Author Topic: Tomato Growing Project  (Read 23285 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Tomato Growing Project
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »
anything you can do about leggy seedlings?

Patrick

Offline sear

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 01:31:14 AM »
fan and more light

heres a pic of my cheap set up

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »
anything you can do about leggy seedlings?

Yes! When it is time to transplant into the garden, if you can lay the leggy part horizontally and cover with some soil, sprouts will grow out from the buried part. Some of the most productive plants I have ever grown have started this way.

Offline cranky

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
Yes! When it is time to transplant into the garden, if you can lay the leggy part horizontally and cover with some soil, sprouts will grow out from the buried part. Some of the most productive plants I have ever grown have started this way.

It is true that plants that are planted on their sides with a green crown above the soil can do well.  The roots can get established faster.  This helps when a lot of times home started plants get root bound in their pots and the tops get too big.  Some of the stem with those bumps at the base goes under the soil and the bumps put out roots that are not a tangled mess.  Ideally, you want to time starting seeds so that the top and roots are ready to go, in balance with one another at the time of transplanting.  Leggy plants are caused by not enough light.  In nature new plants normally have to compete for light so they stretch out to get above the competition if they are not getting enough light.  They will do this until they die.  Home starts sitting next to a window, even a south facing window will not get full sun all day so they will tend to stretch out and get leggy.  The starts in the photo are too far gone.  They are not going to make it, and if they do they are not going to grow well and put on lots of fruit.  They are retarded and weak from insufficient light and can not be fixed.    Pizza makers will pay a lot of money for a single can of high quality good tomatoes.  Home grown tomatoes will be far superior.   Paying a dollar or two for a properly started hothouse plant in perfect condition is a good investment, a bargain compared to a $4 can of tomatoes. Artificial light is not sufficient unless you use the right flourescents that provide the right light specrtrum and that costs a bit. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »
Tran,

Here is a picture of how my San Marzano tomato seedlings are doing.  There sure arenít doing well and donít grow much at time.  :(  I put them next to the my Azaleaís to make me feel better, because they are thriving, LOL I also went to a flea market today and different vendors had plants and bulbs.  I think if my seedling donít soon start to do better I will go all with smaller plants that are already established. I bought some Jet Star and Grape tomato plants, basil, and oregano. I also bought some different bulbs to try out. 

Guess what was at the flea market.  :o  A pizza van.  I looked at their pizza, but the crust looked too white for my liking.  They were selling pizza, though. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
Guess what was at the flea market.  :o  A pizza van.  I looked at their pizza, but the crust looked too white for my liking.  They were selling pizza, though. 

Norma,

You might want to bring former bodybuilder Matt, shown in Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9759.msg84683.html#msg84683, to "talk" to the people with the pizza van, if you get my drift. He won't be smiling then, I can assure you.

Peter

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
Norma,

You might want to bring former bodybuilder Matt, shown in Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9759.msg84683.html#msg84683, to "talk" to the people with the pizza van, if you get my drift. He won't be smiling then, I can assure you.

Peter

Antyime Norma! 8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »
LOL Peter, I remember that thread and do get your drift.  :-D I  was willing to help in that thread as were Mike, John, and others.  I know Matt would help anyone, you donít want to mess with him. Glad I got him on my side.  :-D

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9759.msg84875.html#msg84875

The crust from the pizza van was flat and white.  I enjoyed looking at it though.  The slices were selling for 2.00 for cheese.

I bought other plants there also.  Since our area is basically an agriculture area, the plants are inexpensive here. I was asking about tomatoes from a Mennonite woman.  She also said they need plenty of light and are hard to start to grow from seed, unless you have the proper conditions.  Since there are many Amish and Mennonites  around our area, they sure do know about plants.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:33 AM »
So it has been 15 days since I started.  Most of the tomato seedlings have develop the first 2 true leaves.  Believe it or not I see one or 2 new seedlings just now poking up.  So apparently some of them are procrastinators.   The tomato seedlings are not too leggy and have developed a dark purplish color to the stem.  the stems look like they are thickening a bit as well. 

