Author Topic: One way to make your photos "small" enough to post with Windows XP & Vista  (Read 3480 times)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
If you are running Windows and have an active email client installed, there is an auto photo re-size function available.
XP:
Highlight the photo/s you with to re-size.
Right click and choose "send to mail recipient"
A small window will pop up with the option "make my pictures smaller".  Click OK.
Now your email client will open along with a new email message started and your re-sized photos will already be attached.
Double click on each attached photo as if to open and view.  A box will pop up asking if you wish to "open" or "save".
Choose "save", then save the re-sized photos wherever is convenient, such as desktop.
Close the email message without saving and close your email client.
Now your re-sized photos are saved and ready to be attached to your post.
VISTA:
Pretty much same as above except you choose the new small size in the first window that pops up, "small" is prob best, then click "attach" instead of "OK" as above.
Vista also has a "resize" option accessible under the "file" menu at the top.  Highlight your photo, click on "file", select "resize" then choose "small" and finally "Resize and save".  This function may only be available when your photo is filed in Windows Live Photo Gallery however.

These steps are generic but usually consistent with the common defaults that most users have, but as with anything having to do with computers, your mileage may vary. 

Offline Bob1

PizzaHog,
Good to know.  I was having trouble so I downloaded Google Picasso.  I use the export button and select the size.  Not a bad program for free.

Bob

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
That's works just as you posted on W7 as well.

Thanks.

Randy

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
That's works just as you posted on W7 as well.

Thanks.

Randy

I did not know that not having seen 7 yet but good to know it works.  Was just trying to point this out for those who don't have or don't wish to install a photo app.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
another one is the imager resize at powertoys for xp.  its a simple right click,  choose your size.  and done works on xp vista and 7

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

Offline BTech

another one is the imager resize at powertoys for xp.  its a simple right click,  choose your size.  and done works on xp vista and 7

This is really a nice set of tools

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I donít know a lot about computers, but I run Windows XP.  On my computer you just go to pictures left click to open all pictures, then right click on group of pictures to open, right click on picture to edit, under image it will say stretch and skew.  I usually stretch and skew horizontal 20% vertical 20% (if it needs to be flipped rotated do that), then under file click save. 
Usually I can do about 8 pictures in about 6  minutes.  When I want to post pictures just left click on the picture that was saved. One or two photos donít take very long.  Usually I can post 4 pictures on one post this way.

I usually write on word first, for my post, in case one of the pictures might be too large. This has happened a few times.

If I want to scan a document or picture on my printer, just made sure to scan as a picture, then click save to file.  Go on your scans and just left click to put picture in post.  You might also want to do the same thing as above to make sure the picture or document isnít too large.

I never tried any of this other ideas on the thread and it would be interesting to hear if these other ideas were easier.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bob1

Norma,
It is royal pain when you loose a post with a lot of writing because the picture is too large, or a bad connection with your router.  Whenever I post I just highlight the words and right click copy.  That way if I loose it I just repaste it in a new post.  It saves having to open up word.

Bob

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Hi Norma
"Easier" is in the eye of the beholder and there is always diff ways to get to the end result with computers just like pizza!
But if the least amount of time spent and clicking = easiest, powertoys definately wins the gold by a landslide.  Select/highlight photos to resize, 3 clicks, wait about 3 seconds - done!
Power toys are known to be quite reliable and it is a quick and simple download and install so if you are OK with that process you might want to give it a try.  
I forgot all about these power toys and thank widespreadpizza for the suggestion.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
PizzaHog, Bob, and widespreadpizza,

Thanks for the suggestions for powertoys. I said I wasn't that great at computers.  :(  I appreciate you all telling me and others the easier way to resize the pictures.  :)  I usually do thing the hard way, until I learn from others, easier ways to go about doing something. 

Thanks again,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
The re-size program doesn't work on W7 but the paint program that comes with 7 has an easy to use re-size tool.

You can right click on the photo and select paint there.

A good thread.

Just as a side note, I like W7, a few changes over XP that makes you change your ways just a bit but all and all a good change.  No outlook express but once you get used to Windows Live, not so bad.

Randy

pizzapan