Author Topic: Shakey's Cheese real ingredients  (Read 3873 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Shakey's Cheese real ingredients
« on: November 22, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »
Shakey's cheese comes from VISTAR Corp Centennial CO 80112

It arrives frozen in 15 pound boxes.

It is "rich traditional diced frozen cheese". Assaggia il Meglio!

Ingredients: mozzarella cheese (pasteurized milk, cultures, salt, enzymes), modified food starch, powdered cellulose (added to prevent caking), non-fat milk, whey protein concentrate, flavors, sodium citrate, sodium propionate (added as a preservative)

Looks like mozzarella, corn starch, non-fat dry milk, some whey and some chemicals.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Shakey's Cheese real ingredients
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:57:09 PM »
There current site boasts of using 6 different cheeses!

WOnder what's going on???
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »
Oops! my error, that was StrawHat site not Shakeys  :-[
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Zing

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »
I'm still trying to come up with a cheese blend that is a clone of what the corporate-owned Shakey's in California are using at the present time. Once again, the information I am getting is that more than one type of cheese blend is currently in use within the greater chain.

New member Old Shakeys Cop recently posted his recollection of the cheese blend formula of the 70's to mid 80's in the New Forum Members section:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17910.msg173649.html#msg173649

He states it was "Cheese mix was 80/10/10 - 80% low moisture mozzarella, 10% provalone aged 9 mo. smoked, 10% cheddar aged 12 mo."

At one Shakey's recently, a carton was spotted indicating there is a custom blend being made for the stores. The cheese carton apparently reads something like "Made for Shakey's Inc." and "Keep Refrigerated" There is no list of ingredients on the box. The cheese is packed in plastic bags, and the bags either have printing or a label on them. That is the most my friends could get.

About the same time, a 'unindicted co-conspirator' informed me that another Shakey's had cheese with Roma Foods' name on it. It was foodservice private label diced part skim mozzarella cheese, containing anti-caking agents and preservatives. I am careful not to assert this cheese was used on the pizzas; it could have been used for something else. But this store COULD have been using this Roma cheese and blending in some other cheeses on-site to top pizzas with. Meanwhile, Shakey's is saying they are using 100% Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese. I believe they are doing this to differentiate themselves from the industrial pizza chains that use cheap cheese. To my taste buds, Shakey's is blending in other cheeses as well, possibly including hard grated cheese(es), to their "Made for Shakey's Inc." cheese.

EDITED on March 4, 2012 to remove conjecture a subsequent taste test proved to be unfounded.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:19:08 PM by Zing »

Offline Zing

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
After 3 1/2 years I came up with a reasonable match for the cheese presently in use at the Shakey's corporate (Jacmar-owned) stores in California. With 20/20 hindsight, I am now kicking myself for not realizing this sooner.

El Segundo's original post was of no help to me when I first saw it because I didn't know anything about foodservice back then. But he nailed it. That cheese was frozen Leprino cheese. Maybe it can be called mozzarella, maybe it has to be called pizza cheese, but it is not the cheese discussed by Old Shakeys Cop and Lightmeter in their posts about the cheeses that were blended in the restaurants back in the day.

You know what's funny? Vistar used to be called Multifoods Distribution until 2002:

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=2456246
http://www.answers.com/topic/international-multifoods-corporation

Even funnier, Leprino used to also have a foodservice business. They sold it to International Multifoods in 1994:

http://www.answers.com/topic/leprino-foods-company

Thanks to this post from our member Jet_deck,

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12806.msg124446#msg124446

I bet the farm and hauled my neighbor out to a Godfather's to taste their pizzas. He tells me the cheese was a close match for the cheese on the Shakey's he gets fresh out of the oven in California. So I froze some samples of Godfathers pizza and had a bakeoff of frozen Godfathers and frozen Shakey's brought back from California. Pretty close.

If any of the regulars want to PM me, I'll tell them how I connected the dots. Leprino probably pays someone to monitor the Internet so I gonna say 'nuthin publicly as well. The interesting thing about this cheese is that is has a long holding time even when kept warm. I have not found any other cheeses close in this regard. Earlier posts of mine discussing the characteristics of this cheese never elicited any solid leads.

I don't know if the formula of the Godfather's cheese and the Shakey's cheese is EXACTLY the same. It may contain flavoring as well. But it is a good cheese and seemingly better than what the Big 3 chains use on their pies.

Since Shakey's fills up their restaurants at lunch with their Bunch of Lunch buffet, I can see that they would like a cheese that has a long holding time. Godfather's franchisees also sell slices in their convenience stores, so this would be a good choice for them as well.

I don't have much chance of buying a 15 pound box of their foodservice cheese within a reasonable distance from home. I am considering hoisting up the white flag and using a quality blend of conventional cheeses instead. But the thrill of the hunt.........

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
Zing,

Had I seen Bill's (elsegundo's) opening post in 2005 after I embarked on my Papa John's reverse engineering and cloning project several years later, I am sure that I would have told you that the cheese product he cited was from Leprino's. I had looked at typical Leprino's ingredients lists so often that I would recognize them instantaneously :-D.

Peter

Offline Zing

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »
You raise a good point. The ingredients lists are all similar. So is the either 15 or 30 pound package. Things to remember when scanning product lists of vendors with house brands.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
Zing,

Very good post!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline SlimTheMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:11:57 AM »
Shakey's cheese comes from VISTAR Corp Centennial CO 80112

It arrives frozen in 15 pound boxes.

It is "rich traditional diced frozen cheese". Assaggia il Meglio!

Ingredients: mozzarella cheese (pasteurized milk, cultures, salt, enzymes), modified food starch, powdered cellulose (added to prevent caking), non-fat milk, whey protein concentrate, flavors, sodium citrate, sodium propionate (added as a preservative)
Looks like mozzarella, corn starch, non-fat dry milk, some whey and some chemicals.

The corn starch is used to prevent it from freezing into a solid block...chances are they get their cheese frozen and shredded...to prep all they do is separate into smaller containers...this is what pizza inn does...I'll take a look at a box tomorrow, but since it comes from the corporate distribution company I'm not sure if it will have an ingredient list...

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 04:10:36 PM »
Came across this and I had to post it for the die hard fans.  http://pullman.craigslist.org/for/4423543330.html

Not cheese, but REAL ingredients nonetheless.

For archival purposes, here's a post of the photo.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:23:42 PM »
Are these being reproduced or something?? This is the second one I have seen <100 miles from the previous one. Strange. Clearly the first one had the glass reworked.
http://spokane.craigslist.org/clt/4419726804.html

Sorry for the thread hijack.

pizzapan