Author Topic: Ideas to use extra dough?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Ideas to use extra dough?
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »
I have a dough ball of extra dough that was from the Malnati Deep Dish pizza I made with the durum flour and KAAP flour.  It weighs 247 grams. 
Can I freeze the dough or what amount of time do I have to use the dough? 
If anyone has any ideas I am open to trying them.

Thanks,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Ideas to use extra dough?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
there were these bars near northern ill university,i was told, that used excess dough as an appetizer, i only had them once there in '93 but they were really good.  there were small bite size pieces of dough they deep fried and then  dusted em with parm and served with a cup of pizza sauce.....ive tried to replicate they didnt turn out like i remembered but  then i havnt looked into it very much.  they were really good when the bar made them.  not soo big as breadsticks that you filled up on them but eating a few with a cold beer while waiting for your thin crust was really good in my memory!   or if i were you i might make a thin crust with the remaining dough and see how that tasted! probably pretty good!  just thinkin! 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
mrmojo1,

Both of your ideas sound good.  :)  I have a 12" cutter pan and never tried that out.  Maybe a thin crust on that to see if it works, or deep frying the dough sound interesting, also. 

Thanks for your ideas and going down memory lane,

Norma

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
no prob!  making pizza and this site are soo much fun!!  i am always messin with leftover dough.  i had 2 home run inn thin crust 14" dough balls left. i didnt feel like a thin crust home run inn this weekend so i made a deep dish pizza.  in the idea that i dont know if HRI has a deep dish, but i kinda made it as if they did.  turned out pretty darn good.  ill send pics.  why no way as good as a lous or ginos...it was different and still pretty delicious. ill post pics.  i think they looked better than they tasted tho.  the lou crust has such a wonderful flavor, the butteriness of the home run inn crust was a bit masked by the top sauce.  but fun nonetheless!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
no prob!  making pizza and this site are soo much fun!!  i am always messin with leftover dough.  i had 2 home run inn thin crust 14" dough balls left. i didnt feel like a thin crust home run inn this weekend so i made a deep dish pizza.  in the idea that i dont know if HRI has a deep dish, but i kinda made it as if they did.  turned out pretty darn good.  ill send pics.  why no way as good as a lous or ginos...it was different and still pretty delicious. ill post pics.  i think they looked better than they tasted tho.  the lou crust has such a wonderful flavor, the butteriness of the home run inn crust was a bit masked by the top sauce.  but fun nonetheless!!

mrmojo1,

I agree that this site is so much fun and also trying different kinds of pizza!  :)  With all the knowledge here and all the people contributing their pictures and formulas, it inspires me to try different pizzas.  I hate to see dough go to waste, even if the pizza doesn't turn out the way you wanted it to.  Since some of these kinds of pizzas I have never tasted, I wish I could get to those places and try them. 
Post your pictures is you have time.  I would really like to see them.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
here's HRI thin crust dough i took out of the freezer and i dont know if they have a deep dish, but i tried to make it as "they would"  the crust was a bit overwhelmed by my sauce.  but it was crisp flakey and pretty good overall and not a bad change of pace!  made me crave a malnatis though!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:50:51 AM by mrmojo1 »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:14:01 PM »
had an error and all my reply was erased...sorry for the duplicate pics.......:-(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 05:50:06 AM »
here's HRI thin crust dough i took out of the freezer and i dont know if they have a deep dish, but i tried to make it as "they would"  the crust was a bit overwhelmed by my sauce.  but it was crisp flakey and pretty good overall and not a bad change of pace!  made me crave a malnatis though!

mrmojo1,

You are creative.  :)  Making a thin crust dough into a deep-dish.  It looks like it worked out well for you.  Your crust just looks right with the golden brown color and as you are explaining the crispy crust, it sure sounds good.
I have done that before, too..making a long post and then some of my pictures weren't resized right..and then the whole thing was erased. :(

Thanks for posting the pictures and thinking outside the box,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »
Norma,

My recollection from my research of the Chicago style pizza some time ago is that there are many Chicago-area pizzerias that use the same dough for both their Chicago thin style pizzas and their deep-dish pizzas. It is a lot easier and more convenient to make one type of dough than two types if you can get away with it.

Peter

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »
With left over dough for NY style pies, I usually make garlic knots or bread sticks out of it.

Not sure how well that would work with the Chicago style dough. Might be worth a try.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »
Peter,

Thank you for letting me know that while doing your research of Chicago style pizza that many pizzerias use the same dough for both pizzas.  I froze the dough yesterday and will use it in the next week.  It will be interesting to see if it is okay.

Norma

Ronzo,

I also use leftover dough from the Lehmann dough I use each week for garlic knots, pizza pinwheels, pizza buns, and cheesy bread sticks.  Sometimes the dough is frozen and then re-thawed before I use it.  It seems to work out well.
With the Chicago Deep-Dish Dough having so much oil and not rising very much, I don’t know how using it would work out for the items mentioned above.

Thanks for the ideas,

Norma

Offline BTB

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
Most of the big time deep dish pizzerias in Chicago that I'm familiar with use different dough recipes for their thin crust pizzas.  Malnati's has a very different formulation for their thin crust pizzas, which are excellent and many like their thin crusts even better than their deep dish crusts.  I like them both equally.  Pizzeria's Uno's and Due's didn't have a thin crust when I was last there (disregard the not-so-good, bankrupt nationwide Uno's Chicago Grill chain's website menu . . . they're serve anything to make some money).  Gino's East has thin crust to supplement their deep dish mainstay for the children that come in with their parents and insist on a thin crust cheese pizza.  It's been a little while, but I think it is a different crust formulation.  Giordano's, however, uses the same dough for stuffed or thin crust.  Pizano's, like Malnati's, has a recipe for their thin crust that again is very different from their deep dish crust, and like Malnati's, Pizano's thin crust is super good (I think their thin crust was the one noted as Oprah's favorite pizza, allegedly).

Despite that, using the excess deep dish dough most often works out fine for use with a thin crust pizza.  I made a little thin crust pizza from some excess deep dish dough a little while ago and it turned out excellent.

Mr. Mojo, your pizza looked really good.  I know it's a thin crust (or thin/thick) but it reminded me of how a Pizano's deep dish pizza looks, which is kind of a somewhat thin style deep dish.  You can click on modify and unclick the two last pictures to eliminate those two pictures if you want.  It is easy to do.

--BTB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »
Most of the big time deep dish pizzerias in Chicago that I'm familiar with use different dough recipes for their thin crust pizzas.  Malnati's has a very different formulation for their thin crust pizzas, which are excellent and many like their thin crusts even better than their deep dish crusts.  I like them both equally.  Pizzeria's Uno's and Due's didn't have a thin crust when I was last there (disregard the not-so-good, bankrupt nationwide Uno's Chicago Grill chain's website menu . . . they're serve anything to make some money).  Gino's East has thin crust to supplement their deep dish mainstay for the children that come in with their parents and insist on a thin crust cheese pizza.  It's been a little while, but I think it is a different crust formulation.  Giordano's, however, uses the same dough for stuffed or thin crust.  Pizano's, like Malnati's, has a recipe for their thin crust that again is very different from their deep dish crust, and like Malnati's, Pizano's thin crust is super good (I think their thin crust was the one noted as Oprah's favorite pizza, allegedly).

Despite that, using the excess deep dish dough most often works out fine for use with a thin crust pizza.  I made a little thin crust pizza from some excess deep dish dough a little while ago and it turned out excellent.

Mr. Mojo, your pizza looked really good.  I know it's a thin crust (or thin/thick) but it reminded me of how a Pizano's deep dish pizza looks, which is kind of a somewhat thin style deep dish.  You can click on modify and unclick the two last pictures to eliminate those two pictures if you want.  It is easy to do.

--BTB

BTB,

Thanks for the information about the different Chicago thin crusts.  :)  When I made the Giordano's stuffed crust before, I really like the taste of that crust.  I didn't have enough dough left over to try anything different.  I am still trying to decide if I like the Malnati's Deep Dish better than Giordano's.  I had put more meat in the Giordano's Stuffed Crust and maybe that is what I liked better.  ???  Wish I could be there to try them all.
Your little thin crust pizza looks delicious.   :)

Thanks for giving me information and posting you picture,

Norma

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »

--BTB

thanks as always for the great info BTB!!! and the great help!!!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
I use the leftover dough ball today, from the Malnati Deep Dish with Durum Flour that I made February 12, 2010.
Reply 239 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg90089.html#msg90089

The dough ball was taken out of the freezer late this morning and left to unfreeze. The first picture is of the dough ball frozen. I wanted to try out a rectangular deep-dish pan, so I used that.  The dough was rolled out with a rolling pin.  There weren’t any problems with rolling out the dough.  The dough then was cut 10"x10" to fit in the rectangular pan.  The pie was dressed with a mixture of Brand 1950/127 part skim mozzarella Foremost Brand, Bella Francesca whole milk mozzarella, and State Brand white cheddar.  The sauce used was 6 in 1 seasoned with salt and sugar.  After the pie was baked I put fresh basil on to finish. 

I found this Malnati Deep Dish recipe with the Durum Flour very tasty. I really like how easy this dough is to handle.  I also like the crisp bottom.  I could eat 4 slices of this pie.

Thanks BTB for the great formula!  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:46:58 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
rest of pictures