Author Topic: Evelyne Slomon's 2-hour emergency poolish  (Read 1040 times)

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
Re: Evelyne Slomon's 2-hour emergency poolish
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
the pizza looks great, how was the taste?was it over yeasty, or did the poolish give the dough some extra flavor.

I thought the taste was surprisingly good, not yeasty. It definitely wasn't as flavorful as my cold fermented doughs but when considering it was only made under 4 hours ago it was extremely good. Like I mentioned previously, opening was a pain and more time consuming.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
If it wasn't for the difficult stretch, I could see using this recipe on a somewhat regular basis.  I wonder if I would have used the caputo 00 called for, would that have made for an easier stretch?
Chris,

I believe that Evelyne had good reasons for her use of 60% hydration and 5% oil with the Caputo flour. That combination, along with her specific instructions, were perhaps calculated to produce dough with good extensibility. When you switched to the All Trumps flour, which has a much higher protein content and a considerably higher rated absorption value than the Caputo flour, you may have created a dough with reduced extensibility. If you had allowed your dough to ferment longer, I believe that you may well have ended up with a more extensible dough. Alternatively, if you increase the hydration value of your All Trumps dough for your next effort to, say, 63%, that might also result in a more extensible dough.

I also think that there may have been a couple of other reasons why your dough was overly elastic. Specifically, I noted that you did a bulk ferment of the dough and later divided it into two dough balls that were then subjected to another rise before using. That was a departure from what Evelyne instructed. As I understood Evelyne's instructions, she did not use a bulk rise. She did the division of the dough coming out of the mixer bowl. The divided dough balls could then be either refrigerated or allowed to ferment at room temperature for two hours before using. That two hours was important because it gave the dough balls more time to become softer and more amenable to opening to form skins. In your case, you might want to follow Evelyne's instructions next time. These changes can be implemented without changing anything else in what you previously did, or you can implement these changes along with the change in the formula hydration for the All Trumps flour as suggested above. Of course, the advantage of changing one variable at a time is that you are more likely to be able to determine what solved your problem (if it is, in fact, solved).

Peter

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »
As I understood Evelyne's instructions, she did not use a bulk rise. She did the division of the dough coming out of the mixer bowl. The divided dough balls could then be either refrigerated or allowed to ferment at room temperature for two hours before using. That two hours was important because it gave the dough balls more time to become softer and more amenable to opening to form skins.

Peter

I had to go back and reread and now realize the bulk rise was from earlier in this thread, in regards to another emergency dough "JerryMac" and not this recipe.  I will give this another try and start by omitting the bulk rise. Knowing that doing a bulk rise adds strength to the dough makes complete sense to the out come this time. Thanks Pete for the heads up! I can't wait to give it another try because I think its a winner, for a quick dough.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:18:59 PM by hodgey1 »

pizzapan