Author Topic: Cheese Whey Biscuits with pictures  (Read 54 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Cheese Whey Biscuits with pictures
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »
I made fresh mozzarella from raw milk today and didn’t want to waste the whey.  I decided to try the Cheese Whey Biscuits.  After making the mozzarella, I then decided to try and make ricotta.  It went okay except my thermometer wouldn’t work right.  I had to guess when the ricotta was finished.  I saved some of the whey to make these Cheese Whey Biscuits.  I thought they tasted good. 

CHEESE WHEY BISCUITS
2˝ cups flour
1 cup whey
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
˝ teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup Parmesan or cheddar cheese, grated

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut in butter. Add whey and mix lightly just until combined. Add cheese.

Drop on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Remove immediately from cookie sheets. Best when served hot. Serves 10.

I also reserved some whey to make pizza dough.  I replaced the water with the whey.  The dough is cold fermenting.  Wonder how that dough is going to turn out?  ::)

The last two pictures are of the ricotta.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ThunderStik

Re: Cheese Whey Biscuits with pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:16:03 PM »
Wow, Norma! You are an awesome cook, you make soo many great things. I wish i was you neighbor...although long term it could be a health risk.  :-D

I would weigh 637 pounds! But it may be worth it!  :-[
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »
Wow, Norma! You are an awesome cook, you make soo many great things. I wish i was you neighbor...although long term it could be a health risk.  :-D

I would weigh 637 pounds! But it may be worth it!  :-[

ThunderStik,

Thanks for the nice compliment.   :)  I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes.   This recipe didn't have any sugar, only the whey, so it I guess it couldn't be too bad for you.  :-D
You also are a great pizza maker.  I enjoy reading your posts. Guess we are both about the same time frame in when we started to make pizzas.
I am really wondering if anyone has tried to make dough with whey, before.  ::)

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
I am really wondering if anyone has tried to make dough with whey, before.  ::)

Norma,

I have experimented with using dried dairy whey in pizza doughs but not fresh.  However, it appears that Crider has used fresh whey, as he mentioned at Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9854.msg90329/topicseen.html#msg90329.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »
Norma,

I have experimented with using dried dairy whey in pizza doughs but not fresh.  However, it appears that Crider has used fresh whey, as he mentioned at Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9854.msg90329/topicseen.html#msg90329.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me Crider appears to have tried fresh whey.  It looks like he talked about favorable results. 

Thanks,

Norma

I just looked at the one picture I posted.  It is DSC01842 JPG.  I don't know if my imagination is getting the best of me or not, but it looks like the ricotta in that picture has the face of a girl, with eyes, mouth, hair and a neck..lol  I had the ricotta draining in a sieve with coffee filters for draining.  ::)