Author Topic: Humidity and Flour Density  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Puzzolento

Humidity and Flour Density
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »
Until now, I've always measured my dough ingredients by volume, not weight. But I want to be more efficient in the future, because I'm making big batches now. I'm probably going to have to use a planetary mixer instead of a food processor, and mixers are a royal pain, and my theory is that I will have less aggravation if I know, to the gram, exactly how much flour and other ingredients to use.

My question: will this actually work? I'm afraid the density of the flour will vary with the humidity, throwing everything off.

Offline Bob1

Re: Humidity and Flour Density
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
Puzzolento,

You'll be fine. 

Bob

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
Do you have a mixer yet?

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
The church has a Kitchenaid K5-A mixer, but they're getting a 16-quart food processor, at my request. I use a food processor at home; I have no reason to change that.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
Oh because I was going to say to get one of these. http://www.basequipment.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GLO-SP5&gdftrk=gdfV2543_a_7c641_a_7c2232_a_7cGLO_d_SP5. I think if I knew these were this cheap I would have got it before I got the DLX, its a spiral mixer.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
Here is a video of that spiral mixer in action
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYBF1V30B78&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYBF1V30B78&amp;feature=related</a>
. The dough looks so nice it almost looks like its one of those fake spinning skins.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
BrickStoneOven,
That globe looks nice.  It also looks like the bowl can be removed for cleaning, unlike other brand SP5's.  I wish I would have seen that before I got my DLX, although, I do love my DLX.  I only checked out the one in the video.  I think that one is a different make, and the bowl is not removable.

Bob

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »
That's beautiful. Sure beats the K5-A, which spews ingredients all over and does a sad job of mixing them. But are you sure the one in the video is the same as the one in the ad?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
I know its an SP5 because I was on the Forno Bravo forum and it was one of the members mixers. I just watched the video again and it definitely looks like a different one but I am 99.9% sure he said it was a Globe SP-5, most likely it was an older one. The one I put a link up to does look like you could remove the bowl. I like my DLX to but just the way the dough comes out in this one look amazing. I don't even use any of the other things on my DLX, its always the hook or the roller. I haven't used the beater or anything else.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
BrickStoneOven,
It's strange but they use the same term SP5 for this brand also.  Except they added Micro. 

http://www.tmbbaking.com/sp5.html

Bob

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:44:18 PM »
That one looks more like the one in the video... I could have sworn he said it was a Globe. Now that I look at the Globe one in the link it kinda looks like a vertical...I failed :'(

Offline Bob1

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »
BrickStoneOven,
Quite the opposite than fail.  I had no idea that mixer was available, and would have considered it at that price.  It probably works similar to the KA with the spiral setup.  I think the Micro is twice the price and much better, but a tad on the extravagant side for home use. 

On a side note,  The bowl spins on the DLX.  Why not buy a spiral hook and install it through the arm bar of the DLX with a drill motor to spin it.  I would imagine it would act like the micro which has a spinning bowl also.  Just a thought.

Bob

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
I am not mechanically inclined to do something like that, that is a good idea though.

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
Puzzolento,

You'll be fine. 

Bob

Ditto...

With two caveats. Store it in a cool dry place (obviously) and use it in a timely fashion. Don't take a 50 lb. bag of flour and stash it in a corner for a year and it expect it to measure/bake exactly like a bag you just bought.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
No problem.

I live in Seattle and keep my flour, once opened, in a non-food container five pail bucket, so while it makes a decent seal, it's not a great seal.  25 pounds of flour at a time, stay remarkably consistant over the months it takes to use it, in one of the more humid parts of the country.

Jack

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
BrickStoneOven,
that spiral mixer makes beautiful dough but it sure is noisy and it doesn't have the dough splitter bar. I am getting mine next week directly from the manufacturer in Italy, I hope it won't be that noisy!

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind the noise if my dough came out that good. Are you getting the one that is in the video?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
BrickStoneOven,
that spiral mixer makes beautiful dough but it sure is noisy and it doesn't have the dough splitter bar. I am getting mine next week directly from the manufacturer in Italy, I hope it won't be that noisy!

That mixer is the same one that I just ordered.  It's manufactured in Italy by Esmach.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:11:49 AM by Matthew »

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »
BrickStoneOven,
my mixer is from AliMacchine, it is heavyduty better than Santos. I will make some dough next week and might post some pix.

pizzapan