Author Topic: Best Places people on this forum have found to buy Seeds or Perennials?  (Read 23745 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
These are some pictures of how my tomato plants are growing.  The first picture is of the Amish Paste.  The next 3 pictures are of different kinds of San Marzano tomatoes.  The last pictures is of the grape tomatoes.  I have many other tomato plants and will post pictures when the tomatoes are about ready.  The rest are heirloom tomatoes, so I am anxious to also try them.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
last of pictures

Norma

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Norma, you both a red and a green thumb. 8)

By the way, this year I bought some of my seeds at Wally world, although everything grew, there was a different difference in size and quality compared to last years crops I bought from Johnny's seed.

I don't think I would hesitate buy seeds from Wally world again if I needed something I didn't have but I will try to buy the bulk from a better source.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Randy,

LOL, I just looked at both of my thumbs and they sure donít look either red or green.  Just kidding, I know what you mean.  :-D

That is also interesting to hear how your purchased some of your seeds from Wally world and they werenít as good in size and quality compared to last years crops purchased from Johnnyís seed.  I will have do some strategy for next year and also search and try different seeds from places members have said are best.  Who knows, we might all get the greatest bunch of tomatoes next year. 

Thanks for posting your findings,  8)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I uploaded a short video of how my tomato plants are growing.  There are around 20 tomato plants planted.   If you look close in this video, it can be seen there are many butterflies in our area.  Some of them are much more beautiful then others.  This morning there werenít any of the more beautiful butterflies outside. 

If you listen to the back round noise you can hear the dog-day cicadas. Their singing can get very loud at times.  Sometimes they sound haunting and eerie. They sing to attract females.  The females donít sing. Some of these cicadas are large and scary looking. They are an interesting insects and their life cycles are really different.  They can emerge from their shells in about an hour, after emerging from the ground and crawling up a trees or blades of weeds. We find many shells, in our area.

I am getting brown spots on my lawn because of white grubs of the Japanese Beetles.  They feed on grass roots.  This time of year in our area, there are a lot of Japanese Beetles. I will need to treat the areas that are brown. The crab grass is also rearing its ugly head.  I didnít treat my grass this spring, so I will have crab grass now, mixed with the other grass.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Best Places people on this forum have found to buy Seeds or Perennials?
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
A couple of weeks later and this is how my tomato plants look.  I donít have any idea what the one kind of San Marzano tomatoes are that are getting really big, but if anyone has any idea about what kind they are or how they taste, let me know. This big San Marzanoís were the ones that I didnít think would make it, because they were so leggy.  More tomatoes are really getting ripe each day.  None of my heirloom tomatoes are ripe as of now.

The big San Marzano tomatoes are in the second picture.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 03:37:18 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
I am just posting this if anyone is having problems with something eating their tomatoes or their tomato plants. It has been very dry in our area the last few weeks and hot this past week. The weather changed yesterday and it is cooler here and has been raining on and off.  Yesterday afternoon there was a storm in our area and I decided it was a good time to fertilize my tomato plants since the fertilizer needs to be washed into the ground around the tomatoes.  I notice something had been eating off the top of my one heirloom tomato plant.  It was raining hard, so I didnít bother to investigate what could be doing that. Early this evening I decided to see if any tomatoes were ripe and also to see if I could find out why the tops of the one heirloom plant was shredded.  I found the culprit.  Here are two pictures to show what had been eating my heirloom tomato plant.  That dirty bugger had tomato seeds all over it.  :-D  Can you guess what happened to it?

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
  That dirty bugger had tomato seeds all over it.  :-D  Can you guess what happened to it?

Norma

I hope he was not attending a family reunion in your tomato patch.  Keep your eyes open.

Never saw one of those before.  We don't have them so far.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
cranky,

I never saw one of these buggers before either.  It was big.  I will watch and see if any relatives are eating at my plants.  This was the only plant that had the tops of the tomato plant eaten off.  I couldnít figure out yesterday, what was going on with that. That plant is over 6' tall.  I first thought I never saw anything like that before and was wondering if some kind of bird was doing that, but know they donít eat tomato plants. 

If I see something is eating at one of my other tomato plants, at least I will now know what to look for.

Great to hear you donít have any of those worms.  ;D  (I guess that is what it was?)

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 11:44:57 PM »
Norma,

That sucker that has been eating your tomatos is the Tomato Horn Worm, and those things on its back are not tomato seeds, they are the cocoons spun by the larvae of the Braconid Wasp.

The adult wasp laid the eggs inside the Horn Worm where they hatched and grow as larvae eating the worm from the inside until they emerge through the skin and spun these little cocoons. It is really a marvel of nature, the DNA of the wasp actually contains portions that are the templates for the components of viral particles, which when assembled into viruses by the wasp, suppress the immune system in the worm and allow the parasitoid to grow inside the host undetected.

As difficult as it may be, you shouldn't kill the worms with cocoons as the wasps they are nurturing are an important biological control agent. By killing the infected worm, you also kill the wasp larvae thus reducing the predator population and increasing the worm population. You can put the worm in a jar with fresh leaves for it to eat until the wasps hatch then let them loose in your garden. By the time you see the cocoons, the worm is dead - he just doesn't know it yet...

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
Norma,

That sucker that has been eating your tomatos is the Tomato Horn Worm, and those things on its back are not tomato seeds, they are the cocoons spun by the larvae of the Braconid Wasp.

The adult wasp laid the eggs inside the Horn Worm where they hatched and grow as larvae eating the worm from the inside until they emerge through the skin and spun these little cocoons. It is really a marvel of nature, the DNA of the wasp actually contains portions that are the templates for the components of viral particles, which when assembled into viruses by the wasp, suppress the immune system in the worm and allow the parasitoid to grow inside the host undetected.

As difficult as it may be, you shouldn't kill the worms with cocoons as the wasps they are nurturing are an important biological control agent. By killing the infected worm, you also kill the wasp larvae thus reducing the predator population and increasing the worm population. You can put the worm in a jar with fresh leaves for it to eat until the wasps hatch then let them loose in your garden. By the time you see the cocoons, the worm is dead - he just doesn't know it yet...

Craig

Craig,

After I killed that Tomato Horn Worm, I went on the computer to find out what it was, because I never saw anything like that before around our area.  I also saw just what you have posted and I know now, I should not have killed  :o the Horn Worm.  I also saw when I was looking about them that what you had said was right, about the wasp larvae being what those little white things were.  I also saw on the web, that if you take a black light out when it is dark, the green worms will glow, if you look for them with a black light. Me being the kind of person that always likes to investigate what is going on, just had to dig out a black light in my shed about 11:00 pm last evening.  I took a table light, put the black light bulb in, got an extension cord and went Tomato Horn Worm hunting around the same tomato plant that had that Horn Worm on.  I didn't find anymore, but saw a few little things that did glow.  I am now wondering if they too will turn into Tomato Horn Worms.  I will keep an eye on that tomato plant. I also read that if you put the Horn Worm in a jar with holes in the Horn Worm will then turn back into the kind of moth that laid the larvae.  Because the Horn Worm was already infested with wasp larvae, it wouldn't have survived the transformation. 

I appreciate you telling all about the Tomato Horn Worm.  I am always looking at nature and what happens.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 10:17:19 AM »
Sounds like a horror movie.  The insect world is full of amazement.  Do these wasps have any other way of reproducing without the tomato worm?

In the spring I had many lady bugs in my garden, but haven't seen any for awhile and aphids are appearing.  Any idea why they disappeared? 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
Sounds like a horror movie.  The insect world is full of amazement.  Do these wasps have any other way of reproducing without the tomato worm?

In the spring I had many lady bugs in my garden, but haven't seen any for awhile and aphids are appearing.  Any idea why they disappeared? 

cranky,

When I read about those Tomato Horn Worms, that was something I didnít know before.

If you read this article you will see that wasps are parasites or parasitoids as larvae, and feed only on nectar as adults.  Many wasps are predatory, using other insects (often paralyzed) as food for their larvae.  A few social wasps are omnivorous, feeding on a variety of fallen fruit. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp

The insect world is fascinating and in another thread I had posted about the cicadas in our area.  They are also a fascinating insect.  The sounds of the cicadas in our area can become almost deafening at times, because they become so loud, you can hardly hear what someone is saying to you when you are outside. 

I have no idea why the ladybugs disappeared in your area.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »

Cranky,
It is entirely possible that Braconidae are responsible for the disappearance of your ladybugs and aphids, but it is unlikely that it is the same wasps that got Norma's caterpillar as there is a high level of parasitoid-host specificity. Braconidae are parasitoids of many types of insects - especially upon the larval stages of Coleoptera (would include ladybugs (Coccinella septempunctata) - a type of beetle), Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies to include the Five-Spotted Hawkmoth a.k.a the tomato horn worm in its larval stage a.k.a. Manduca quinquemaculata), and Diptera (flies), and some hemimetabolous (no pupal stage) insects like aphids.

To me the most wonderful thing is the evolution of the Braconidae - that their DNA contains the patterns needed for them to assemble an virus that suppresses the immune system of the host insect and prevents it from killing the larva that is eating it from the inside. How does that happen without Divine intervention?

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
Craig,

Since you know so much about the insect world, including all the technical names, I just went out back in my yard and took some pictures of what I think are butterflies.  We have many here and you almost needs to brush them out of the way, when walking.  I know most of these are butterflies, but are the darker ones any type of moth like what laid the lavae or are they also butterflies?  I know we have many moths in our area also, and you can see many at night time if you leave a light on outdoors.

I also really donít understand the insect world, but marvel of what happens.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
I canít tell the difference between a hawk moth and a humming bird Hawk-moth.  I just went outside again to look for moths.  I did see this insect and although it looks like a hummingbird, maybe this is what laid the larvae for the Tomato Horn Worm.  Does anyone know if this is a Hawk Moth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphingidae

Pictures below-if anyone is interested in seeing this insect, you might need to enlarge the picture or magnify them.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
Norma,

The ones I can identify from the pictures are, in order of the pictures posted below:

1) Cabbage White - Pieris rapae
2) Common Buckeye - Junonia coenia (with some wing dmage from the look of it)
3) Grey Hairstreak - Strymon melinus
4) Red Admiral - Vanessa atalanta
5) Dreamy Duskywing - Erynnis icelus - I think. I can't be positive from the picture, but I'm pretty sure it is a Duskywing.

I can't make out the markings in the other pictures.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Norma,

The ones I can identify from the pictures are, in order of the pictures posted below:

1) Cabbage White - Pieris rapae
2) Common Buckeye - Junonia coenia (with some wing dmage from the look of it)
3) Grey Hairstreak - Strymon melinus
4) Red Admiral - Vanessa atalanta
5) Dreamy Duskywing - Erynnis icelus - I think. I can't be positive from the picture, but I'm pretty sure it is a Duskywing.

I can't make out the markings in the other pictures.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for naming the butterflies.  I posted pictures of what I think might be a Hawk Hummingbird Moth, but don't know what happened to those pictures.  I thought maybe if you thought the pictures looked like a Hawk Hummingbird Moth, maybe that is what laid larvae on my tomato plant that then turned into the Tomato Horn Worm.  I will have to see what happened to that post.

Thanks for you help,

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
To me the most wonderful thing is the evolution of the Braconidae - that their DNA contains the patterns needed for them to assemble an virus that suppresses the immune system of the host insect and prevents it from killing the larva that is eating it from the inside. How does that happen without Divine intervention?
Craig

You must be an entomolgist.  The Latin gave you away.  
Regarding the theological question, I guess you have confronted what is known as mystery.  I don't know a lot about evolution.  What I was taught is that it happens so slowly that it is unobservable.  But nowadays people seem to be claiming to see evolutionary changes happening in species.  

The complexity of the things we see in the physical universe we try to explain.  We want to know how everything works and came into being and why and where it is all going.  I think our finite intellects have limitations.  There are things we don't and can't know.   I can't know all the answers about existance, but am happy to learn and wonder about what we see, kind of like a kid in a playground or garden.  It is all fascinating, but incomprehensible at some point.  Even understanding what happens in a pizza oven to tomato, cheese and dough is challenging.  Comprehending something like evolution and divine intervention is an interesting pastime, but we will never get it all.  Wonderment is good.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »
Somehow, I think I posted these pictures and post before the butterflies.  I don't remember how I did that but sorry for any confusion.  I did take the pictures of the butterflies before the insect that I still don't know what it is.  :-[

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:00:00 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
Another sorry, I didn't see that Craig posted pictures that I had posted with their names under them and this is how I messed up these posts.  Craig was being a big help and I though I lost my posts.  :-D

Norma
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:04:06 PM by norma427 »

pizzapan