Author Topic: Mystery flour Challenge  (Read 3883 times)

brayshaw

Re: Mystery flour Challenge
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »
Ahhh, you are too kind to me Paul.  What was the protein content ?? What did you say?? 13.7% ??  LOL,  I got lucky with my guess.   I sometimes say a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.   :-D
Seriously you have a great flour there.  If I can't get a better result with my Sam's club flour after a few more tries, I'll see about ordering a bag of this stuff when I'm done with my 50lbs of HG flour. 

Is this stuff considered BF or HG?  or a HG BF?  Not bleached or bromated right?

Paul, the more I read and with the limited experience I have, I'm starting to believe that a BF or HG BF is better for pizza than a HG flour or even a bromated flour but I dunno for sure. 

Cheers mate,
Chau

Yes I did say 13.7%! lol. Good guess ;D
I emailed the millers again yesterday begging for a spec sheet on that flour and I think I may be in luck this time, so if they send me it I will post it here for you Chau. I'm glad you liked the flour, it's by far the best I have tried.
What are flour prices like over there? The Manitoba flour will cost me 11 (that includes tax) for a 16kg sack.

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
Flour prices can vary quite a bit Paul depending on part of the country and brand.  I have very little experience with buying flour.  Of course bulk costs less.  For a 50lb sack of the Sams Club HG flour I believe I paid around $16 US for it.  My memory is foggy though.  Maybe someone can chime in about how much they pay for the KA stuff. 

Paul I went out and got a new 12" stone from Sears.  I paid about $12 and made another $5 donation to the troops.  They got me last time too, only it was for poor kids or something like that.  The last stone I had fell off that glass table when it crashed so I had to go make another donation yesterday.  :-D

I had enough of your flour to make 1 more doughball.  I also made a 2nd doughball with my SC HG flour to compare the 2.    I should have kept everything the same but I didn't. 

I played around with a modified version of Scott's straight dough method by adding more flour upfront and mixing to a wet shag instead of a wet batter (so that would represent 85-90% of the flour).  I then autolyse it for 10min this time instead of 20min.   Then kneaded in more flour to get a drier feel than I had gotten 2 days earlier. 

I calculated the new HR and to my surprise it was a 67%!  Down from 76% and it wasn't hard to do.  Based on this I have a theory about how autolyse affects hydration.   

So with my SC HG flour I decided to use my old technique of adding in 75% of the dough and letting it sit for 20 min then adding in the rest slowly.  I calculated the HR of this ball and it was about a 77%.

Here are the pics of today's pies in the MBE.  WARNING!!  Paul you better get a towel and cover up your keyboard buddy.  :o   Get ready for some pizza p@rn.   >:D

Here's a shot of the new stone.  It's ok, I need to dial it in though.   Then the pie made with your flour.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:02:55 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
Here's a shot of the crumb for this pie as well.  I'll compare this one to the oven baked pie and then I'll post the SC HG flour pie I made today.

Hmmm 76% HR vs a 67% HR using the same flour.  Hmmm. can't say there was a huge difference.  The higher HR did have an airier crumb that's for sure, but this pie was also dang good.  I gobbled up most of this pie right away.  Had to remind myself I had another pizza coming.  I had also tried a new cheese on this pie that I liked very much so that might have something to do with it.

The crumb.  It was not as airy as the other but it was very moist and tender and still airy enough.  It was not doughy at all.  I loved it.  It's the first mid 60's HR crumb that I was impressed with.  It could have been the new modified straight dough technique that I used as well.  Dunno.  have to do more testing. 

I was also impress that the MBE produced much more leoparding compared to the oven bake despite using almost identical recipes (aside from the HR difference). 

Enjoy Paul.  Wish you could have share this pie with me.   :chef:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:16:27 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »
Ok here's pie #2 made with Sam's club HG flour with my old dough technique.  HR was 77%, stretched and folds to trap big air bubbles.  Baked at around 680F for 4 mins or so.  Much loftier than the previous pie but had to be put bake in a hot oven with burner off and sit for a bit to dry out and crisp up the skin again. 

After fooling around too much with ultra high HR, i seriously think I need to come back down.  Now that I have the modified straight dough technique, I'll be testing out lower HR's of 65-70% and still try to achieve the big voids.  This should also allow me to get a great bake in the 3 to 3.5min realm and still get a nice crispy rim that won't go soft after sitting. 

Another thing to note between the 2 unbaked pies is that given the same amount of yeast and relatively same formula, Paul's manitoba flour proofed up more than the SC HG flour despite having a lower HR (meaning it had quite a bit more flour in the recipe compare to the SC HG ball).  ???  Scott or Peter, maybe you can explain this one?  Both had same amount of water, rehydrated ady, same room temp proof side by side.  I'm convinced that i would have gotten even a bigger rim spring had i let the SC HG ball proof up some more but the oven was warmed and I coudn't wait. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:19:57 PM by Jackie Tran »

brayshaw

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
Chau, they are cracking looking pies! I wish I could have tried them too! Great job JT!

scott123

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
Another thing to note between the 2 unbaked pies is that given the same amount of yeast and relatively same formula, Paul's manitoba flour proofed up more than the SC HG flour despite having a lower HR (meaning it had quite a bit more flour in the recipe compare to the SC HG ball).  ???  Scott or Peter, maybe you can explain this one?  Both had same amount of water, rehydrated ady, same room temp proof side by side.  I'm convinced that i would have gotten even a bigger rim spring had i let the SC HG ball proof up some more but the oven was warmed and I coudn't wait.

Chau, I've been mulling this over a bit, and, I have to admit that no simple explanation is jumping out at me.  Conventional logic says that more water translates into greater water activity, which, in turn, encourages fermentation.  Faster fermentation should translate into greater yeast activity/CO2 generation/volume. More water should equal more volume, not less.

If I had to pick an answer, I'd venture to say that the manitoba flour might have more malt, which, in turn, drives enzyme activity/fermentation.  Maybe.  I really couldn't say for sure.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
Paul, glad you enjoyed the thread.  I really liked doing the project and it's help me better my skill.  Thanks again for sending the flour and tomatoes.

Thx for giving it some thought Scott.  Like you said, probably differences in flour ingredients.  One may have had a slight difference in kneading technique as well.  I try to be consistent, but things can never be exactly the same.  Not that important to me.  The pies turned out great so I'm happy about that.

Chau

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:09:36 PM by Jackie Tran »

pizzapan