had one slice.  I sold 3 slices.  My daughter also wanted to take a slice along home to eat.  She already ate the other slice.  :)
I am going to start making the White Buffalo Pie for market.  I think this pie is different and since most people like wings, hopefully they will like this pie.  I usually make a sign if I am going to try a new kind of pizza.  Then if I decide the pie was good, I already have a sign made.

Thanks for the idea,  :)

Norma

scott123

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
Norma, I'm in the process of developing a buffalo chicken pizza for myself, so I've been mulling this topic over in my mind quite a bit during the last few days.

It sounds like you and your daughter are extremely pleased with your results, but if you were open to a little more tweaking, I have an idea or two.

I think a bit part of the buffalo chicken experience is a warm, spicy wing with cold tangy dressing. Also, when you cook creamy dressing it basically just separates into it's primary ingredient- oil.  I like pretty rich pizzas, but between the butter in sauce and the milkfat in the cheese, the extra oiliness from the cooked dressing might be overkill.  You might want to think about dressing the pie when you sell it.  Have two ketchup bottles- one with ranch and one with blue cheese and ask the customer what they want.  With a little practice, you can probably do a pretty design in a few seconds.

That should allow you to ease off on a bit of the oiliness and give your customers that warm chicken + cool dressing experience. It would also make the blue cheese optional, something that could appeal to more customers. I've never seen any numbers on this, but I think there's a good number of people out there that just don't like blue cheese. Another thing to consider is that warmth magnifies flavors, so, even for people that like chilled blue cheese dressing, warm blue cheese in a pizza might be a little too intense.

You know your customers.  If you think you have some blue cheese loving customers that you know are going to love this, then, by all means do what you're doing. But if you want to cast the widest net possible, I'd make the blue cheese optional.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »
Norma, I'm in the process of developing a buffalo chicken pizza for myself, so I've been mulling this topic over in my mind quite a bit during the last few days.

It sounds like you and your daughter are extremely pleased with your results, but if you were open to a little more tweaking, I have an idea or two.

I think a bit part of the buffalo chicken experience is a warm, spicy wing with cold tangy dressing. Also, when you cook creamy dressing it basically just separates into it's primary ingredient- oil.  I like pretty rich pizzas, but between the butter in sauce and the milkfat in the cheese, the extra oiliness from the cooked dressing might be overkill.  You might want to think about dressing the pie when you sell it.  Have two ketchup bottles- one with ranch and one with blue cheese and ask the customer what they want.  With a little practice, you can probably do a pretty design in a few seconds.

That should allow you to ease off on a bit of the oiliness and give your customers that warm chicken + cool dressing experience. It would also make the blue cheese optional, something that could appeal to more customers. I've never seen any numbers on this, but I think there's a good number of people out there that just don't like blue cheese. Another thing to consider is that warmth magnifies flavors, so, even for people that like chilled blue cheese dressing, warm blue cheese in a pizza might be a little too intense.

You know your customers.  If you think you have some blue cheese loving customers that you know are going to love this, then, by all means do what you're doing. But if you want to cast the widest net possible, I'd make the blue cheese optional.

scott123,

I will also have to think about your ideas on how you think the Buffalo White Pizza might be made. Maybe it would be a good idea to have both dressing in a ketchup bottle.  The only problems I could foresee with that idea is having the bottles out of the deli case. When a food inspector comes to inspect my stand, I would need to keep the dressings in the deli case and then get them out for each customer that would want dressings.  The design work is interesting. The pizza didnít seem greasy.  I didnít put as much mozzarella on this pie as my regular pies.
Let me know when you are finished tweaking your Buffalo White Pizza and how you think the taste is.  Your input would be helpful.
We have a place near us that sells wings.  I know everyone likes different kind of wings, so my opinion isnít always right.  I love the wings from Mosbyís Pub.  Here is a link and the awards from Lancaster County people that voted them ďThe Best WingsĒ in our local newspaper.
I thought the pizza tasted just like their wings.

At first I thought using the Ranch Dressing in combination with the Blue Cheese Crumbles didnít sound very good, but after trying it, I really liked the combination of the dressing and blue cheese.               

http://www.mosbyspub.com/page14/page14.html wings awards

http://www.mosbyspub.com/page1/files/page1_1.pdf  whole menu

Spicy Chikin Wings - $5.95 perDozen
$3.00 per _ Dozen
$1.00 - celery and blue cheez

Thanks for your ideas,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:38:18 AM by norma427 »

scott123

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 01:42:58 AM »
Norma, I'm sure the food inspector wouldn't mind if you keep the ketchup bottles in a small container of ice.

On the other hand, if your pizza has, in your opinion, an award winning taste, then don't mess with success.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »
Norma, I'm sure the food inspector wouldn't mind if you keep the ketchup bottles in a small container of ice.

On the other hand, if your pizza has, in your opinion, an award winning taste, then don't mess with success.

scott123 ,

Keeping the ketchup bottles in ice is a possibility.  I am open to any new ideas and am not sure if this Buffalo White Pizza was the best there could be.  I have never tried any kind of pizza made with chicken before.  As you said before, each persons taste is different.  I will have to try your idea of a comparison between the two ways to make this pizza.  I do have ketchup bottles at market from when I was trying to sell wings.  I gave up on that idea because I had to make the wings in the oven and they were too time consuming and expensive.  I am not allowed to have a fryer because I don't have an exhaust hood and Ansul system.
When I have time in the next few weeks, I will try your idea and get the other stand holders to taste each kind of Buffalo White Pizza and see what they have to say. 

Thanks for your ideas,  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:24:57 AM by norma427 »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »
Norma,

A chef friend gave me some of these squeeze bottles.

http://www.fifobottle.com/

Easy to clean and dispense. Amazon sells them.

For a white sauce, the legendary Big Bob Gibson has a white BBQ sauce that many have tried to duplicate. This is the best one I have found:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe/index.html

I've used it with smoked chicken pizza. Really good.

scott123

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »
Norma, you're welcome.  :)

When you say this is the first time you've tried a chicken pizza, do you mean the first time you've made a chicken pizza or the first time you've eaten one? I tried my first chicken pizza only a few months ago at California Pizza Kitchen.  Speaking of CPH, if, in your travels, you happen to find yourself near a CPH, I think it's worth a visit.  I can't endorse it, persay (I wouldn't about able to show my face around here :) ), but, if you want to see another take on chicken pizza, CPH, to me, with their bbq chicken and onions, is the definitive pie.  Wolfgang Puck was one of the first, nationally, to push the topping envelope, but I think CPH really put chicken pizza on the map.

I did a CPH location search and came up with 3 for PA- King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting and Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:46:29 AM by scott123 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for sharing the link for the bottles and for telling me where to buy them.  :)  Big Bob's Gibson's White Sauce sounds interesting.  It seems like a coleslaw mixture base with the addition of horseradish. In using the mayonnaise it could almost taste like Ranch Dressing.  The cayenne pepper could add the needed kick for a chicken sauce base.  There is a stand at our market that sell Long's horseradish. http://longshorseradish.wordpress.com. Pictures of grinding Long's Horseradish at Central Market at bottom of page. http://www.davidschrott.com/longs/web/ The aroma is amazing. This Big Bobís Gibsonís White Sauce could also be something to try in addition to Franksís sauce with or without cayenne.

Thanks for the ideas,

Norma

scott123,

I never have eaten any kind of pizza made with chicken, so that also means I never tried to make pizza with chicken. Since I have never used chicken as an ingredient, there could be many possibilities.  I used to make chicken quesadillas at my funnel cake stand and with them I had experimented in finding the right flavors.  I will have to look up about Wolfgang Puck and see what he does. 
The 3 CPA places you mentioned are about an hour away from me.  If I get around that area sometime, I will try their pizza.

Thanks again for the references and ideas,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:17:41 PM by norma427 »