Author Topic: bar pizza? (eg. Lynwood Cafe)  (Read 12360 times)

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• ohaipizza OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM OM NOM NOM
bar pizza? (eg. Lynwood Cafe)
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »
This type of pizza is raved about by many people around Randolf, MA, yet it has gone very much unnoticed everywhere else.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles-slideshow.html#show-85728
http://www.hiddenboston.com/Lynwood.html

Does anyone have a recipe to accurately duplicate this "bar pizza?"
"I looked at the serving size: two slices. Who the hell eats two slices? I eat pizza by the pie! Two pies is a serving size!!"

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: bar pizza? (eg. Lynwood Cafe)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
I have a feeling scott r has it figured out.  I have had it before,  but its far from my favorite style.  I would say the dough would be very much like a chicago thin crust.  Cheese heavy on the cheddar. -marc

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »
It would be great to see a recipe and some tips about making it. There's virtually no information about making this style anywhere on the internet.

Paging scott_r to the general pizza making section of the forum...
"I looked at the serving size: two slices. Who the hell eats two slices? I eat pizza by the pie! Two pies is a serving size!!"

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:57 PM »
Looks like greek style to me, not my fav either. The place I work at one of the workers calls it "welfare pizza" because its really cheap and it gets you full.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »
Welfare pizza  :-D lol.

They lost me at canned mushrooms.  :-X ??? The rest of it sounds good though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:44:30 PM by Jackie Tran »

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:39:59 PM »
It does sound somewhat "cheap," but there are so many positive reviews that I'm convinced there is something special about it.
Surely people wouldn't stand in line for an hour in a bad neighborhood for mediocre pizza, right?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:03:20 AM »
Randolf isn't that bad, or atleast I don't think it is. If you were from MA you would understand why "greek" style isn't that great and you would get the welfare joke.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:01 AM »
I have never been to Lynwood Cafe but if their pizza is a Greek Style “bar pizza”,  in my opinion they are great pizza.  So tender, crispy on the bottom, and a nice light center. The toasted cheese on the edges is delicious. Steve (Ev) has made this Greek Style for me different times and each time the pizza was great.  This is where Steve made a Greek Style. Reply #88. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg97563.html#msg97563  He used a blend of mozzarella and mild white cheddar, and the mild white cheddar was the predominate cheese.  He also tried out formulas for Greek Style under the PQ Think Tank http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5022&p=29426&hilit=#p29426
and also the formula at Reply #93 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg97581.html#msg97581

These are some of the pictures of the Greek style "bar pizza" that were on my camera,  from another Greek pizza he made for me to taste.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:52:31 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
I made this pizza the other night using the recipe Steve used (from Pete-zza). It was really good. I didn't have a 14" anodized aluminum cutter pan, so I used a perforated 16" anodized aluminum pan instead (on top of a stone, as per the directions). It still turned out good, but I would have gotten a more crispy/fried texture if I used a solid pan.

Overall, this pizza is a keeper. I'll make this recipe again when I have the right pan.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »
looking at the photos in the first link, i have to say that those pies look nothing like greek bar pizza.  greek bar pizza has a relatively thicker, pan-fried crust, but the pies in the first link appear to have a very thin crust.  I would say they are closer to a chicago thin pie.   ???

Offline kforbes

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just joined the forum.  I grew up in Randolph and now live in Dallas.  I have a wood fired pizza oven on my patio and am pretty serious about pizza.

Lynwood is great pizza though there are several others in the area that are very similar.  Lynwood once was listed in the Guiness Book for making selling the most pizzas in one night.  That's pretty impressive because it is located in a converted home.  You can go up the back stairs to pick up the pizza or pick it up at the bar.  It's one of those family run joints that shuts down for two weeks in the summer when they go on vacation.

My favorite pizza in the area is a place called Town Spa in Sharon MA.  It's almost identical to Lynwood but I would give it a slight edge.

The photos above are much thicker than Lynwood.  The char on the edge is pretty much spot on.  The pan looks similar but the ones they use are thicker gauge metal.  They are cooked in a regular gas deck oven.  I've seen them make the pizzas and they press the dough into the pan.  It's not rolled out at all and no extra flour is used to handle the dough.  There is virtually no corcione on the pie.  The bottom of the crust is much darker.  They oil the pans before they press the dough but I'm not sure what type of oil.  That may account for the darker bottom.  I think they probably ferment the dough for a long time which would also account for a darker crust than the pictures above.

I don't think you can classify this style pizza as Greek or anything else.  It's pretty much only found in Southeastern Massachusetts.  The only resemblance to Chicago style is that it's cooked in a pan.  The pies are only one size, I think closer to 12" than 14".  I generally prefer larger pizzas but these are good in that size because of the small crust and great char on the edge.  I was wondering what the other cheese was and I think white cheddar may be a good possibility.  It looks white like mozzerella when they dress the pizza but there's definitely a sharper cheese in the blend.

Most people order a bunch of these pizza and the tradition is for one topping on each.  The only exception to this is the pepper and onion.  The toppings are cut really small around 3/8 inch diameter which makes sense for a small pie.  Last time I was back there a baked bean pizza was very popular.  I refused to try it but for some reason people like it.

