Author Topic: 750-850F in home oven WITHOUT cutting lock  (Read 9819 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: 750-850F in home oven WITHOUT cutting lock
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »
they don't really look burnt to me. maybe one or two because it's a work in progress, but the last pie is gorgeous.

If you think that's burnt...you probably wouldn't eat anything coming out of the ovens at Motorino or Keste...

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »
they don't really look burnt to me. maybe one or two because it's a work in progress, but the last pie is gorgeous.

If you think that's burnt...you probably wouldn't eat anything coming out of the ovens at Motorino or Keste...

HS,

I wasn't talking about the last pies. I was talking about the first pics in the thread. Maybe I should have made that clearer. My bad. But I agree with you, the last ones are indeed nice.

Motorino, Keste and UPN are a complete different animal with a complete different dough formula then one can produce with a regular home oven.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

Thanks for the compliment HS.  Yeah the last two pics I put up were my nearlypolitan pies.  I didn't think they were burnt either.  The few burnt pies as you have noticed were my first ones.  I been burning less and less as I'm learning how best to use my home oven.  My main issue right now (because I'm so dang picky) is the even browning of the crust.  I've got the burning bottom issue taken care of.  

I could have easily not posted any burnt pies but what's the point in that.  I try to continually learn from everything.  It's really amazing how many variables there are in making a good pizza.   To get a good lookin and good tasting pizza that means that many many variables would have to be right and that's no easy task.  
  Anyone who's spent some time making pizza can relate.   That's why it's really cool for me to look at a pizza or read a post about a problem and be able to identify with the operator b/c I've been there before.  That experience is very rich to me.
  I was very impressed with one of our members (Scott - I can't recall which one they are both GREAT) when he was able to see a pic of my pizza and know exactly what was going on.   When I had naively thought it was an issue of underdevelop gluten, he disagreed and he was right.  It turned out to be a yeast issue and not a gluten issue.  The people and their experiences we have here is like no other forum I've been on.  

Anyways, I get the sense that you are still working on finding a good setup for your oven.  Did you even try out some of the different techniques and tips you picked up and how did it work out or not?  I'd love to see a couple of your pies HS.  

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »
Yes, I'm still searching.  ;D

I think they are baking a little too long....no burning, but the inner crumb is a little dryer than I'd prefer, and the top sometimes lacks color (though, I could attribute that to the AP flour...heard bread was better.

It seems even an extra 100 degrees will create a gorgeous pie....if I can get that and cook it in 5-6 minutes I'd be thrilled (until I got pizzahacker's pizza forge  >:D )

Right now, my stone is on the lowest rack in the oven, getting blasted by the bottom burner for about an hour. Pizzahog recommended I create a thermal mass above the pizza, but I don't have the materials to try this yet (but I will in the near future!) I have a large cast iron skillet I'm thinking of using, and I need to get some steel pans or something too.

It's all a balancing act, but I feel like I've come a long way. If I like my next pies, I'll take a picture for sure....but I'm sure you can understand one not eager to present pies he felt could have been better....it's coming along though and I'm happy :)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
A little broiler shenanigans tonight.   Still trying to get that awesome yet elusive NP leoparding.  Stone temp here was above 900F. 

Offline davidcwilliams

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
Hi, not sure if this thread has been abandoned or simply moved.  I tried Chau's method with an electric broiler.  In order to get closer to the 2.5" mark I rested my pizza stone on top of my cast iron skillet.  I then tried to adjust its position and... - C R A C K - ! ! !

My question is, what do I ask for at Home Depot?  Is there something I can buy that is thicker and larger (and less likely to crack) than just another pizza stone?

Thanks.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 07:36:33 AM »
Hi, not sure if this thread has been abandoned or simply moved.  I tried Chau's method with an electric broiler.  In order to get closer to the 2.5" mark I rested my pizza stone on top of my cast iron skillet.  I then tried to adjust its position and... - C R A C K - ! ! !

My question is, what do I ask for at Home Depot?  Is there something I can buy that is thicker and larger (and less likely to crack) than just another pizza stone?

Thanks.

DW - sorry to hear about your pizza stone.  Unfortunately that is the risk we take when baking at high temps using the broiler technique.   I have tried many different types of natural stones from HD/Lowes and they all crack in under 10 bakes.  The stone you see in the pics above is a PRIMO stone and can handle the high temps.  It does cost more than a typical $10 stone from bed bath and beyond though.

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, but instead in a similar thread "almost-wfo-politans".  Just do a search if you are interested.

Chau

Offline davidcwilliams

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »
Thanks Chau, I figured you guys had relocated.  =)

pizzapan