Author Topic: First attempt at Papa John's clone  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Imaginate

First attempt at Papa John's clone
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
Well, I took a stab at the Papa John's crust developed by Pete-zza.  I scaled down the recipe a bit using the expanded dough calculator here to make a 12" pizza.  I made the same-day formula that requires you to punch down the dough after the initial rise, and allow a second rise. Total rise time was 7 hours 55 minutes.  I baked the pizza on a stone, at 500F for about 8 minutes.  I used my own sauce recipe because I don't really care for PJ sauce, but I may give it a shot next time.  For the cheese I used Meijer brand low moisture mozzarella.  If my memory serves, it tasted pretty close to what PJ uses, but I haven't had PJ in ages.  Overall, the pizza was delicious.  I got some large bubbles in the crust, but the crumb structure was excellent and the flavor was superb.  It definitely reminded me of a PJ crust.  Thanks go out to Pete-zza for developing the formula, I will be making this one often. 

Picture of the finished pizza, it's somewhat blurry because my only camera is on my phone.

http://tinyurl.com/yemxrhs

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: First attempt at Papa John's clone
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
Imaginate,

To refresh my memory, I went back to the Papa John's clone thread to see which PJ clone version you used. It is the one at Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59357.html#msg59357. Considering that you used less than 1/8 teaspoon IDY, you got nice volume and a lot of nice bubbling in the finished crust. Also, with a roughly 8-hour room temperature fermentation, it is a convenient dough to schedule and make, although the timing may vary from one kitchen to another based on the room temperature.

I usually try to keep the rim size on the small side so that it doesn't rise that much during baking. Doing that makes my pizzas look more like what I buy from Papa John's. But, for those who like a puffy crust with bubbles, it looks like your shaping method produces those results. Your pizza looks inviting.

Papa John's uses a cheese formulation from Leprino Foods. I am sure that your Meijer mozzarella cheese was better than the Leprino product, which I deem to be the weak link in PJ pizzas. Also, your cheese does not have any additives, so it will be a more natural tasting cheese.

Peter

Offline Dan101

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
Ah bubbling of the PJ's crust...former bane of my life lol.  Every Pizza needed at least two attacks with the the bubble bursting spear whilst it was going through the oven!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »
if your dough is bubbling it is either too cold, or it could use some more fermentation time.   

Offline Imaginate

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
You know I'll be honest, I don't necessarily hate bubbling of the crust.  I did do another one and I let it sit for it's second rise a little longer.  I think the first one was slightly under-fermented.  It was slightly hard to stretch out.  The second one I did was much easier, and did not have as much bubbling up.  I have to say that this crust recipe has reinvigorated my pizza making passion.  I was in a bit of a rut lately after having a run of disappointing pizzas.  I also love the fact that it reheats quite well.  I think this has already become my go-to formula.

Offline tzoavva

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
After working on Randy's American Style Pizza found on this link (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2150.msg18890.html#msg18890) for a couple of times [my results from that adventure/experience can be found here (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10325.msg90770.html#msg90770)] 

I decided to also take a stab at the PJ clone.  So realizing there were several variations of the recipe (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg60076.html#msg60076)  5 day ferm, 2days, 12 hours ferm and 8hours ferm.  I decided to tackle the 8 hour ferm one first like you Imaginate.   I missed that the recipe called for punching down the dough at 5 1/2 hours so I did one solid 8 hour ferm.  Perfect for mixing the dough up before going to work and then comming home to ready made dough for dinner.  That and the fact I used Canola oil were the only modifications I did on that recipe and here are the pics from my first attempt at PJ 8 hour clone.  I know my toppings don't look like a PJ pizza....trying to finish up some fresh mozz I have in the fridge :) before going out to buy some low moisture part skim mozz.

I want to definitely try the 5 day ferm as well.  These are great recipes I will also add.  I know it is easier to go out and buy a ready made pizza but really this way you know exactly what you are consuming versus store bought ones.

Joanna
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:52:42 AM by tzoavva »