Author Topic: New WFO  (Read 3985 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
New WFO
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:02:03 PM »
After months of waiting out weather and contractors (not to mention a week of curing), I finally have my Primavera 70 up and running. Last night I made my first pies, and I am ecstatic about the whole experience. I think I rushed the oven temp, and it is going to take some practice to manage the fire correctly - but overall I was very pleased with the pies. I was a bit nervous and probably could have let them cook more before pulling them. The dough was a standard VPN recipe with Caputo 00 and IDY.

The marble landing came out of a brownstone in Beacon Hill - it is probably over 100 years old (used as a threshold).

John

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New WFO
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
Dellavecchia,

Nice set up.  Did you buy it pre-made or did you put the kit together yourself??

Tony

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
< ~ ~ ~ Jealous

Congratulations!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
Very nice looking oven and pizza.  The more of these I see, the more I want one.  :-D

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Thanks Tony, Ronzo and Tranman. I bought the oven fully finished, but unpainted. The stand was made by a local metal worker - with design inspiration from thezaman's setup and an Uno Forno mobile oven.

Dellavecchia,

Nice set up.  Did you buy it pre-made or did you put the kit together yourself??

Tony

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
Dellavecchia, you should put the wood on the side, because in the back you loose allot of heat...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
Many thanks for the guidance. I was wondering about that - as the temperature dropped rapidly after the first pizza and I could not figure out why.

Dellavecchia, you should put the wood on the side, because in the back you loose allot of heat...

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »
does the oven come with a door ? my oven is a small oven also, so i leave the door half way closed so i dont loose too much heat and the fire keeps going... and be sure you keep that fire HIGH !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tempemom

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:41 AM »
Congratulations!  I been using my Primavera 60 for about a month now and am having so much fun making pizzas!  Keep us posted on your pizza making! 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »
ENJOY  Your  TOY !!
I remember my first pies were so exciting! Those are some big chunks off Mozz.!
Don't forget to use that residual heat!
Did you get an infrared thermometer so you can see what going on temp. wise inside the oven. Its fun to see Hearth (floor) temp as opposed to the dome. and how the pies cook at different temps. and the time it takes Did you time a pizza? thats also cool when you get to 70- 90  seconds its still amazes me! and all who don't believe.
Have fun and good luck
John
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:05:22 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Della,  wheres your oven at,  there's starting to be a handful of them up heree in the northeast.  Ditto on the fire on the side.  -marc

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »
This is a cool little oven.  It is 28" diameter right.  What is the inside dome height? 

I like the frame and landing as well!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:57:29 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice and compliments!

Yes, the mozz is too big. I used that size to control browning in my home oven and did not realize it might not be so ideal for the WFO. I was able to get the first pizza out at 96 seconds, but the next two took longer. I am going to fire the oven longer and push the wood to the side - and then keep a larger flame going while cooking. I think I will achieve even better results.

I have an infrared - I thought the price of the oven/stand was steep, but then I had to buy 4 different oven utensils (rake, brush, peels), an expensive thermometer, a cover, a marble landing. And that is not counting the contracting to extend my patio out for a pizza making area. Things start to add up!

The cooking floor of the oven is 28" and the dome height is 13.5". I am located in Natick, MA - just outside of Boston.

ENJOY  Your  TOY !!
I remember my first pies were so exciting! Those are some big chunks off Mozz.!
Don't forget to use that residual heat!
Did you get an infrared thermometer so you can see what going on temp. wise inside the oven. Its fun to see Hearth (floor) temp as opposed to the dome. and how the pies cook at different temps. and the time it takes Did you time a pizza? thats also cool when you get to 70- 90  seconds its still amazes me! and all who don't believe.
Have fun and good luck
John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »
compliments on the set up, that stand makes your oven look like a mini uno forno.  if i would have seen that setup i would have designed  mine to match it. a long time primevera owner told me the oven will improve after 15 to 20 sessions , and i found it to be true. they are really nice ovens.
 when you push your fire over make sure you give yourself a straight line in and out of the oven if not the peel gets stuck on the side of the opening causing oblong pies. oblong pies are unappetizing .

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
I grew up in Franklin Ma.! and yes you gotta get the toys, for the toys  :-D. I also like your set up!  You did not mention the oliera I have an nice small olive oil can for you and your set up. I posed it in equipment .
I had to get a new leather for the motorcycle I just got (OUCH)
Retail thearapy  right  ???
Kepp the pies and pics coming!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »
i have found that with the little oven . it is easier to control the heat if you have your wood cut into smaller pieces. i find that 800 to 850 degree floor is the easiest to manage the bottom bake and the amount of time the pie can sit untouched to get the dough Set before you turn it.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 06:43:54 AM »
Many thanks for the advice! Tomorrow I am going to do another session, and I feel like I have a much better angle on the fire management.

i have found that with the little oven . it is easier to control the heat if you have your wood cut into smaller pieces. i find that 800 to 850 degree floor is the easiest to manage the bottom bake and the amount of time the pie can sit untouched to get the dough Set before you turn it.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »
Dellavecchia: congratulations on the new oven! I second the voices of others here....that stand and the marble landing is very good looking, as well as very functional.

I third the wood on the side. And it's important to make sure you have not only wood burning, but a healthy amount of hot embers going as well.

Looks like it's going to be a great summer of pizza making for you and yours.....fun!

Good luck and keep posting pics of the progress.  :)

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »
Very nice job!

There is another option for the placement of the wood that you may want to try: a U-shaped configuration with fire at both sides and at the back. I've tried it from time to time with great results, but it is a lot easier to over-bake if you're not careful.

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
Great lookin' set up.
How was the shipping from Forno Bravo?

pizzapan