Author Topic: Tried A White Pizza Tonight  (Read 17053 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Tried A White Pizza Tonight
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:37 PM »
jcamador,

Thanks for the kind words.  :)  I get inspiration from looking looking at everyone's pies and their recipes and also how they go about making their pies.  They are all so different, but all sound good to me.  I also like to watch how people progress in their pizza making skills. 

Thanks again,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
Eating my curds and whey by: NormaĖMiss Muffet White Pizza Pie

Little Miss Muffet,

Nursery Rhyme & History

Story of the Little Miss Muffet Rhyme
Little Miss Muffet was a small girl whose name was Patience Muffet. Her stepfather, Dr. Muffet (1553-1604) was a famous entomologist who wrote the first scientific catalogue of British Insects. Whilst eating her breakfast of curds and whey Little Miss Muffet was frightened by one of his spiders and ran away! This particular Nursery Rhyme of Little Miss Muffet reputedly dates back to the late 16th century as indicated by the birth date of Dr Muffet! Unlikely story about Patience Muffet!

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey,
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away

So, the story goes or other versions of it. 

I had made fresh mozzarella, ricotta and pizza dough with whey to replace the water, yesterday. 
The dough was made into a white pizza today. 

2 Ĺ cups KAAP flour and Ĺ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 cup of fresh warm whey
2 tablespoons olive oil

Left the dough in the refrigerator to cold ferment for 24 hours.  The dough more than doubled in size until today.  The dough ball was okay to open and I decided to try this dough in the deep-dish pan because I liked the results when trying the preferment with poolish of the Lehmann dough in this pan.  I oiled the pan with Crisco.  The pie was dressed with cherry tomatoes, panko seasoned bread crumbs, 3 garlic cloves, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes,1 large shallot, that were mixed with olive oil and broiled in the oven. The dough was brushed with olive oil and then dressed with the above mixture.  Fresh mozzarella was cut into diced pieces and dollops of ricotta were dropped on the pie.  The pie was baked in the middle rack of the oven.  The crust on the bottom didnít seem finished, so the pizza stone was already on the bottom rack, so I transferred the pie to the bottom rack for a few minutes.

I really enjoyed the taste of this pie.  The hot pepper flakes gave it a little kick and the fresh mozzarella and ricotta really added to this Little Miss Muffet White Pie.

Norma

I forgot to mention, I needed to add a little more water to the whey for the dough to be moist enough.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:00:16 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline orlando pizza man 1

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »
Norma, That pizza looks "whey" delicious!!  Where did you get the whey? Did you make your own cheese for the pizza? What type of oil did you use for the pan? I'm going to have to try that pizza soon. I enjoy your posts and you sound like quite a cook. Keep up the great work!!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 08:58:29 PM »
Norma, That pizza looks "whey" delicious!!  Where did you get the whey? Did you make your own cheese for the pizza? What type of oil did you use for the pan? I'm going to have to try that pizza soon. I enjoy your posts and you sound like quite a cook. Keep up the great work!!

orlando pizza man 1,

Thanks for saying the pizza looks "whey" delicious. lol  I made mozzarella and had all the leftover whey. There is quite a bit of whey left, when making fresh mozzarella. Yes, I did make the mozzarella, ricotta and saved some whey for the pizza.  I used Crisco oil to grease the deep-dish pan.  Hope if you try this kind of pizza it turns out good for you.
Thanks for saying you enjoy reading my posts,

Norma

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »
I'd like to thank Peter and Norma for inspiring me to do a Buffalo Chicken Pizza.  I did one today and was very happy with the taste (and everyone else who tried it seemed to really enjoy it also)!  I didn't take any pictures yet - it's still very much a work-in-progress visually, but I can see us adding it to our menu in a few months time (after a little more tinkering). 

Thanks again!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »
RoadPizza,

Thank you for saying Peter and I were an inspiration for you to try a Buffalo Pizza.  I also really enjoyed the Buffalo Pizza.  I have to experiment more with this kind of pizza, too.  Good to hear you and your taste samplers did like the Buffalo Pizza.  :) The pictures of your pies are always an inspiration to me.  You seem to get all the right ingredients and also to be able to make a pie that is visually appealing. 

Did you see Billsís pizza at the Monthly Challenge? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10176.msg91019.html#msg91019 He did the Big Bob Gibson's BBQ sauce on pizza.  I wanted to try this recipe yesterday, but didnít find the time.  I think the Big Bob Gibsonís BBQ pizza would also be tasty.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe/index.html

Thanks,

Norma

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
I did finally get a photographer to shoot the White Pizza with Bacon today.  Here's one of the pictures:

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »
Norma,

The Gibson's sauce in that recipe is a little watery for pizza. You may want to slowly add the water at the end if you want a thicker sauce. It was great!

Bill/SFNM

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 07:56:18 AM »
RoadPizza,

Did you see Bills’s pizza at the Monthly Challenge? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10176.msg91019.html#msg91019 He did the Big Bob Gibson's BBQ sauce on pizza.  I wanted to try this recipe yesterday, but didn’t find the time.  I think the Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ pizza would also be tasty.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe/index.html

Thanks,

Norma

I'd like to try it, but I would have a hard time sourcing a supplier for it here.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 08:02:04 AM »
Here's another shot:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 08:04:16 AM »
RoadPizza,

The pictures of your White Pizza with Bacon look delicious.  :)  You must have a special test kitchen to be able to produce such visually beautiful pizzas.  Good luck in trying all your kinds of pies.

Thanks for the pictures of your White Pizza with Bacon,

Norma

Bill,

I also want to thank you for sharing the recipe for the BBQ Gibsonís sauce.  :)  Thanks for telling how you think the water has to be added slowly to try this recipe.  Your BBQ pizza with the Gibsonís sauce really sounds great.  When I get time, I want to try that, also.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
RoadPizza,

The pictures of your White Pizza with Bacon look delicious.  :)  You must have a special test kitchen to be able to produce such visually beautiful pizzas.  Good luck in trying all your kinds of pies.

Thanks for the pictures of your White Pizza with Bacon,

Norma

Thanks!  We don't have a test kitchen for this stuff.  A lot of it is pretty much trial-and-error during a store's slower meal periods (like today).  We just shot this in the back of the dining room area.  I didn't make this one since I have a pretty good rapport with the pizza man, so he was able to pretty much follow the recipe and instructions I gave him.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:54 AM »
Thanks!  We don't have a test kitchen for this stuff.  A lot of it is pretty much trial-and-error during a store's slower meal periods (like today).  We just shot this in the back of the dining room area.  I didn't make this one since I have a pretty good rapport with the pizza man, so he was able to pretty much follow the recipe and instructions I gave him.

RoadPizza,

Then it must be you in trying all these new ideas. You are doing a great job!  :)

Norma

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »
RoadPizza,

Then it must be you in trying all these new ideas. You are doing a great job!  :)

Norma

I just take a LOT of notes, so I can remember what I liked and disliked about each recipe testing.  Working with different pizza makers helps a lot, too, because I have to make the recipes pretty much idiot-proof so the pies would come out consistent in taste and quality.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
I just take a LOT of notes, so I can remember what I liked and disliked about each recipe testing.  Working with different pizza makers helps a lot, too, because I have to make the recipes pretty much idiot-proof so the pies would come out consistent in taste and quality.

RoadPizza,

Yes, I take a lot of notes too.  I need to get all my notes organized.  I can understand you must get your recipes down pat to be able to produce you pizza being the same, no matter what pizza maker  tries them.  It must take a lot of work.  :-\

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
RoadPizza and Norma,

I saw a post recently at the PMQ Think Tank, at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=58373#p58373, where the poster (RaymikR) added a twist to the buffalo chicken pizza concept by combining the chicken with macaroni and cheese. He said that the mac and cheese was from Kraft's, and is delivered in frozen form. I have not heard of Kraft offering a mac and cheese foodservice product, but I assume that any good mac and cheese would work. I tracked down a Facebook photo of the buffalo chicken mac and cheese pizza at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3146644&id=117543014102. I'm sure you guys can come up with a prettier version if you tackled that version. There are actually several places in New York City that offer a mac and cheese pizza so there is already a market for that type of pizza, albeit a very small one compared with the more traditional NY style pizzas.

RoadPizza, good luck with the introduction of the buffalo chicken pizza to the Sbarro Philippines market. It will be interesting to get customer feedback.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the additional links about the Buffalo Chicken Pizza with the additional twist of macaroni and cheese.  Maybe some day I will try that. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »
I made two White Pizzas today.  The one is was made this afternoon with pretzel dough at Reply 8
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10286.msg91547.html#msg91547 and the other White Pizza I made tonight was from a frozen dough ball that was the regular Lehmann dough.  The White Pizza I made tonight was a Buffalo Chicken Pizza with bacon, that Peter had directed me to before.  This time I didnít use crumbled blue cheese, but had Kenís Blue Cheese Dressing and drizzled on before eating.  This White Buffalo Chicken Pizza was excellent in my opinion.  The pie was dressed first with Kenís Ranch Dressing, then chicken I had fried with white sweet onions and garlic, added some Frankís Red Hot Original with added butter, mozzarella, and bacon. 
While I did really enjoy this Buffalo Chicken Pizza, what I canít understand is how my crust got so nice and airy in my home oven, only at 450 degrees F. The crunchy rim was delicious in my opinion.  I am now wondering if my pizza oven at market needs to go down a notch to achieve this light and airy crust.  ::)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma