Author Topic: Eggs in dough - can I proof at room temperature?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Eggs in dough - can I proof at room temperature?
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »
Sorry to start another thread, but i'm afraid my question isn't going to get an answer in the other thread and I don't want to kill my wife with this dough.

I made a dough with eggs (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15203.msg160440.html#msg160440), and it has been sitting on the counter for 12 hours.  Would this be safe to eat, considering it has eggs and has been sitting at room temperature?

Thanks!   :chef:

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Eggs in dough - can I proof at room temperature?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
I have a sourdough pancake recipe with eggs that sits out overnight. Not had a problem. The biggest threat from eggs may be salmonella. If you don't cross-contaminate anything with the raw dough, cooking should kill the salmonella.

In most parts of the world, eggs are stored at room temperature. In the U.S., health regs require producers to wash the eggs; this may remove any pathogens from the outside of the egg, but it also removes a protective layer - necessitating  refrigeration. Still, for many years, wholesalers and retailers stored washed eggs at room temp.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional. If you have any doubts about the safety of anything, don't take the advice of strangers.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:39:35 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »
Bill,

Thanks!  I will not worry now!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »

Still, for many years, wholesalers and retailers stored washed eggs at room temp.

Bill,

I agree with you, that for many years wholesalers and retailers did let eggs at room temp.  At market not too many years ago, the farmers would sell fresh eggs, (even left in high heat) out all day long. Farmers told me it doesn't hurt to let eggs sit at room temperature. Nothing ever happened to anyone that I know of. 

Don't take my word though, CDNpielover, nothing is ever "written in stone".

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
at the farmer's markets around here, they also keep the eggs outside all day long.

i think there is a difference between eggs in a shell, and eggs that have been opened though.  I would expect the latter to be way more prone to spoilage.  that said, Bill's comments about the sourdough pancake recipe have convinced me that the dough will be OK.  But if I somehow die, I'll let you all know LOL.   :-D

pizzapan