Author Topic: Shipping Flour to Australia  (Read 2676 times)

Offline heliman

Shipping Flour to Australia
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
Hello ...

I am looking at shipping some Caputo flour to Australia and have approached the quarantine authorities here about the legalities of bringing the flour into the country and the were non commital and wouldn't provide a direct yes/no answer.

So I was just wondering if anyone in Australia has ordered flour from overseas and had it shipped to Australia, and if so, if it got through OK. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars if there is no likelyhood of the flour getting through.

I would be keen to hear from anyone that has shipped flour to Australia, and to hear of their experience - good/bad..

Many thanks

Rossco

(Perth, Western Australia)

Offline heliman

Re: Shipping Flour to Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
Anybody??????

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »
reviving this thread....

You can get Caputo in Sydney. It costs about $40 to ship from Sydney probably to WA. There's one company that sells 25kg for $70 and another for exactly $140. Why double the price for the same thing I don't know.

5 Kg of High Gluten Bread Flour milled in OZ costs about $50 for 25kg anyway.... so $70 is not a bad price, but the shipping.... I suppose one lives with that in OZ.
 :(

Offline heliman

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply..

What is the name of he company that sells bags of Caputo for $70?

Rossco

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »
http://shop.icnussa.com.au/p/8620492/caputo-pizza-flour-00-25kg.html

Call and speak to Enrico. Tell him Ray in Gold Coast told you about it. Maybe we can increase demand in OZ.
Enrico told me in no uncertain terms and with perfect pronunciation "you cannot get Caputo in Queensland.".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:15:03 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline heliman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Excellent find - thanks for that. I will certainly give Enrico a call. I did see that it says "Pickup or Sydney metro delivery only" so hopefully he can help me out with a bag to get things started...

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
Lario charges 140 bucks per bag  :o

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:13 AM »
Enrico is shipping me a 25KG bag all in for $105 AUD, from Sydney, to GC,  via TNT. :D

Offline heliman

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
Excellent - that's great deal.

I need to arrange a pickup from his place so will see if I can round up a few friends that like quality pizzas and get a decent order together.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
If you can get the domestic, organic, Australian hard white wheat milled with no additives (comes with the "organic" territory) that might also be a pretty good alternative for a lower cost Caputo-00 flour. The protein range is even similar. But I don't know anything about the availability of domestic organic flour there. Just a thought.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »
There's this from Lighthouse:

http://lighthousebaking.com.au/tippo-00-vs-bread-pizza-flour-whats-the-difference-402/

I've used small quantities of lighthouse, and it's good. I normally use Defiance bread flour, which I think is milled in Queensland. (The old mill was up for sale).
Easier to buy big bags of Defiance for me. In OZ, the protein or gluten level is supposed to be marked, and the one's I use are about 11 or 12%, last time I checked. But wanna try Caputo anyway....though I may use Defiance or Lighthouse more regularly  if the consequence is not striking enough to justify the difference in price.

Offline heliman

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:07 AM »
I look for ward to getting your comments on the cost/benefit of using Caputo. If it's good enough for Da Michele ...!!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
And if I remember correctly, in Australia the flour is milled to a slightly greater/higher extraction rate due to the white wheat being milled, and this would account for the slightly higher ash content of Australian flours. To my way of thinking, ash content is more important in flour that will be used for white bread production than in pizza production (taking into account only the impact on crumb color). From a more technical aspect, ash content can be indicative of other flour characteristics too.

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »
Thanks for that observation Tom. It's been some time since I read up on ash content and its effect on the bread, but I do recall the ash content being particular to the characteristics of Italian flour. So Aussie floor is generally OK you think? I've had no issues with it, it is definitely better than the flour I used to use in the UK (we moved here only a year ago).

Caputo arrived safely yesterday from Sydney, and I'll make some pizza this weekend.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »
The thing about ash content of flour is that it imparts a dull, or some might say a grayish cast to the crumb structure. It used to be important that bread had a very brilliant, white crumb, but in today's world the average consumer doesn't really look for that anymore, infact, a yellowish/creamy crumb color is more typical today due to unbleached flour. In pizza crusts there is such a small portion of crumb in the crust that crumb color is a moot issue, additionally, with all of the toppings being dragged down over the crumb no one ever really sees the crumb color anyhow. The other thing about the ash content is that while some wheat will typically produce flour with a higher ash content, more commonly, the higher ash content is introduced into the flour through a longer extraction rate (amount of flour milled from a given amount of wheat). Hence a 76% extraction rate would mean that 76-pounds of flour were extracted from 100-pounds of wheat. Typically, the higher the extraction rate, the higher the ash content of the finished flour. This is due to milling the wheat closer to the bran (fiber) portion of the wheat berry. The flour that is extracted this close to the bran contains protein, but not a high quality, gluten forming protein, hence the resulting, high ash content flour will contain a higher protein content than the same wheat milled to a lower extraction rate. This is why we sometimes see higher protein content for flour made from white wheat varieties which don't perform quite the same as a slightly lower protein content flour produced from a hard red wheat variety. Due to the lighter color of the bran in white wheat is is more common for the miller to mill to a slightly higher extraction, to get a better yield while still retaining an acceptably white color. Red wheats, having a darker colored bran, on the other hand are milled to a slightly lower extraction to retain an acceptably white color, hence the protein is more of the high quality, gluten forming protein.
There is still a whole lot more to bran, but this covers most of what is important to us here.

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:55 PM »
Thanks for that Tom!

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 05:19:13 AM »
I look for ward to getting your comments on the cost/benefit of using Caputo. If it's good enough for Da Michele ...!!

Made some dough late this morning, usual recipe, except Caputo this time -100% caputo, 65% Gold Coast water, 2% salt and some yeast, no sugar,  hand kneaded, baked 3 pies this evening, no real photos to show, was too busy eating, tried my phone but it is winter and darker now, and don't really have any decent pics, mostly bad shots as illustrated by one. Is there a difference between Caputo and the high protein Defiance flour or Lighthouse flour I have been using? My wife, who is more sensitive says yes, I think so too...but is the difference enough to justify the cost difference?

Caputo couriered to me is about $4.20 per kg from Incussa
Lighthouse is $4.00 per kg from Woolworths  - http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails?stockcode=262665, you can get it for $3.XX AUD and that is what I remember paying.
Defiance is $2.XX per kg. I normally pay $10 for 5kg   - http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails?stockcode=262665#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Ddefiance%2Bflour

Could anyone tell if it was Caputo or not? .....not really, but the pizza would have that random bulbous quality when baked that I don't get with the other flour.

Scoffed everything between 3 of us.
The difference is slight I'd say, (having done only one Caputo bake) but at this point I'd keep getting the Caputo now that I have a source,

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »
Leftover dough from weekend, refrigerated and made into lunch today. Better shot this time, soft focus near and far shot. Hungarian Salami & Mozzarella.
I have decided that the difference is perceptible to the diner and will continue with Caputo despite  the price difference here. At least I am not paying Lario prices (twice Incussa's price) - both being importers of Caputo.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:17:37 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline heliman

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »
Thanks very much for the feedback on Caputo...

Offline Klytia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
This was an interesting thread, coming from Queensland and sourcing the correct flour for this newbie has been an issue, now I am on a roll, thanks for the tips on the flour, I've just started using lighthouse flour with a high gluten level.....

Cheers Mick