Author Topic: BSO does Neapolitan...  (Read 8256 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
BSO does Neapolitan...
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
So I had my first run at the WFO today. I would say it went okay, not the greatest but for my first try not bad. On a scale from 1-10 I say a 6.5ish, I am really hard on myself. The floor temp was ~910F, the pizzas were in for 70 seconds +/- a few seconds. I was running in and out of my house for every pizza so it was annoying. I can't wait till the marble gets in so I can just stay outside. The worst thing was that it was already hot today(90F) plus standing in front of an oven made it so much worse, I think I lost couple pounds in sweat from all the running.

I would have liked the dough to have been a little bit more extensible than it was. You can also see a couple brown spots here and there on the cheese. I cut the mozzarella and strained it for a while, when I started making pizza the mozzarella was a little dry so I had to dip it back in the water but that didn't help. I was using the Calabro mozzarella, I wasn't really impressed with it there was no relative taste to it. It might have been because they strained little to much because I used a ball right out of the water for the 4 cheese pizza and it tasted better. Calabro's ricotta is pretty good, better than any other I have tried, I was eating big spoon fulls before I topped it on the pizza. The last pizza was the best for me I wish I had powdered sugar to put on top but it was still good like that.

Sorry for the bad pic quality I was using my Iphone.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: BSO does Neapolitan...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »
Bso congrats on the oven and the first bake. I would say you did a fantastic job the first time around. Sure you can improve but to have results like that first time I imagine is no easy feat.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
BrickStoneOven,

Those pies look great to me.  :)  I am glad you got to try your new oven.  Your hard work paid off. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
One thing I did find weird was that I got almost no rise while it was fermenting. Only in the last hour did I get some rise, in that last hour I got more rise than in the first 23hr.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »
BSO, what recipe or formulation did you use? 

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:11:20 AM »
BSO CONGRATS !! its a great feeling wen we use the WFO the first time, a mix of fear and excitement...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
Those pies look great! You got some nice leoparding and crumb. I, too, would like to see your formulations.

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

It really is a mix of fear and excitement. Getting a fire started is one of the things I need to work on. The handling isn't really that hard even when they are cooking in 70 seconds. I think I could have had two in there at the same time if I had my table, you could fit three but it would really hard to turn. Its more of the actual fire management that is tricky.

Offline sear

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

It really is a mix of fear and excitement. Getting a fire started is one of the things I need to work on. The handling isn't really that hard even when they are cooking in 70 seconds. I think I could have had two in there at the same time if I had my table, you could fit three but it would really hard to turn. Its more of the actual fire management that is tricky.

ive been curious about people starting fires in their WFO's, every video ive seen they are sticking little twigs in there and paper  etc ... doesnt anyone use a chimney starter with hardwood lump charcoal ?
like what is used for BBQ's.  just seems to me it would be much easier to start like this

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »
I used kindling to start it but I wasn't working that great because it was "green". I had thin pieces of the lumber I got that started easier than the kindling did.

Offline sear

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
i cant see a better way then doing like this.

Online shuboyje

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »
That would be a major waste of time.  Charcoal take a while to start like that and would do nearly nothing to get you up to temperature in a brick oven.  Cut the wood small wrist thick at the biggest.  Put two piece on the oven floor perpendicular to the door about 18" apart.  Then put two on top of those parallel to the door forming a square.  Alternate direction again and for each additional layer until you hit the roof but put three or four pieces per layer from the third course on.  Put paper under it and light.  It will be roaring in minutes.
-Jeff

Offline sear

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:55 PM »
That would be a major waste of time.  Charcoal take a while to start like that and would do nearly nothing to get you up to temperature in a brick oven.  Cut the wood small wrist thick at the biggest.  Put two piece on the oven floor perpendicular to the door about 18" apart.  Then put two on top of those parallel to the door forming a square.  Alternate direction again and for each additional layer until you hit the roof but put three or four pieces per layer from the third course on.  Put paper under it and light.  It will be roaring in minutes.

im not suggesting this is the way to heat the oven. it takes 5-10 minutes to have this chimney full of hot coal. dump it in the oven and put wood on top .  you wouldnt have to fumble around with finding/cutting wood to get a little fire started

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
I am going to try a "top down" burn. Here is a guy from FB showing how he does it .

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »
my way is similar to the FB video...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »
I use a cactus burner:

Sometimes I use big words that I donít fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis. - @itjenlawrence

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
I use a cactus burner:

There are a bunch of people on FB that use one of those.

Have you tried "Fatwood" before, it sounds like it works good the only thing is I'm worried the resin might have some effect on the stone and give some adverse flavors.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
BSO,

I use fatwood all the time in my indoor fireplaces. I use the cactus burner for my WFO, BBQ pit, and grill. At 500,000 BTU it gets the job done immediately. I guess I'd use it for the indoor fireplaces too, but that's probably a bad idea  >:D
Sometimes I use big words that I donít fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis. - @itjenlawrence

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
Would the resin have any effect on anything though? I watched a video of it burning and it was giving off a lot of black smoke.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Would the resin have any effect on anything though? I watched a video of it burning and it was giving off a lot of black smoke.

It does give off a lot of resin and some smoke, but when I sweep out the ashes, there is no residue. I suspect the residue and any associated odors would be burned-off by the time the oven reaches WFO temps.

Online shuboyje

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
Try the top down, but with your dome height I'm not sure you'll have much luck.  The Pompei ovens have high domes so the wood doesn't stack to the ceiling and there is room for air to fuel a top down fire AND smoke above it.  I have found the method doesn't work well in my low dome oven because at 13" in the center of the dome, my wood is stacked to the roof.  With the fire on top the smoke and air fight each other. 

im not suggesting this is the way to heat the oven. it takes 5-10 minutes to have this chimney full of hot coal. dump it in the oven and put wood on top .  you wouldnt have to fumble around with finding/cutting wood to get a little fire started

I'm not trying to come across wrong here, sorry if I did.  There is a slight learning curve to lighting a brick oven, but once you fire it a few times it is easy as pie(this might be the wrong site for that saying, lol).  You aren't adding extra work cutting wood just to get the fire going as if it is kindling.  You don't ever want to burn wood bigger then that in a brick oven IMHO.  You want a fast hot fire with lots of open flame licking the dome.  You'll have plenty of coals eventually to heat the floor and start the additional wood...it's getting the heat to the dome that is key.  Big chunks of wood don't have as much surface area and don't stack as nicely which giving lots of room  for air flow.  Not only do they not burn as fast, but as a result they don't burn down to coals you want to spread over your floor fast enough.  They just through it out of whack all around IMHO. 

Thats where I was getting saying the charcoal will do little to heat the oven.  You are adding an extra step and it doesn't even help heat the oven.  In the method I mentioned everything you burn is adding heat to the oven and there is no additional steps of materials or labor.   
-Jeff

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:29 PM »
Pics of today's pizza.

You can see that the Mozz/Cotta pizza is not that big, I forgot to stretch it when I slide it onto the peel. The floor temp was ~900F +/- 10F, They took about a minute or so like before.

The firing was a little easier this time, I put two pretty big pieces on the bottom then 4 med size for the next two rows and 2 rows of smaller wood. It started easier this way then the last time I did it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:33:14 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
David,  looks like a better round 2.  Thats great work for your first couple times and I see 2 pies in there at once no less.  I still rarely do that,  it is a challenge at those speeds.  Glad to see you are making progress.  How are they tasting?  -marc

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
Also,  is that soot on the ceiling that I see above the two pizzas?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
Thanks Marc. They taste alright for now, not really where I would like them to be. I'm not getting to much of the starter flavor in the dough I would like a little more. There was VERY little soot on the top corner maybe the size of a melon, it's not that whole side thought like it looks like in the picture. I was taking it with my Iphone so it didn't come out that great. I put the pizzas in like 5 minutes after that fire picture.

pizzapan