Author Topic: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!  (Read 149317 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2007, 04:11:38 AM »
I cant find that pizza sauce recipe, can you please provide me the link? 

ninya,

I believe it is the one posted here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php.

Peter

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2007, 12:09:05 AM »
Need some help here. Wanting to make the DKM dough up and not sure what everybody is doing now for the rise, Counter or fridge, and how many hrs? Can you do either or? Seems there's posts on both. I know if in the fridge you would want to go for a longer cold ferment than the counter rise warm. What's the skinny these days on the cracker crust dough rise? What's everbody doing? Thanks, Bryan  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »
Bryan. for sure on the counter and up to 32 hrs.  In the cooler is really not an option for this recipe although you could mix it up, then to the cooler and then an 18hr to 24 rise on the counter.  I usually make my dough the afternoon before so it goes a little over 24 hrs. I now, I now, you are thinking, Dude are you sure about on the counter.  Yes that is the secret to the flavor.

It is also very important to bloom(proof some say) the yeast for 5 minutes before adding to the mix even if you use instant yeast.  As I wrote, this is not a proofing process as much as it is a blooming.

I was a skeptic at first but I now make DKM's cracker crust more than I make my own American style.  I have made a bunch of these. 

Get ready, rolling it out will give you a good workout.  If you use just a little four on the surface you roll it on it will stick a little so it want pop back as if it were a rubber band as bad.
Maybe DKM will add a bit more

Randy

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »
Randy, What threw me off was i looked at the OP Steve, his recipe and read about DKM helping him and thought that it was the DKM recipe only to find out it wasn't, then I found the Pizza Inn DKM cracker crust recipe. Then on page 4 the OP Steve posts a Chicago cracker crust recipe by TL and even sober I can't find that recipe when clicking on recipes from the home page. I was sucking some suds back last night which contributed to my confusion. It's all clear to me now, except for where that TL Chicago cracker crust recipe is hiding at. Thanks much.   8)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »
Bryan,

I think the Tom Lehmann cracker crust recipe you are looking for is the one given here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_crackerstyle.php. It's the same recipe given at the PMQ.com Recipe Bank.

Peter

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
Bryan,

I think the Tom Lehmann cracker crust recipe you are looking for is the one given here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_crackerstyle.php. It's the same recipe given at the PMQ.com Recipe Bank.

Peter
Peter, Do you use the butter in it? I love butter so I know I'll be putting it in.  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »
Peter, Do you use the butter in it? I love butter so I know I'll be putting it in.  ;D

Bryan,

I don't recall trying out that recipe. Not too long ago, I played around with Tom's cracker crust dough recipe that uses baking soda. However, I once did make a deep-dish crust that was formed by layering several sheets and placing dabs of butter between the sheets. It was quite good.

Peter

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2007, 09:28:25 PM »
Bryan,

I don't recall trying out that recipe. Not too long ago, I played around with Tom's cracker crust dough recipe that uses baking soda. However, I once did make a deep-dish crust that was formed by layering several sheets and placing dabs of butter between the sheets. It was quite good.

Peter
Peter, My bad, I miss read your post. I read it as "I like" instead of "I think" so that's why I thought you made it. I'll stick with the DKM cracker recipe that everyone raves about. Thanks much.  8)

Offline marcy

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2007, 03:48:58 AM »
I just found this recipe now after I made another cracker crust that I found on this site last week...
BUT the one from last week said to let it sit in the fridge for min. 24hrs.  this on is out...and now I
see that the one I made looks like your photos..and I thought that was wrong (too dry) but mine came
out great tasting.  I make mine on a pizza stone though...I might go and look for a round pan...love the
original look...OH----instead of vegetable oil, can you use olive oil - I did last week cuz my vege. was bad.
What temp. should the water be please?

Whoever wrote about the pizza in the chgo suburbs...I live in So.Cal. but am from Chgo and when we go back
the first place we go to is Nick's in Crystal Lake or the new location in, I think, either West Dundee or Elgin-give me more
think crust restaurants in the Chgo area...my fav. deep dish is Lou Malnati's....I want to try that recipe I got on this site, but I
don;t yet have a deep pan...any suggestions where to get one?  I love the 'clip on' handle for the pan at Lou;s.
thanks

Offline marcy

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2007, 04:01:56 AM »
Nobody lets the dough rise in a warming drawer?

My last recipe said letting it in the fridge for 24hrs. will prevent it from shrinking...
Will 12 hrs. out on the counter also do that?  My previuos dough shrunk terribly.

Offline PizaJim

• I Love Pizza!
    • Rosemark Homes
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »
Hello All,

Sorry to revive this thread,  but it looks intruiging from the standpoint of using a preferment instead of commercial yeast, and maybe an autolyse to help hydration and gluten formation? Any Culture Club members tried this?
2Stone Novice

Offline PizaJim

• I Love Pizza!
    • Rosemark Homes
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2008, 07:51:21 PM »
Duh,
Apparently one too many rum an cokes already! Autolyse with a dough this dry? What was I thinking :-D
Still, the preferment is intriguing.

Jim
2Stone Novice

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
Autolyse with a dough this dry? What was I thinking :-D
Still, the preferment is intriguing.

Jim,

I don't think that using autolyse or similar rest periods for a low-hydration dough is all that farfetched. Arguably, getting more complete hydration may be more important with a low-hydration dough than a high-hydration dough. In fact, I have used such rest periods to improve the hydration of the flour for a cracker-style dough (a version based on DKM's dough recipe). See, for example, Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49042.html#msg49042. In some cases, the rest periods can also work to reduce the kneading of the dough and minimize overworking the gluten such that it becomes difficult to roll out the dough. I have also sifted the flour to improve its hydration in low-hydration doughs.

I have also used a natural preferment successfully with cracker-style doughs (see, for example, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5594.0.html) but I have found that commercial yeast is much easier and more convenient to use, preferably at rather high levels. The high amount of yeast, along with a long fermentation, often at room temperature, combine to produce a nice flavor profile in the finished crust. I tried the natural preferment approach mainly to satisfy myself that it could be done.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:17:01 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizaJim

• I Love Pizza!
    • Rosemark Homes
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »
Here are my results from the experitment using Pete-zaa previous post recipe with a highly active Ischia starter and an autotyle during the mix. Excellent ;D sorry I don't have pix, I could not downsize small enough to post. The crust was extremely crispy, but I wouldn't call it cracker style as there were no big voids in the crust. The  best part was the flavor, very buttery and light, with good crunch!

I followed Pete's recipe except I used an autolyse by adding KABF until it made a stiff batter and let rest for 20 min. Mixed 5 min more as in Jeff V recipe. Then I SLOWLY added the rest of the flour and mixed another 5 min. divided up into 4 balls and made 1 after 24 hr. bench rise. It was the best. The other 3 I put into the fridge for a slow rise, oddly enough, they did not  have the buttery flavor of the the bench rose one. I'll try this again to see if I get the same results because I ame a little confused by the flavor profile results with the later doughs.

Jim
2Stone Novice

Offline zenoptic

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2009, 04:15:42 AM »
ninya,

I believe it is the one posted here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php.

Peter
wow, how cool, that is my sheeter!

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »
Why why why why do I come on here and look at the pictures, when all it does is make me hungry?! Looks good.  ;D

Offline bmomalley

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »
Giving it a go... have a good feeling about this batch.... looking forward to seeing it in 24 hours.

Offline scribble

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:22 AM »
So I am planning on starting this crust tomorrow and am looking for recommendations on oven setting and supplies.

I am going to the restaurant supply shop tomorrow for a few things and am wondering how to bake this pizza. I have a gas oven.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
So I am planning on starting this crust tomorrow and am looking for recommendations on oven setting and supplies.

I am going to the restaurant supply shop tomorrow for a few things and am wondering how to bake this pizza. I have a gas oven.

Scribble:

Two recommendations based on your request -

1. Set your oven for as high as you can get it to go

2. Set a pizza stone of appropriate size (composition of your choice) in the oven and let it heat up for 50-60 minutes before putting the pizza on it.

Hope it turns out well.   :chef:

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Sounds good Ernie.
I have a gas oven(heater in broiler drawer)and if you want to avoid the stone heat up deal....
Par-bake the crust in a cutter pan, let it cool out of the pan for 5 min, place back in pan and go to town.  :)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan