Author Topic: Pizza Anarchy  (Read 134586 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
I had a house full of teenagers last night so I couldn't make any crazy pies.  I did a margherita , a pepperoni, 2 Italian sausage with veges, a muffaletta (with celery!) , and a pit pie.  The last pic is of the crumb, the crust was just the way I like it, and the wife said best ever.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:47:11 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »
Hey on the pickling seasoning--  I looked at mine and it has some pea size peppercorns or something in it.  Do you grind it or does your brand not have the large size pieces ?   Nice work on the zza. It looks like the  yeast had a field day. ;D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
You are right, I just googled and could find nothing similar.  If I remember correctly, this was salt, dill, garlic, and cream of tartar in a powder form, not what I see online.  I bought it on close out for 10 cents in a vacuum bag and put it in an empty spice shaker so I can not say exactly what it is.

In the crust, notability when reheated today, are the garlic and dill tones.  I normally give the dogs my pizza bones (crust), but I ate them all on this batch.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
I searched and found another bag.  It is Ball "capture freshness" kosher dill pickle mix.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
I have nephews (8 and 9) coming over tonight and they are pizzarian, i.e. they won't eat anything but cheese pizza, macaroni and cheese, and yogurt.  So I am making them cheese pizza in the house oven (I have a peppersteak dish cooking in the WFO right now).  I made the dough the same as usual less any spices, but noticed a package of dried french onion soup when I got the yeast out of the spice cabinet, so I dumped that in for giggles.  It sure does smell good as it rises though....

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Success!  The squids ate it like it was a Totinos, and I ate some too.  The onion note in the dough was perfect!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
Tonight's pizza is for the monthly challenge.  I am making a beef fajita with enchilada sauce on tortilla dough.  First is the fajita:  I marinated it with a dry rub that contains salt, pepper, MSG, and papain for 20 hours in the fridge.

Next I browned it over mesquite charcoal, then put it in the oven to cook at around 250 for 3 or 4 hours.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »
And here are the raw ingredients for the enchilada sauce (clockwise from the Roma tomatoes, garlic in the center):
Ancho peppers
Arbol peppers
Clove
Mexican oregano (coarse pepper above)
Hungarian paprika
Comino
Cumin
Sea salt
Brown sugar
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:43:05 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
After seeding and rinsing the peppers, I decided to add a chopped white onion.  I threw it all into a big skillet and browned everything but the powdered spices at high heat for about 5 minutes.  Then I added about 4 cups of water and set it to simmer for an hour or 3 and added the spices.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »
Reducing, and I have just been informed that my blender met an untimely death via spoon whilst my oldest made a smoothie.  Time to visit the neighbor.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
It took less time than I thought it would to cook down, and 5 minutes in the blender worked to beat it into submission.  It still was not quite "right", so I hit it with a half tablespoon of nutmeg and blended for a couple more minutes.  Bingo!  It is exactly the taste I was looking for from a trip to Reynosa a few years ago.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
I mixed the dough exactly as given on the bag, but had to add 25% more water to get a workable dough.  I will let it rest while the meat finishes and I heat the oven, then tighten it up with bench flour.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
The meat is done after a 3ish hour cook at 250, and it is marvelous.  Tender, flavorful, and with just enough crust to make it toothsome.  The dough has risen a little bit, the oven is on, and I plan on cooking pies within the hour.  I will use a mixture of panela and quesedilla cheese, chopped thin and fine.  I have sliced onions and red bell to put on too, but the sauce is spicy enough that I will leave off the japs.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
Don't change a thing, and stop reading about pizza or you'll just get screwed up. :-)
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:19 PM »
Damnit!@  I burned the first one screwing with the second one!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
They may be a bit ugly, but neither one lasted for more than 2 minutes under the onslaught of the family and friends.

The dough was very dense, but thoroughly cooked, kind of like a tortilla (duh).

If i do this flour again, I will spike it with yeast and give it a couple days to grow.  It did have a good flavor and feel, but it is much denser than I normally prefer.  Note that it was flour to oven in less than an hour.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »
Tscarborough,

Your pizzas looks mouth-watering delicious.  ;D  You choices of toppings really put you pie over the top in my opinion. Wish I could have tasted a slice. Great job!

Norma

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »
I want to party with you.

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
All I have to say is that I spent an hour or 2 reading this board tonight and suffered from a Pizza Emergency.  I had a couple of dough balls left over, some sauce, etc. and about 8:30 had to make pizza. Pics tomorrow, but the pepperoni and japs w/ black olives came out very well for a one hour throwdown.  Not only did I solve the immediate pizza crisis, but I have lunch for tomorrow.  Of course I did it differently than I ever have before, but will probably do it similarly again.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
Not only did I solve the immediate pizza crisis, but I have lunch for tomorrow. 

I'm on the same page with you there. My wife has been out of town with the boys, and I've been eating leftovers from Sunday all week.

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
'Dats what I'm talking about!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
As I sit here at work eating the pizza I made last night, I have to say that if nothing else this tortilla dough does microwave well.

It also opens up nicely, and does not absorb the sauce which is good because I like a lot.  For these I used Panela and Quesadilla cheese chopped fine with chopped black olives, minced garlic, and diced dried green onions mixed in.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
 Other than that, I just topped with jalapenos and pepperoni.  I burned them again.  I am spoiled by the WFO where I can constantly adjust them.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
I had a half bag of KA whole wheat flour I wanted to get rid of, so I used it last night.

2 cups KAWW
2 cups KABF
1 cup semolina
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1 package of the Flieshman's pizza yeast packs in a cup of warm water along with a teaspoon of brown sugar, proofed for 10 minutes.
I added around 3 cups more of water.

I made 2 batches of that, let them double covered on the bench (about an hour at 80 degrees), then pounded them  down for around 8 folds each and balled them, cupped them and let them work in the refrigerator for about 5 hours.  I let them rise on the bench for another 2 hours before using them.

I burned a very long, hot fire in the oven, about 4 hours as opposed to the usual 2.  It was just too hot outside(100+) to actually work in front of the oven, so I just kept throwing wood on it until the air cooled off a bit.  It was over 1000 degrees on all walls and the floor was 900+ when I cleaned it out and prepped it for pizza.  I let it cool down a little bit to get close to my sweet spot of 800ish degrees on the walls and around 700 on the floor.

I made a margharita first, but the oven was still too hot, not very good, then an Italian sausage, onion, red pepper and hatch chili pie (I ended up making three of these, they were so good).  A pepperoni for the kids, a pit pie for the neighbor, and for myself a jalapeno, hatch chili, onion, and red pepper pie.  The wife wanted an Italian sausage, spinach, and onion, and that came out well.

So there you have it, nothing strange, just good pies.  The whole wheat crust was pretty good, actually.

pizzapan