Author Topic: Childrens chewable aspirin  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
Childrens chewable aspirin
« on: March 08, 2005, 12:24:23 PM »
I am in the process of reading Altons new book and in his dough recipe for pie he calls for the addition of 25mg or 1 CCA for added vitamin C.Iwas wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what were the results,positive or negative.I was also thinking of substituting straight vitamin C with no aspirin.I figure that this would probably work better,since I dont have a headache

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Childrens chewable aspirin
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 06:00:48 PM »
Aaron,

I don't know about the children's chewable aspirin, but I am aware that Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) can be added to doughs, and have done this with bread doughs, but not pizza dough. Many commercial flours already come with some ascorbic acid as a dough conditioner (General Mills has several flour brands with it) to make the dough more manageable and help the yeast work better (longer and faster) and produce a higher rise. It is also quite common to find a small amount of ascorbic acid in instant dry yeasts, to produce an acidic environment for the yeast, which is apparently a desirable thing. I have also seen commercial dough enhancer/relaxer blends that include ascorbic acid, I suspect for pretty much the same reasons mentioned above.

In my case, I already had some Vitamin C in powder form and I used a pinch of it in the bread doughs (sourdough). Before that, I just pulverized an ordinary Vitamin C tablet. I can't say that I noticed any difference in the finished bread loaves. You might want to try it, perhaps in a munga cake (did I get that right? :)).

Peter

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
Re: Childrens chewable aspirin
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 06:23:57 AM »
Pete I was aware of it being used in small amounts in yeast and some flours but I thought that it was interesting in that it was listed as an actual additive.
I dont know about making a munga cake but I will try it in a pie dough.I can hear it now ,which pie do you like best malt and aspirin or just malt.
Aaron

pizzapan