Author Topic: Shakey's - Oroville, CA  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Mad_Ernie

Shakey's - Oroville, CA
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
Some photos I took during a family vacation to northern California on March 7, 2010.  We made a special trip to Oroville to partake at the local Shakey's restaurant.  This is about 1 hour north of Sacramento, where Shakey's first began (and near as I can tell, no more Shakey's restaurants exist).  The restaurant has been remodeled to conform more to the new look of Jacmar Shakey's locations, but it still has some of the old feel to it. 

The pizza was an Italian sausage and mushroom.  We got some chicken and mojo's just to try them (they never had these items when I was frequented Shakey's in my day).

Bear in mind, I have not tasted a Shakey's pizza in at least 30 years. 

I was expecting to be transported back to those thrilling days of yesteryear just by walking through the door and taking my first bite.  That didn't really happen, but it was well worth the trip, nonetheless.  The pizza was very good to excellent.  What I found holding my attention and taste buds was not the crust or toppings (good, though they were), so much, as the sauce.  That sauce was what really brought back some memories and, for me, made this trip memorable, as well.  My wife found the Italian sausage to be a little too spicy.  By itself, it did have a little kick to it, which I liked, but on the pizza it blended so well that I didn't even notice.  Take note, Shakey's still applies their Italian sausage in little globs, not like some places where it's in guinea pig pellets or completely ground up and sprinkled over the pie.

The chicken was okay but forgettable.   I never had mojo's before, and frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about.  Seasoned fried potato slices.  They're okay, but nothing to write here about, imo.

Bottom line: very good.  I'd give it an A-.

Why not an A or A+?  I'm not sure I could say for sure.  One part may be a slight lack of the hype I had built up for myself that nothing ever lives up to.  Part of it my be my open pizza snobbishness and the fact that since those days of my youth I have sampled and enjoyed some very fine pizzas of all types from all over the USA.  But would I go back?  You bet!! ;D   
Would I love to have a Shakey's in driving distance of my house?  Absolutely.

Hats off to you Shakey's - Oroville.  You are worth every bit of the tip I left you and then some.  :D

-ME

Let them eat pizza.

Offline BTB

Re: Shakey's - Oroville, CA
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »
ME, nice pictures of the Shakey's pizza.  I sure remember those great pizzerias in the Chicago suburban areas long ago (and their famous Sunday buffets).  Similar to, but not quite like, my favorite Barnaby's of that era.  I think that era had better pizza places than the Domino's, Papa John's, Little Cesar's, Hungry Howie's, etc. of present day.  They had much better choices, flavor, tastes, etc., but everything changes, doesn't it?  But not for the better, unfortunately IMO.  How/Why have we digressed?

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
ME, nice pictures of the Shakey's pizza.  I sure remember those great pizzerias in the Chicago suburban areas long ago (and their famous Sunday buffets).  Similar to, but not quite like, my favorite Barnaby's of that era.  I think that era had better pizza places than the Domino's, Papa John's, Little Cesar's, Hungry Howie's, etc. of present day.  They had much better choices, flavor, tastes, etc., but everything changes, doesn't it?  But not for the better, unfortunately IMO.  How/Why have we digressed?

The Shakey's, Barnaby's, and even the original Pizza Huts of the world were designed to be a family experience.  'We want you come in here, take a load off, and dine with us.' 

The newer places are all about speed.  Cheap, good, and fast.  You can have 2 of the 3, but you can never have all 3.  We digressed because the public at large wanted faster food to consume while on the go without much thought to quality.  "Just give me something to satisfy my empty stomach until the next board meeting or soccor game.".

One of my 2 favorite places to go near where I live is more of dine-in, family oriented pizza restaurant like the old Shakey's.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »
There's been some talk about Shakey's on other threads here on the forum.  From what I have read here and elsewhre on the internet, the consensus seems to be Shakey's was a mismanaged venture under Hunts, mainly by the franchisees.  Franchisees can kill a business, but they can also save it.  It all depends on the person.  To see what I mean, get ahold of a copy of the film/video at the site below and you'll see how Shakey's management really managed to screw some of their francishees over as far back as the early
1980's.

http://icarusfilms.com/cat97/k-o/mid_famb.html
Let them eat pizza.

Offline kiya

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Shakey's... i forgot that place even existed in the US still.
Are there any in the Bay Area?

I've been to the one in Tokyo once or twice last year.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »
I don't think there are any in the Bay area.  Most are located in the Los Angeles area in the US.  You could go to the shakey's website and find their locations in the states.   There is one that has just opened on Oahu in Hawaii.

www.shakeys.com/
Let them eat pizza.