You can't really put it into any one category of pizza.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:40:38 PM by kforbes »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
My vote goes toward a cracker style crust as shown No way its greek I  grew up on Greek style which is much thicker. This looks very close to the Kinchleys Tavern and Nellies that sell locally, cracker quick, light sauce and some cheddar as mentioned. both bar pizza places and are allways very crowded I will take a pic next time if I ever go again? Used to be my favorite and voted right up there in the area every year google kinchleys tavern
Mahwah NJ and look at the crust I would say very similar. I eat a whole Large Myself very easily it did in in 10 bites on a bet one time and won! ne slice per bite thats how thin it is  :P
 some quotes below
You can't go wrong with any selection here....
5 star rating by gomez620 at Citysearch.com 11/30/2009
Kinchley's pizza is the best thin crust pizza around. Honestly, I've never tried anything there I didn't like. They have a great selection of toppings for their pizzas, excellent salads, great sand... Read full review
You can't go wrong with any selection here....
5 star rating by gomez620 at Citysearch.com 11/29/2009
Kinchley's pizza is the best thin crust pizza around. Honestly, I've never tried anything there I didn't like. They have a great selection of toppings for their pizzas, excellent salads, great sand... Read full review
Good food, decent price, somewhat unique....worth at least a try
4 star rating by FlyingPigNJ at Citysearch.com 12/2/2008
This isn't your typical thin crust pizza. The thin crust tastes more like crackers. Those of us around here have come to call it Kinchley's rather than pizza. It won't please everyone, but it sure doe... Read full review

John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:01:36 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline ellsbells

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
The Lynwood is good, and the Town Spa is also good, but the Alumni (Hancock St in Quincy)is the best.  I have been looking for a bar pizza recipe for years and have just not found one.  I have moved away and do not have access to the "bar pizza" anylonger and would LOVE to make it at home for the family!!!!  Help, if anyone knows a good recipe!   ;D

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Here is my humble offering.     http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12809.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Any of the thin and crispy recipes will work with slight modifications to taste. If you can get your hands on some Semolina I suggest using it.
Don

The Lynwood is good, and the Town Spa is also good, but the Alumni (Hancock St in Quincy)is the best.  I have been looking for a bar pizza recipe for years and have just not found one.  I have moved away and do not have access to the "bar pizza" anylonger and would LOVE to make it at home for the family!!!!  Help, if anyone knows a good recipe!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:54:17 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline ellsbells

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
Thank you. I am going to try it on the family this week  :chef:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:29:53 PM by ellsbells »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
guys, lynwood is not thin and crispy dough recipe at all.  The lynwood happens to be my favorite of all the south shore bar/greek pizza places, although like many around here I prefer other styles of pizza.  Its  not in a bad area at all.  My wife is from the south shore, and has converted me to crave it once in a while.   It uses a standard 62 ish hydration NY dough recipe with a little oil and sugar.   Once it goes through an initial bulk rise the dough is left to rise a second time in the pan before baking.   It is fairly thin, but its not a low hydration dough.  Normas pics look about right as far as thickness goes....but some places are thinner.  We have a whole thread here dedicated to this pizza, with excellent recipes and comments... Its the greek pizza thread.  The only difference between south shore greek pizza (called bar pizza by the locals) and typical boston/new england greek pizza is that it is only served in small 10 or 12 inch pies and the pan is well oiled.  

Some things common to all south shore bar pizza are...

500 ish oven temp
mild white cheddar cheese, almost all places use the formost brand (1950).    
crunchy bottom due to the oiled pan
really greasy due to the high fat cheddar (sometimes blended with a little mozzarella or provolone or both)
Cheese is brought right to the edge of the pan which creates an amazing charred cheese flavor and crispy edge texture.
No pizza boxes,  take out pizzas are put on a plate and covered with a paper bag.  

Some things particular to Lynwood:

slight hint of rosemary in the sauce
a combination of high quality tomatoes (they use 6 in 1, or tomato magic combined with full red)
a butter flavored pan release spray instead of oil (or maybe combined with oil)  

Other places of note making the same pizza:

Cape Cod Cafe
Christo's
Town Spa
Damiens pub
Poopsies
The Great American Pub

P.S.  Ed Levine is a great guy, but I can assure you there is not a single southern new england (bar pizzeria) using mozzarella cheese unless its just a touch of it with mostly white cheddar.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:25:03 AM by scott r »

buceriasdon

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
Scott, And  I have read elsewhere on the the net that Lywood Cafe pizza is a thin crust. This whole Greek bar room definition gets quite confusing.
Don

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »
It is confusing!   I definitely love all the input here, so please never hold back on your posts!   I am surrounded with this pizza daily because I live right in the epicenter now, so I get defensive.     By the way, your thin and crispy pizza is beautiful, and actually a type of pizza I prefer to bar pizza!  I grew up with a pizza king spinoff near my house and its still one that I frequent  whenever I visit my mother.   Not sure how or why a chicago/indiana style pizzeria made its way to pittsburgh where I was raised, but it did.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:30:02 AM by scott r »

Offline AndrewInMass

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
I've never been able to replicate Town Spa (which is in Stoughton, not Sharon by the way). I would guess it's very similar to the Greek-style in this forum, but may use less yeast (just a guess as it's not as thick but is still moist/flexible with a crisp bottom). I've also heard they (Lynwood and Town Spa) both use a bit of milk in the dough. However they do it, it's always been my favorite. I grew up on Town Spa and miss the original location.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Wow, you are bringing back forgotten memories.   YES I almost forgot there is milk in the lynwood dough...oops.     I have heard they replace about 1/3 of the water in the recipe with milk.   Good call!