Author Topic: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!  (Read 145112 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2004, 11:33:19 AM »
I certainly find it a good thing that adding water so late saved the dough.

I really do need to look at that recipe again.  Since my new job, i'm just not home as much and do most of my dough making on the weekends.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

The Dough Doctor

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »
I think I might be able to add something to your procedure. First, be sure to take the temperature of the water after you have "nuked: it. You don't want it to be more than 90 to 95F, unless you are using active dry yeast, then the water should be 105F. This temperature is very critical. Too hot or cooler and you will not get optimum yeast activity. Next, don't mix the yeast with the salt and sugar. This is bad for thwe yeast as both will have an inhibiting affect on the yeast in the concentrated solution. Also, be sure to weigh out the water. Remember, you are only working with 1-pound (454 grams) of flour weight and 4.45 grams (28.4 grams in an ounce) is equal to 1%, so as little as 9 grams of water can make a difference in dough consistency. Your scale should be accurate to within two grams or so to allow for accurate weighing of such smoall dough sizes.
A good method to use for making small batches is to put the water in the mixing bowl, add the yeast, and stir to suspend the yeast, then add the flour, salt, and sugar, mix for about 2 minutes, add the oil and continue mixing just until the ingredients are well incorporated. The dough will not be smooth. Remove the dough from ther bowl, apply salad oil to the surface of the dough and place it into a suitably sized bowl that has been lightly oiled, allow the dough to rise for 1-hour, turn the dough out of the bowl, divide into two equal pieces and form into balls, wipe with salad oil and place into two oiled bowls. Allow the dough to rise again for 45 minutes, turn out onto floured counter top and form into 10 to 12-inch diameter dough skins. I use this method all the time for teaching home baking and it really works well. If you want to get a copy of my home pizza formula please give me your e-mail address and I'll be glad to send it to you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2004, 12:15:50 PM »
Tom,

I made two thin "cracker" style pizzas last night. One using the Pizza Inn style recipe, the other using your Chicago cracker style recipe.

Both pizzas turned out great, with yours winning.

Here are links to the two recipes that I used:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php
http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_crackerstyle.php

I undercooked the Pizza Inn style crust, 450 F for 10 minutes was not quite long enough. You recipe was baked at 450 F for 12 minutes and it was perfect.

I'll post additional comments and pictures later.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 03:09:23 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »
One quick comment:

Originally, I was baking the thin crust pizza in a very hot oven., 500 F or higher. And, I was placing the pan on the lowest oven rack so that the heating coil would superheat the pan and crisp up the dough.

But, after many pizzas, I'm not happy with that technique. The toppings usually burn before the pizza is fully cooked.

So, for the last four pizzas, I have been cooking at 450 F for about 12-15 minutes. The lower oven temperature ensures that the toppings don't burn, and the longer cook time ensures that the moisture in the dough bakes out (evaporates) of the crust which produces a crackery, crunchy, crust.  8)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 03:08:57 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2004, 01:48:51 PM »
Steve, on the Chicago style thin crust pizza did you do an overnight rise on the counter?

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2004, 02:44:02 PM »
Both pizzas got a 24 hour rise in the refrigerator.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2004, 04:32:01 PM »
Was it better than the thin crust left on the counter to rise?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2004, 01:11:50 PM »
I think this week I'm going to try one on the counter for for about 12 hours.

This is closer to the time we use at Pizza Inn.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2004, 01:33:03 PM »
Was it better than the thin crust left on the counter to rise?

I wasn't happy with the refrigerator rise. Next time I'll do the 12 hour rise at room temperature.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2004, 05:13:28 PM »
Thanks Steve, I tried a 12 hour rise and was not happy with it but that was before I found out you and DKM were using a tightly sealed proof box.  I think I will give it another try next week.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2004, 05:35:16 PM »
I think the tight seal is the key.  There is so little moisture in the dough that if any gets out it can make a big difference.

DKM

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2004, 04:34:59 AM »
I have not had much time in the last weeks to contribute to the forum. The apartment is still a chaotic environment. The bathroom's wooden floor had to be removed and renewed. The kitchen to 1/2. Today the new carpets are being delivered and laid. One room today, the other 2 tomorrow. 1 more week of living out of boxes and having furniture stuffed into rooms that are too small to handle and then we will have this behind us..... and then I can get back to making some pizza and catching up on some of the posts and revised recipes.

One thing I noticed right away is that we have Tom Lehmann !! on our Forum now  ;D   :o

Now that's something very exciting.... to have one of the most reknown experts on this forum. Welcome to the forum Tom and a big hello from Hamburg, Germany!

missed you guy's alot in the past weeks....

Pierre Kiefer

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2004, 06:10:48 AM »
Good to hear from you Pierre, though we may have lost you in your home flooding.

I am glad that your repairs are almost done and hope that the rest of them fly by so that you can return to living in a home that is not so hectic and cluttered. :)

JW Bingen 8)
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2004, 06:51:46 AM »
Our house was caught in a 100 year flood twice in 5 years so I know what you are going through.  Funny thing now matter how many times you see is a floating case of quarts. motor oil in your garage is an odd site.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2004, 07:23:58 PM »
Hope things work out for you, Pierre.

Randy I don't think I would ever get use to that image myself.

DKM

Offline Gils

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2004, 02:37:20 PM »
Question for you on the cracker crust. Did you use the whole dough ball or break it into separate sizes and what size pizza were you making to what ratio of dough?

Also on Tom's recipe did you in fact used compressed yeast or did You substitute dry for it. By compressed yeast I am guessing that it is the brick of yeast?
Thanx in advance

Mike
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 02:39:51 PM by Gils »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2004, 03:46:42 PM »
Makes one pizza Mike.  16" Roll it out to about 1/8" which will be about 2" wider than a 16" pan.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2004, 05:14:07 PM »
Like Randy said, it makes one 16" pizza. Roll it out thin so that the dough is about 1/16" thick and when placed in a cutter pan the dough overlaps the pan by about 1" all the way around. Use a rolling pin to trim off the excess (hence the term "cutter pan").
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 05:14:25 PM by Steve »

Offline Gils

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2004, 05:34:14 PM »
Cool Beans   Thanx

Offline ninya

Re: Best ever thin "cracker" crust pizza!
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2007, 01:23:10 AM »
I made the most awesome thin "cracker" crust pizza tonight using DKM's recipe!

Thank you, thank you, thank you DKM!!!   :-*

Here's the recipe:

1 pound bread flour (Sam's Club "Bakers and Chefs bread flour")
2/3 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Using a KitchenAid stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add water to the mixing bowl and add yeast. Run mixer for several minutes to dissolve yeast. Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. After yeast is dissolved, add flour mixture to water and set mixer to speed "2". Run mixer for about 10 minutes using a rubber spatula to scrape any dry flour from side of mixing bowl into the path of the dough hook. After 10 minutes, add vegetable oil and mix for 2 additional minutes using spatula to keep everything in the path of the dough hook. When finished, the dough will appear very scrappy and rough. Pick up the dough scraps and press them into a ball by squeezing them together with your hands. Place dough into a plastic bucket, seal, and and allow to rise at room temperature for 24 hours.

When ready to make pizza, turn dough out onto floured work surface. Using a large rolling pin, roll dough out very thin. Drape dough over an oiled cutter pan, press into place, and trim off excess with the rolling pin. Dock the dough, add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake at 500 degrees F. on the lowest rack in the oven (the cutter pan should only be inches from the heating element). I open the oven door frequently to allow the heat to escape... this causes the thermostat to kick on which keeps the bottom heating element on. This superheats the pan making the crust cook and become crispy. When the bottom is golden brown and crisp, remove from oven. Slide pizza out of pan onto a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before placing in a serving tray and slicing.

Note: Use low-moisture part-skim mozzerella cheese. I use Stella brand which is available from Sam's Club. For the sauce, use my thin-crust sauce found on the main website .

Thank you DKM!!!!  ;D
Check out tonight's pizza:

That pizza slice loks awesome!!!

Steve I cant find that pizza sauce recipe, can you please provide me the link? thankyou!

pizzapan