Author Topic: My first Go with NYC Style ... (mega pics)  (Read 2088 times)

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
My first Go with NYC Style ... (mega pics)
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
My first true NYC style pie. I read the Lehmans NY style thread and with the calculator I came up with a formula to fit my means and this is what it read. I made it for 2 dough ball for approx. 12" each. KASL flour hand kneaded.

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
CY (1.3%):
Salt (01.0%):
Oil (1%):
Total (166.3%):
Single Ball:
385.61 g  |  13.6 oz | 0.85 lbs
242.93 g  |  8.57 oz | 0.54 lbs
5.01 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs |
3.86 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.13 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
3.86 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.86 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
641.26 g | 22.62 oz | 1.41 lbs | TF = 0.1
320.63 g | 11.31 oz | 0.71 lbs

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:37:05 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
Re: My first Go with NYC Style ... (mega pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
After I kneaded the dough I used my thermapen to check temp. and it was at exactly 80 degrees. I then partially pressed the dough ball down to a disk form (pete-zza's method) for quick cool, evoo'd and placed in ziplock for one hour with bag open, then closed for a 24 hour rest. I am using what is left from the Bufula cheese I bought from Jimmy's in Dallas with some kraft mozz. I also stopped by Penzey's spices on Preston and LBJ yesterday and picked up the pizza seasoning. One truly fantastic store.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:41:39 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
The Margherita pepperoni I also bought from Jimmy's. I only bought one stick and it was around the $3.50 range, it's $7.00 per pound.  After the dough rested (in bag) for 2 hours I took it out and let sit until prep was done. The sausage is the hot from Jimmy's.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:44:58 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
Almost forgot to take entrance to the oven pic.  Preheated the Mario Batali for 1 1/2 hours ahead of time at 550 and baked for 6 minutes and 20 seconds.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:46:50 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
Let the pizza rest for a few minutes and then sliced. The pie was supposed to be 12" all around but turned out to be 12" x 11"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:48:07 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
This was by far, over the hundreds of pizza's I have ever made, the absolute best. The crust was amazing. It had a nice pull to it. Sorta like a tender tug, not crunchy nor too bready, though the rim of the crust was. I loved it. The penzey's spice is serious. It added the extra zest needed and also the margherita pepperoni is top notch in my book. I have yet to try a better pepperoni.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:52:09 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline beast master

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
What a great looking pizza. How did it taste?

I love Penzey's as well. I get all my spiced from them.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »
J. Michael,

You are off to a very good start. I'm glad you liked the Lehmann dough recipe. With practice, your pizzas will only get better. Of course, it helps to have quality ingredients and good sources, like Jimmy's.

Can you tell me how you measured out the fresh yeast?  Also, can you tell us what the "Mario Batali" is? I know that Mario has marketed a lot of pizza related products under his name but I don't recall what product he has been selling for baking pizzas.

Peter

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »
Peter

I use the Mario Batali cast iron pizza pan

I have had it for a few years and it is great for pizza's and bread's.

The yeast, I weighed on my Salter digital scale. The package is 17 grams and I divided it up and put the rest back into the fridge. I also made another batch of dough immediately after this batch and I plan on using it in a few minutes. Hopefully similar results will exist.
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
Nice work. But if you've made 100s of pies, then I'm not surprised. Keep it up!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
How, exactly, do you utilize the pan? Is it preheated and cooked in the oven, and if so where? Is it par paked on the pan on top of the stove? Please elaborate.

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »
How, exactly, do you utilize the pan? Is it preheated and cooked in the oven, and if so where? Is it par paked on the pan on top of the stove? Please elaborate.

I preheat the pan in the oven at 550 for roughly an hour and a half, sometimes longer. As soon as I make the pie I slide it on top of the pan using a wooden cutting board topped with some semolina. I have prebaked skins before, but only when preheating at a shorter time. For this one I just slid it on. It retains heat so well I never have to rotate the pizza. I just let it go for about 6 minutes.
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
When using that pan,where in the oven is it mounted on the rack?Where do you cook the pie,in the middle or the bottom rack? And do you turn the broiler on or leave it off when you slide the pizza on there when its up to temps?

Thanks.
 :)
-Bill

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 07:50:50 PM »
I place it on the very bottom rack. Then pre-heat at max, which is approx. 525 for roughly 1 1/2 hours sometimes longer, no broiler. I have owned several stones and all of them have cracked on me. I bought 1 particular stone from a shop in the Allen Outlet mall and it broke on me, then they replaced it with another of the same, that cracked. I took it back, got store credit, and bought the Mario Batali pizza pan. Back then it was around the $50 range. I have seen the price increase, but it is worth it. I bake all of my bread on it as well. Fantastic pan for what I use it for.
LaValle 4 Bean

pizzapan