The instructions from the grow kit tell me that when the first 2 true leaves come in, to cut the stems of the weaker plants and leave just the strongest seedling.  The problem with this is that I just don't want to do that.  I didn't just baby them for 2 weeks just to cut some off at the knee caps.   Also what if during the transition to outdoor soil some of them die off?  Now what have I got? 

So I decide to gently separate and transfer some to new paper pots.  In the process I also decide to replant them deeper so that the stem can hopefully develop more roots.  I actually transplanted a few 3 days ago that where blown over by the wind outside as a test to see if they woud/could survive and they did.  Some of the earlier transplanted seedlings actually had a broken stem and the have been revived!

So here they are...pre and post transplant. I just separated them so that they would have more room  to grow.  I'm still keeping them indoors for another 2 weeks plus. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:45:48 AM by Tranman »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »
Here's the last pic.  it wouldn't fit in the above post. 

I have also planted new seeds tonight.  Some dill, chives, and more basil (Cinnamon and Sweet basil).
To off set this whole leggy stem issue, I decide to only fill the grow pots half way.  That way when the seeds sprount and IF they develop the leggy stems,  i can always add more potting soil to bury more of the stem.  This will allow new roots to develop and get the main root deeper. 

Here are all the seedlings together after separating and replanting most of the tomato seedlings.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:47:16 AM by Tranman »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 06:16:57 AM »
Tran,

Your tomato plants look terrific.   :)  Keep the pictures coming.  I enjoy watching how your seedlings are growing.  Mine aren't fairing out as well.  :(

Norma
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:40:36 PM by norma427 »

Offline sear

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »
they look good Tran, if you are going to go to the trouble of separating them
save your self from doing it again and only put one seedling per container (i think i see a couple re planted together )

;)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2010, 09:13:05 PM »
Sear how observant of you!   :P  Those will likely be uprooted when they are big enough and go into a hydroponic or aeroponic container.  I haven't decide yet.   The bottom row that have mutliple plants in them are cilantro on the left and basil on the right just in case anyone was wondering.

If not I will likely break the pot in half and grow in the ground.  I will transplant the bigger and healthier plants into the soil, but I am betting the hydro/aero plants will easily outgrow the soil ones.   Stay tuned.  I'm so excited about builing an aeroponic unit! 

BTW, the newly transplanted tomatoes sat under a kitchen light all night and today they all look lively.  woohoo!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:15:26 PM by Tranman »

Offline cranky

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
I know this is off topic, non-tomato, but it is gardening related.  

Herbs that reseed themselves or the plants come back in spring and that are dried for use, are probably getting ready for harvest in a lot of places.  Thyme, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, parsley, celery tops are all near their peak flavor in my herb garden.  I'll pick and dry some, as much as I need for myself and to give to family and friends and leave the rest.  If they go much longer they will flower and pass their prime.  I have so much oregano that it is like a weed and it tastes great.  My wife microwaves it on low power, watching it very carefully.  It is the best oregano I have ever had, very fresh and intense tasting and smelling.

The point is to keep your eye on your herbs starting now.  Another way we put them away is blending them in olive oil and freezing.  This works well with basil.  We make a thick paste and fill ice cube trays and freeze them.  The next day take them out of the tray in cubes and vacuum seal them or freeze in freezer bags.  The freshness is preserved fairly well and it is a lot cheaper than buying a sprig in the winter in the grocery store.

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
Cranky,
why freeze or dry them when you can grow them all year round hydroponically. I grow lots of basil especially for canning my tomatoes. When you make pizza do you use frozen basil in the winter? I am not trying to be sarcastic but if you ever try you will never go back to  frozen herbs except for dry oregano.
There is an aeroponic unit available at Bed,Bath & Be...if you are not handy for about $129.00 and it costs pennies a day to run it. I hope I didn't bore you.

Offline sear

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
i want to try a little hydro/aero setup too.
what kind of kitchen light you use Tran ?

Nina, in curious how long you can keep oregano/basil growing in those things before it over grows the tank ? or has other problems ?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:43:20 PM by sear »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »
i want to try a little hydro/aero setup too.
what kind of kitchen light you use Tran ?

Nina, in curious how long you can keep oregano/basil growing in those things before it over grows the tank ? or has other problems ?

Sear to save you some time, I found some great sites for info and instructions.

hydroponicsmadesimple.com
simplyhydro.com
easyhydroponics.net

Norma posted some links as well earlier, I'll have to check those out.

Nina, how often do you change the water out completely or do you just keep added more water and nutrients to the old water?

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
Tran,
I think I mentioned to you one week with nutrients,one week just water. What type of growing medium did you decide to use?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2010, 10:18:40 PM »
Tran,
I think I mentioned to you one week with nutrients,one week just water. What type of growing medium did you decide to use?

Sorry Nina, I forgot that.  As I normally over research, I end up having all the info melding together in my head.  :-D   I think I may make both units.  I was going to make a simple water culture hydro using just a container and an aerator (fish tank aerator), but then I found some simple instructions for an aeroponic unit that I would love to try at hydroponicsmadesimple.com.  I would likely build a bigger one than theirs to accomodate 8-12 plants but we will see.   I hope to have it built within the next few weeks.  If the aeroponic unit doesn't work out for some reason, I can always return some of the parts and use the tub for a hydro unit. 
  I also want to eventually build a light stand to hang some lamps for winter time usage.

Nina, a big thanks for introducing the topic of hydroponics in this thread, for your pics, and encouragement. 

Tran   

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
Tran,
I am glad I was able to help. You're going to have lots of fun with your new hobby. Keep it simple and cheap and it will last you forever. I know when I go to these hydroponic stores I see people that spend thousands of dollars, do you have any idea who?
Post some pix soon, ok?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »
Tran,
I am glad I was able to help. You're going to have lots of fun with your new hobby. Keep it simple and cheap and it will last you forever. I know when I go to these hydroponic stores I see people that spend thousands of dollars, do you have any idea who?
Post some pix soon, ok?

I sure will post pics.  Those same ppl spending thousands of dollars probably aren't growing herbs and tomatoes like you and I.  It's a business write off for them I'm sure.   :-D  Time is money to those folks.  Their crop will likely pay off the cost of those expensive units rather quickly.   Kidding aside, those professional aeroponic units can run several thousands of dollars. 
  I called a local hydroponic specialty shop here and they wanted to sell me expensive equipment.  I told the guy, no joking aside, I AM really just growing herbs and tomatoes so I have to keep my cost down.  I can not afford to buy one of your units b/c herbs and tomatoes don't sell for much on the streets.   :-D

Offline ninapizza23

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2010, 11:58:46 PM »
Tran,
you are very sharp young man! Keep it up. I will post some pix of my tomatoes and basil ASAP.

Offline sear

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
  I called a local hydroponic specialty shop here and they wanted to sell me expensive equipment.  I told the guy, no joking aside, I AM really just growing herbs and tomatoes so I have to keep my cost down.  I can not afford to buy one of your units b/c herbs and tomatoes don't sell for much on the streets.   :-D

back in high school there were some kids selling some pretty expensive oregano under a different name  :-D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Sear, speaking of which my Ganji Oregano came in today and its ALL bud!  :-D

Nina, guess what? I built a hydroponic unit.   >:D  Pictures coming soon.

Here's an update on the tomato seedlings.  Just in the last 4 days or so, I noticed some of the leaves have some yellowing on them.  Not sure what this means.  Not enough nutrients in the potting soil?  Too much water?  too little water?  Should I be worried?  Will it just go away or get worse?

The seedlings have not been transplanted outside yet, but I'm still taking them out during the day for some sun time.  I'll transplant them in several weeks when they are bigger and the risk of chilly days is over.

Offline sear

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2010, 08:28:48 PM »
those are looking good Tran, heres a pic of my seedlings and one plant i bought a few weeks ago.