Author Topic: Pizza made on Gas Grill w/success (pics)  (Read 3758 times)

Offline petef

Pizza made on Gas Grill w/success (pics)
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
After much experimentation over the past year, I finally had some good results cooking pizza outside on the gas grill. My technique basically involves a Gas Grill w/unglazed quarry tiles and a cast iron frying pan which serves to intensify the heat on the topside of the pie.

* Start with a 6 ounce dough ball formed into a 9 inch diameter pie.

* Place frying pan upside-down on tiles and preheat for about 20 to 30 minutes until the tiles are within 470-510 Deg. F., and frying pan is within 350-450 Deg. F. Use an Infrared thermometer to monitor the tiles and the frying pan. Measure each tile to ensue each is within range. Adjust the gas burners as necessary. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A THERMAL GLOVE TO HANDLE THE HOT FRY PAN!!!

* Use a cornmeal coated peel to transfer dough onto tiles and bake for 4 minutes covered with fry pan cover. At 4 minutes the bottom should be well browned but not blackened.

* Remove cooked dough from grill and place onto pizza pan. Apply sauce and grated cheese to the
browned side of par-baked dough.

* Transfer pie from pizza pan to tiles and bake for about 5 minutes covered with fry pan. Check the bottom and cook just until the bottom begins to burn. Remove from grill.

See pics below for results...

Offline StrayBullet

Re: Pizza made on Gas Grill w/success (pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »
I was able to turn this out tonite on the grill; detailed the process in the Newbie section :)

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:01:33 AM »
I was able to turn this out tonite on the grill; detailed the process in the Newbie section :)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11400.0.html
(relpy#7)

I see your technique is to super heat the grill and stone and then shut off the bottom burner to avoid burning the bottom of the pie. So your grill must be good at holding in the heat w/rotisserie burning on.

My grill won't hold the heat and getting the top side of the pie to cook is a constant problem. Covering the pie with the hot cast iron pan helps a lot to cook the top side, but par baking the top side is what really made the biggest difference and led to my success. What's unique about par-baking is the way the bottom comes out in the final product. The bottom is kind of bubbly instead of the usual flat surface. Bubbly is an advantage because you can cook it longer without the entire bottom surface going black. Eating the bubbly bottom style is good too and adds a new dimension for a grilled pizza.

---pete---
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:07:09 AM by petef »

Offline Grilled Pizza

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:44:23 AM »
All the pictures look great.  When grilling pizza you want to put the cheese on first.  This way you can have the dough done at the time the cheese is melted.

When grilling pizza I always cook the pizza with all the cheese, toppings and sauce together.  This will make a nice soft dough with a crispy bottom.  Your dough cannot be too hydrated.  You might want to be around 55-65%.  Too little water it becomes hard; too much water and the dough is seeping through the rack.

I have always put my dough directly on the grill.  No pan.  There is a lot of opening and closing of the top because you got to keep it moving.  Once the dough is sightly brown, move it to the top rack and close the lid.  Check often because you can destroy a pizza in 1 minute.  Sometimes I finish it for 1 min. on the bottom grill.

Grilled

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:43:07 AM »
I have always put my dough directly on the grill.  No pan.  There is a lot of opening and closing of the top because you got to keep it moving.  Once the dough is sightly brown, move it to the top rack and close the lid.  Check often because you can destroy a pizza in 1 minute.  Sometimes I finish it for 1 min. on the bottom grill.

Grilled

I'm finding out that there is no single procedure that works universally because each grill has it's own unique characteristics. I appreciate your suggestions because it give me ideas on how I could experiment with my procedure.

The one problem that seems most common is to get the top side to cook before the bottom burns.
My gas grill has a H style burner with lava rocks over the burner. I'm not sure what my BTU rating is but I'd say mine is lower than many others here who are able to get the top side to cook & brown the crust.

For my setup the preheated cast iron fry pan placed over the pizza helped a lot to cook the top side but I could still use more heat on top. Next I'm going to try a larger pan that extends past the tiles in hopes that more heat will flow up over the top side of the pie.

---pete---

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
For my setup the preheated cast iron fry pan placed over the pizza helped a lot to cook the top side but I could still use more heat on top. Next I'm going to try a larger pan that extends past the tiles in hopes that more heat will flow up over the top side of the pie.

Insulate the top of your grill. Here is how I did it. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan