Author Topic: Re: Waffles Using a Sour Dough Mix  (Read 133 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Waffles Using a Sour Dough Mix
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
This morning I used some of the leftover sour dough mix (see the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11475.0.html), that was in the refrigerator to make a mix for waffles.  This is the recipe I used.  I am going to let this batter sit out until later today and then put the batter in my waffle iron.  I am also going to make some Dutch Chicken with gravy to eat with these waffles.  After I mixed this batter early this morning, the batter is now starting to bubble.  It will be interesting to see how this works out when made into waffles. 

Nancy Silvertonís Breads from the La Brea Bakery
4 oz (1/2 cup or 115 g) butter
8 oz (1 cup or 225 g) milk

Add the milk-butter mixture to:

9 oz (about a cup or 255g) white starter
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp (packed) brown sugar
6 oz (about 1 1/2 cups or 170 g) all purpose flour

Mix these together to form a thick batter, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8-14 hours. If you do this before going to bed, youíll have the batter ready for breakfast the next day.
Preheat your waffle iron for 10-15 minutes.

Uncover the batter and whisk in 2 large eggs and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cups of batter on the hot waffle iron and close the lid. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.

The leftover sour dough mix that I used yesterday and then was incorporated into a Lehmann dough, is still sitting on the kitchen table and is still fermenting.  I took a picture first thing this morning and another picture just a little while ago.  I wonder if I can feed this starter somehow and keep it going for awhile.  I might have to look on the web to see about Amish starters and see if somehow this sour dough mix, can be kept alive, something like the Amish starters. 

I will post later today of how the sourdough waffles turned out, whether good or bad.  Hopefully they will work out, because I really like the flavor of the sour dough mix that has been left in the refrigerator.

Pictures below of sour dough mix left in refrigerator, batter mixed with sour dough mix, sour dough mix that was leftover since mixing into Lehmann dough, waffle batter a few hours later, and sour dough mix after a few more hours.  It is becoming more active.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:50:15 AM by Pete-zza »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »
Norma,

You may find this interesting:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2087.msg18380.html#msg18380

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for referencing that thread.  If my waffles donít turn out okay today, I will try your recipe with leftover sour dough mix.  I really like waffles, but never tried any kind of starter in them.  I am soon going to try to get one of my regular starters started that I had purchased online a while ago.  Did you really like these sourdough waffles you made?  They sound great to me.  ;D Who knows what is going to happen with this sour dough mix I am trying.  ::)

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »

Did you really like these sourdough waffles you made?  They sound great to me. 

Norma

Yes, Norma, I really like waffles this way. Takes them to the next level. Waffles are among my favorite breakfasts; chicken and waffles are among my favorite combos. Tell me more about "Dutch Chicken and Gravy". Thanks.

Bill

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:57:22 PM »
Waffles are among my favorite breakfasts; chicken and waffles are among my favorite combos. Tell me more about "Dutch Chicken and Gravy". Thanks.

Bill

Man are we Canadians deprived!  I have always wanted to try this.  Ask for chicken & waffles here (Toronto) & they'll look at you like you have 2 heads.
Yes Norma please do tell. 
Bill, Sante Fe has become quite popular on Diners Drive Ins & Dives lately.  I know the pizza's crappy but everything else looks awesome. 

Matt

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »

Bill, Sante Fe has become quite popular on Diners Drive Ins & Dives lately.  I know the pizza's crappy but everything else looks awesome. 

Matt, this town does have a very vibrant food scene. There's even a new WFO place that I have been meaning to try. The owner has run a few other places I didn't much like; I think he may be another of the hordes trying to cash in one the artisan pizza movement.

The combo of fried chicken and waffles seemed strange to me also the first time I tried it at Roscoe's in LA back in the early 1980's. I've been a big fan ever since. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:09:45 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
Bill,

Roscoe's, along with several other top fried chicken places, was written up just recently at http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35116805.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »
Thanks, Peter. Nice description of Roscoe's. This thread is really giving me a hankering for some waffles. I just made some bread and put aside some leftover starter to make waffles on Sunday. Fried chicken? I'm waiting to see what Norma has to say about the "Dutch Chicken and Gravy."

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »
Thanks, Peter. Nice description of Roscoe's. This thread is really giving me a hankering for some waffles. I just made some bread and put aside some leftover starter to make waffles on Sunday. Fried chicken? I'm waiting to see what Norma has to say about the "Dutch Chicken and Gravy."

Bill, Matt and anyone else that is interested,

Dutch chicken with gravy and waffles is a Pa. Dutch Food.  It is served everywhere around our area.  You can add celery, carrots, onions and other seasonings to the pot you boil or simmer the chicken in. Then the vegetables can be removed and you just make a gravy from the juice of the chicken.  If you want to have your gravy darker, just add something like Kitchen Bouquet browning and seasoning sauce. Usually in our area the chicken and gravy is peppered heavily or as much as you want.  This is eating like a Pa. Dutchman. This whole thing is just a basic chicken and gravy like something else, common to our area, which is S.O.S. Did anyone ever hear of S.O.S.? This is like depression food, that my parents ate many times during the depression, if they were lucky enough to have meat.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »
Hopefully my waffles come out okay, or you will just be seeing the chicken and gravy and maybe burnt waffles.   ::)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
Two pictures of white chicken breast I am using for the Dutch Chicken and Gravy and my waffle iron.  I am now cooking the chicken with added vegetables.  I added olive oil to the chicken broth, because  you should usually use some kind of chicken with fat, to be then able to make the gravy. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
The Dutch Chicken waffles are finished.  This batter with the sour dough mix added, made 7 sour dough mix waffles.

Pictures below,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 07:44:58 AM »
I had a few more comments to make on my first waffle making experience with using a sour dough mix, after thinking about how these sour dough mix waffles compare to my usual waffles. I usually just make waffles with Bisquick and I do like the Bisquick waffles made from this top recipe and did try some other recipes on the Bisquick website which also turned out good. http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults?sr=2&term=Waffles

When I made this sour dough mix waffle batter yesterday morning and then let it sit out for around 12 hours at room temperature from the recipe above in my first post, I was wondering how this sour dough mix would work out in the waffles.  The sour dough mix combined with the above ingredients did smell good and after letting the batter sit out all day it did bubble some more. I then combined the two eggs, that I had whisked into the batter and also added baking soda and whisked some more.  I tasted the batter and it had a sour dough note to it, but also a sweetness. 

I had already turned on the waffle iron to heat up and took the temperature on the bottom plate and it was 483 degrees F. Temperature was taken with my IR gun. I placed about 3/4 cup of the batter in the middle of the bottom plate.  Since this waffle iron has been used for many years, I know how it works.  Usually my waffles get higher and are crispy on the top and bottom and the inside stays moister, but with a little crunch when you take a bite of the waffles. They are never soggy or limp when I remove the waffles from the waffle iron.  I kept wondering if this sour dough mix waffle would turn out the same way as my Bisquick waffles.

I made seven waffles from this sour dough mix batter.  When the waffles were in the waffle iron the waffles didnít turn the even golden color like my usual waffles are. Although they turned out decent in the color, they werenít like my regular waffles. When I removed the waffles from the waffle iron they seemed about the same as my regular waffles, but were thinner.  They seemed a little crisp on the outside.  I tasted the first one, while the second waffle was baking, without any added Dutch Chicken Gravy.  It was a little crispy, but not as crispy as my normal waffles and tasted different than my regular waffles.  It had a sweet note, which I attributed to the added brown sugar, and a little sour note.  The taste was pleasant and I looked forward to eating more waffles with the Dutch Chicken Gravy. 

What puzzles me about these sour dough mix waffles is when I had all the waffles made and went to eat them they became softer.  There wasnít any crispness to the outside of the waffles.  This is something like when I made a pizza with this sour dough mix and it was somewhat crispy one day and the when I tried to reheat the slices of pizza after two days, it too had become limp and not crispy at all, even after I reheated it in the toaster oven. I commented on this at. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11475.msg105787.html#msg105787 The taste of the finished waffles were good, but I like a little crisp to the outside.  I am wondering if somehow this sour dough mix did contribute to the softness after they waffles sat awhile.  I did eat the whole first waffle I made and my daughter ate two of the waffles, I ate two more with Dutch Chicken gravy and gave two to my mother with leftover Dutch Chicken gravy.  I donít have anymore left to try reheating in my toaster oven, to then see it they would get more crispy on the outside. 

When I usually put the Dutch Chicken gravy over my regular waffles they do become softer, but these waffles were much softer.

On the Bisquick website it says you can make pizzas out of Bisquick, but I never tried that.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults?sr=2&term=Bisquick-Pot-Pies-and-Pizza

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
I decided this morning to make some regular Bisquick waffles to compare to the sour dough mix waffles I made last evening. 

I mixed the Bisquick waffles as directed on the box, like I always do.  These waffles were crisper in my opinion.  It could be from the added oil.  I am not sure. They did become softer after I added the butter and syrup, but stayed crisp until I added those toppings.

These Bisquick waffles were dressed with a lot of butter, Mrs. Butter-worthís lite thick and rich and fresh blueberries.  I also fried some breakfast links of sausage to go with these waffles.

In comparison to the sour dough mix waffles, I think I like the Bisquick waffles better.

If anyone has ever made sourdough waffles before could you please comment on how they tasted and also, if they were crisp and then turned soft before toppings were added. I would like to be able to understand this more, before I make another batter out of sour dough mix.  Also if anyone has any comments to why my sour mix waffles did turn softer after they were baked, before any toppings were added, I would appreciate why that happens.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:07:59 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
Just another report on how these sour dough mix waffles tasted and baked when my Mother ate one of them tonight for her dinner.  She has also been making waffles for years, but doesnít cook much anymore.  That is why I usually take leftovers to her.  I told her that these sour dough mix waffles were softer than usual, after sitting for awhile.  I told her when she is ready to eat them to put them in the oven for a little while. I had placed the waffles on a plate and inside a plastic ziplock bag. She did put one in the oven tonight and said although it didnít become as crispy as normal, it still was crisp.  She did then heat the Dutch Chicken gravy and also put that on the waffles.  She said she really enjoyed the waffle and although it tasted different than the regular waffles she has always made, it was good in her opinion.  She still has another waffle to eat.

Norma

pizzapan