Author Topic: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!  (Read 165247 times)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2004, 03:59:53 PM »
Yes, I have to agree with adding a tad more water. Made up a batch last night using the 2/3 cup measure and it was extremely dry and crumbly. But, I didn't add a drop of extra water so we'll see how it turns out tonight.

Can't wait to try DKM's Chicago pizza in a few hours...  ;D

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2004, 06:40:56 PM »
Here's a close-up of the last "best ever" thin crust that I made last weekend. This one was under-cooked, the bottom wasn't as crisp as I would have liked it. But, it was delicious nontheless!

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2004, 07:08:38 PM »
Bump!

Bringing this thread back to the top since I'm working on the cracker crust recipe for the main website.

I want to experiement with cooking temperature and time.

I've been thinking that a lower oven temperature and longer cooking time will allow the crust to cook longer, without burning, thus allowing the moisture in the crust to bake-out, or evaporate, which should produce a more crisp, more cracker-like crust. I'm thinking 425 to 450 degrees F?

Opinions anyone?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 07:09:41 PM by Steve »

Offline Laura

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2004, 03:20:02 PM »
Hello All.  I'm a new poster to this site.  I prepared the "Best ever thin cracker crust dough" yesterday.  It was a little on the dry side but I resisted adding water.  I may live to regret that decision as it's been about 20 hours now and the dough isn't looking very moist.  Perhaps miracles will happen in the next 4 hours or so, though.

I have a question for the forum.  My kids love the Domino's thin crust and I noticed on the Domino's web site that they use both yeast and baking powder in the dough.  Has anyone tried this in the cracker crust recipe?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2004, 09:32:42 PM »
I'v never tried it personally, but ti does give me some ideas.

Does your dough looke like it is rising? and coming togther as a single ball?

DKM
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:34:47 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2004, 08:11:15 AM »
I've made this recipe twice now in the last two weeks. Both times the dough was very dry but it was very "rollable" when I went to make pizza. And, both times, the pizza turned out excellent.

Now, I want to follow up  by saying that during this same two week period, I had my wife make up a batch of the dough since I had forgotten to do so. Her dough, OTOH, turned out absolutely horrible. It was waaaaay too dry and you could see bits of undisolved yeast throughout. I attempted to salvage the chunk of "dough" but it wouldn't budge under the pressure of a rolling pin.  >:(

We ended up going out to dinner that night (and tried a new pizza joint in the process).

I don't know what she did differently than I did, but she used the exact same recipe that I used and did everything by weight.

Now, I will say that this is how I do it:

I put the empty mixing bowl on my digital scale and tare to zero. I add in exactly pound (16 oz.) high gluten flour. Next, I remove the mixer bowl from the scale, then place a glass measuring cup on the scale and tare to zero. Then, I add 5.6 ounces of spring water to the cup. Then, in the microwave oven, zap the water for 30-60 seconds until it's warm. Then, I add the yeast, salt, and sugar and mix until it's all dissolved. I put everything into my food processor and run (with steel blade) for about 30-60 seconds, until the "flour" looks like coarse cornmeal and it's all sticking to the sides of the bowl. I dump everything out onto the countertop and squeeze the "crumbs" into a ball, then I knead briefly, and then let rise. The dough is very dense, but it's got enough moisture to hold its shape and is workable. After the rise, it rolls out nicely, but requires some effort.

Offline Laura

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2004, 08:45:58 AM »
After 22 hours, my dough still didn't look like it was rising but it smelled very yeasty.  It was too crumbly to roll out so I put it back in the KitchenAid and added another tablespoon of water.  I ran the mixer just until the water was incorporated.  I put the dough in my oven and used the proofing setting on my oven for about an hour.  After that, the dough was beautiful.  I rolled it out, placed it in a 14" cutter pan and docked the dough.  My oven has the element underneath the bottom floor so I placed the pan directly on the bottom of the oven for about 10 minutes before moving it up to the bottom rack.

The pizza was very crispy and had pockets of air much like the pictures shown in this forum.  I was very pleased with my first try!   ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2004, 09:53:22 AM »
Laura you my have just discovered a new pizza. 8)

Do you weigh your flour?
I have  found that 2/3 cup water was a little short.  3/4 cup of water worked better for me.
Did you tightly seal the container?  i tried one with a lightly sealed proof container and I was not happy with the results.

Good luck on your next pizza, it does take practice.

Randy

Offline Laura

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2004, 10:16:04 AM »
Randy,

I did weigh my flour.  It was exactly one pound.  And I put the dough in a gallon Zip-Loc so it was tightly sealed.

I will definitely add more water next time.  It's very weird though... since I live in the South, the humidity here usually means that I have to add less water than most recipes call for.  Go figure ???

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2004, 10:26:56 AM »
Most of us have discounted humidity as being a significant factor as compared to flour types.  I live in South Georgia so I know which you mean about humidity.  It was real sticky yesterday.

Unfortunately you had stumbled across in the old recipe that had not been updated.  I think Steve and DKM are soon to publish another web page with the latest thin crust recipe.

I think most people will the forum will find it interesting that you were able and successful by adding water after the 24-hour rise.  A great save.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2004, 11:33:19 AM »
I certainly find it a good thing that adding water so late saved the dough.

I really do need to look at that recipe again.  Since my new job, i'm just not home as much and do most of my dough making on the weekends.

DKM

The Dough Doctor

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »
I think I might be able to add something to your procedure. First, be sure to take the temperature of the water after you have "nuked: it. You don't want it to be more than 90 to 95F, unless you are using active dry yeast, then the water should be 105F. This temperature is very critical. Too hot or cooler and you will not get optimum yeast activity. Next, don't mix the yeast with the salt and sugar. This is bad for thwe yeast as both will have an inhibiting affect on the yeast in the concentrated solution. Also, be sure to weigh out the water. Remember, you are only working with 1-pound (454 grams) of flour weight and 4.45 grams (28.4 grams in an ounce) is equal to 1%, so as little as 9 grams of water can make a difference in dough consistency. Your scale should be accurate to within two grams or so to allow for accurate weighing of such smoall dough sizes.
A good method to use for making small batches is to put the water in the mixing bowl, add the yeast, and stir to suspend the yeast, then add the flour, salt, and sugar, mix for about 2 minutes, add the oil and continue mixing just until the ingredients are well incorporated. The dough will not be smooth. Remove the dough from ther bowl, apply salad oil to the surface of the dough and place it into a suitably sized bowl that has been lightly oiled, allow the dough to rise for 1-hour, turn the dough out of the bowl, divide into two equal pieces and form into balls, wipe with salad oil and place into two oiled bowls. Allow the dough to rise again for 45 minutes, turn out onto floured counter top and form into 10 to 12-inch diameter dough skins. I use this method all the time for teaching home baking and it really works well. If you want to get a copy of my home pizza formula please give me your e-mail address and I'll be glad to send it to you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2004, 12:15:50 PM »
Tom,

I made two thin "cracker" style pizzas last night. One using the Pizza Inn style recipe, the other using your Chicago cracker style recipe.

Both pizzas turned out great, with yours winning.

Here are links to the two recipes that I used:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php
http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_crackerstyle.php

I undercooked the Pizza Inn style crust, 450 F for 10 minutes was not quite long enough. You recipe was baked at 450 F for 12 minutes and it was perfect.

I'll post additional comments and pictures later.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 03:09:23 PM by Steve »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »
One quick comment:

Originally, I was baking the thin crust pizza in a very hot oven., 500 F or higher. And, I was placing the pan on the lowest oven rack so that the heating coil would superheat the pan and crisp up the dough.

But, after many pizzas, I'm not happy with that technique. The toppings usually burn before the pizza is fully cooked.

So, for the last four pizzas, I have been cooking at 450 F for about 12-15 minutes. The lower oven temperature ensures that the toppings don't burn, and the longer cook time ensures that the moisture in the dough bakes out (evaporates) of the crust which produces a crackery, crunchy, crust.  8)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 03:08:57 PM by Steve »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2004, 01:48:51 PM »
Steve, on the Chicago style thin crust pizza did you do an overnight rise on the counter?

Randy

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2004, 02:44:02 PM »
Both pizzas got a 24 hour rise in the refrigerator.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2004, 04:32:01 PM »
Was it better than the thin crust left on the counter to rise?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2004, 01:11:50 PM »
I think this week I'm going to try one on the counter for for about 12 hours.

This is closer to the time we use at Pizza Inn.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2004, 01:33:03 PM »
Was it better than the thin crust left on the counter to rise?

I wasn't happy with the refrigerator rise. Next time I'll do the 12 hour rise at room temperature.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2004, 05:13:28 PM »
Thanks Steve, I tried a 12 hour rise and was not happy with it but that was before I found out you and DKM were using a tightly sealed proof box.  I think I will give it another try next week.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2004, 05:35:16 PM »
I think the tight seal is the key.  There is so little moisture in the dough that if any gets out it can make a big difference.

DKM

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2004, 04:34:59 AM »
I have not had much time in the last weeks to contribute to the forum. The apartment is still a chaotic environment. The bathroom's wooden floor had to be removed and renewed. The kitchen to 1/2. Today the new carpets are being delivered and laid. One room today, the other 2 tomorrow. 1 more week of living out of boxes and having furniture stuffed into rooms that are too small to handle and then we will have this behind us..... and then I can get back to making some pizza and catching up on some of the posts and revised recipes.

One thing I noticed right away is that we have Tom Lehmann !! on our Forum now  ;D   :o

Now that's something very exciting.... to have one of the most reknown experts on this forum. Welcome to the forum Tom and a big hello from Hamburg, Germany!

missed you guy's alot in the past weeks....

Pierre Kiefer

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2004, 06:10:48 AM »
Good to hear from you Pierre, though we may have lost you in your home flooding.

I am glad that your repairs are almost done and hope that the rest of them fly by so that you can return to living in a home that is not so hectic and cluttered. :)

JW Bingen 8)
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2004, 06:51:46 AM »
Our house was caught in a 100 year flood twice in 5 years so I know what you are going through.  Funny thing now matter how many times you see is a floating case of quarts. motor oil in your garage is an odd site.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2004, 07:23:58 PM »
Hope things work out for you, Pierre.

Randy I don't think I would ever get use to that image myself.

DKM

pizzapan