Author Topic: Does some cheese burn more easily than others?  (Read 197 times)

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
Does some cheese burn more easily than others?
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
We're still pretty new on the whole pizza-making thing (only had our WFO for about 8 months), so our recipes seem to be changing quite a bit. I was thinking that our issue with the top cooking faster than the bottom was either due to the recipe we were using or my husband's novice cooking techniques, but now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the cheese we're using. Does some cheese cook/burn more easily than other cheeses? I'm using Kraft shredded cheese. (I tried using fresh mozzarella but it was too moist and made the pizza soggy.)

Any suggestions on a cheese that melts nicely without burning too quickly at high temps?

Thanks!

Offline derricktung

Re: Does some cheese burn more easily than others?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:41 AM »
I think even those folks who have had years of experience are still tweaking their recipes around toppings all the time. 

It will depend a lot on the temperature you're cooking at, what type of fire (even oven temps vs. hot woodfired temps closer to fire), time in the oven, and as you've noticed, the cheese you're using and it's moisture content.

I almost always use pre-shredded lower moisture mozz for pizzas coming from the oven (sicilians) and will only use fresh mozz when I can break 700 degrees+ in the oven.  Otherwise, as you've found, the cheese comes out very wet...

If you have access to a costco, I find that their package pre-shredded mozz is pretty decent actually, and has a good melt without being wet in the oven. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:27 AM »
Try cutting the fresh mozz balls in half and letting them drain on paper towels for a few hours. Mozzarella di bufala really resists browning well but is often very wet and may need additional time draining.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JD

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
Does some cheese cook/burn more easily than other cheeses? I'm using Kraft shredded cheese. (I tried using fresh mozzarella but it was too moist and made the pizza soggy.)

Part skim cheeses burn more than they brown, which is what I assume your Kraft pre-shredded cheese is. Whole milk mozz is what you want.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »
I didn't know that about the part-skim milk cheese. That would likely explain the overbrowning. It was weird, the toppings didn't overcook but the cheese did.

I'm definitely going to get whole-milk mozzarella and try the same recipe and workflow. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
I didn't know that about the part-skim milk cheese. That would likely explain the overbrowning. It was weird, the toppings didn't overcook but the cheese did.

I'm definitely going to get whole-milk mozzarella and try the same recipe and workflow. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks!

Where I live, it can be pretty hard to find whole milk mozz. Walmart has some in their Great Value brand, but I don't really care for it. I usually end up going to the deli section and paying an arm and a leg for it. THe only good thing about getting it at the deli is that I prefer slices over shreds, and they slice it for me. I like it between 1/16" and 1/8".
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »
Interesting. I did try slices last summer and didn't care for how the pizzas turned out. Then again, we had no idea what we were doing when we first started, so maybe it wasn't the slices I didn't like. I guess I'll have to try that again, too.

Offline pfhlad0

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:05:08 AM »
Just wanted to report that I tried the shredded Prima Gusto whole milk mozzarella from GFS over the weekend. I really liked the taste and texture of the cheese. And for $11.29 for a 5-pound bag, you can't go wrong on the price. I haven't tried Grande or Sorento so I can't compare it to those, but it was pretty darn good. The taste/texture, the fact that I didn't have to shred it myself, the price, and the availability of it makes it my go-to cheese going forward.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:26:35 AM »
When I use fresh mozzarella cheese, I drain it well, and pat it dry, then I like to peal it like an orange and place the pieces on the pizza. The pieces are fairly thin and excess moisture is easily evaporated off during baking.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor