Author Topic: Waffle Iron Pizza  (Read 4709 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Waffle Iron Pizza
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
I decided to try something unconventional for a pizza  Since I like to experiment in different ways, I decided to try out my waffle iron for a pizza oven.  Since it does heat on the top and bottom evenly, I thought I would give it a go for a pizza oven.  The temperature on the waffle iron can get a over 500 degrees F.

I removed a small dough ball from my freezer and time defrosted the dough ball  in my microwave and then left it on my kitchen table for about 1 hour.  I wasnít sure how this bake was going to go in the waffle iron and had my reservations about the dough sticking to the waffle iron.  I thought maybe if oiled the plates with olive oil that was good for grilling that might work, to keep the dough from sticking.  I did oil both plates with a pastry brush.  I then let the Waffle Iron get hot. The temperature of my Waffle Iron taken with the IR gun was 520 degrees F. The dough was floured some and then also oiled with olive oil.  When I place the skin in the Waffle Iron it quickly started to rise. After baking for a little while I was wondering if both sides were getting baked evenly.  I checked on the bottom and it seemed to be baking well.  I rotated this pie a few times with two forks and then closed the lid on the Waffle Iron.  After I thought the pie was baked enough, I removed it with forks from the Waffle Iron.  I then placed the pie on a metal peel and dressed the pie.  The pie was dressed with BBQ sauce that was made from corn syrup, molasses,  tomato paste, Colgin liquid smoke, vinegar, mustard seed, salt, pineapple juice, garlic, some chili powder and a little bit of Kitchen Bouquet to give it a browner color. None of these ingredients were weighed out. I just put different ingredients into a pan. Then mozzarella was added with sauteed peppers from my garden and also grape tomatoes from my garden.  The broiler of my oven was then turned on and I finished baking this pie in the broiler so the cheese would melt and also the rim would brown better.

In my opinion this was the most different pie I had tasted to this date.  The crust was moist and the tangy BBQ sauce with chicken combined with the peppers and grape tomatoes were tasty.

After trying out this waffle iron as a pizza oven, I saw how fast this dough could rise with using even top and bottom heat.  The dough really want to puff and rise fast.  I had to close the lid tighter so the side wouldnít become uneven and also because the middle of this pizza would have also been too thick.  After doing this experiment for a pizza using the Waffle Iron, I then thought about a Panini grill I used to own when I had my funnel cake stand.  That grill had flat plates and a floating head.  I used it to make Mexican quesadillas, fry food, made Mexican pizza with frozen raised tortilla shells and make other food items.  This isnít the exact Panini grill I owned, but it is something like it.  I wish I still owned that Panini grill to try a pizza out to see who well that would make a crust rise and also evenly bake the pizza.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/star-gx10is-10x-10-grill-express-heavy-duty-smooth-top-bottom-panini-grill/793GX10IS%20%20%20120.html

Pictures below

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Waffle Iron Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »
End of pictures

Norma

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
Very nicely done Norma! :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:39 AM »
Wow again Norma  :o !
Most creative and one more way of making pizza checked off the list.  I believe you could figure out how to get a great pie out of slow cooker!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »
Very nicely done Norma! :chef:

Jet_deck,

Thanks for saying the waffle iron pizza was nicely done.   :)  It was good.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »
Wow again Norma  :o !
Most creative and one more way of making pizza checked off the list.  I believe you could figure out how to get a great pie out of slow cooker!

Hog,

I am always thinking of new ways to try out pizzas.  When I had made waffles the two days before, this is what gave me the idea of trying this out.  It's all about the top and bottom heat.  I have a few more ideas up my sleeve, but don't think I could make a pie in a slow cooker.

Thanks for saying this was most creative and one more way of making pizza to cross of the list.  :) I am going to try this again, because I really like how moist the crust was.

Norma

Offline dmichael72

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
Well Done...reminds me of the spirit homebrewers, always searching for something different and creative. Kudos to you AND your pies. :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
Well Done...reminds me of the spirit homebrewers, always searching for something different and creative. Kudos to you AND your pies. :)

dmichael72,

Thanks for saying this Waffle Iron Pizza was well done.  I am always searching for new ways to make pizza.  I really don't understand about home brewing, but have a friend that tells me it is a lot like pizza making and everyone is also trying something different, which is great.  ;D  I wish I understood more about home brewing and maybe will find out about that in time.

Thanks for the kudos,  :)

Norma

Offline CAPSLOCK

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:57:13 PM »
Just when you think you've seen it all... Very cool!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Just when you think you've seen it all... Very cool!

CAPSLOCK,

Thanks for saying the idea was cool.  :)  If only I could find a way to unhooked the back hinge and still have electric going to the top of the plate.  This pie would then be really puffy.  When I went to make this pie, the edges really puffed up, but I had to push it down or the back rim would have been flat and the front rim puffy.  :-D

Norma

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »
  I believe you could figure out how to get a great pie out of slow cooker!

September monthly challenge?!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
September monthly challenge?!

jeff v,

Your idea would be creative. :)  I wonder who could make a pizza in the most unconventional way.  ::)  I am sure many members could think of many ideas.  There are so many ways on this forum to make pizzas.  You might ask one of the moderators if they would want to use your idea.

Norma

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
What a great idea!!! :chef:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »
What a great idea!!! :chef:

Trinity,

Thanks for saying the waffle iron pizza was a great idea.  :)

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
"The pie was dressed with BBQ sauce that was made from corn syrup, molasses,  tomato paste, Colgin liquid smoke, vinegar, mustard seed, salt, pineapple juice, garlic, some chili powder and a little bit of Kitchen Bouquet to give it a browner color. None of these ingredients were weighed out. I just put different ingredients into a pan. Then mozzarella was added with sauteed peppers from my garden and also grape tomatoes from my garden.  "

There she goes again!

Norma,  I think I figured this out.  You were born with taste buds that have imagination.  It is a very rare condition.  When are you going to make that watermelon coffee pizza?   Do you let your adventurous customers seeking culinary thrills try your experiments?         

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
cranky,

I donít think I was born with taste buds that have imagination.  I was a very picky eater when I was a child.  I have cooked for many years and sometimes just use things I have at home to whip up something.   I sure am not an expert cook, but do like to experiment with cooking, just like I do with making pizza.  I donít make that many different kinds of pies at market, because most people want just cheese followed by pepperoni and then sausage.  When I had another market stand and made Mexican food, I was always searching the internet for something new to try.

Never will try a watermelon coffee pizza.  They just donít go together.  :-D

Norma

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »

I wouldn't be so quick to say that.  Watermelon puree could brighten a tomato based sauce (not much of a stretch given they are both fruits), while coffee could be used in a meat marinade.  In fact, coffee is often used by some in meat rubs.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/coffee-crusted-beef-tenderloin-recipe/index.html

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:35:38 PM »
November,

I never thought of using finely ground coffee for a meat rub. By the comments on the link you provided it seems like the recipe is good.  The recipe you provided almost sounds like some kind of Mexican recipe with coffee added.

You just never know what ingredients might work well together.  ::)

Thanks for the link and showing me that coffee can work in some recipes.  :)

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
[
quote author=norma427 link=topic=11568.msg107020#msg107020 date=1282003598]
cranky,

I donít think I was born with taste buds that have imagination.  I was a very picky eater when I was a child.

There goes my theory.

I have cooked for many years and sometimes just use things I have at home to whip up something.   I sure am not an expert cook, but do like to experiment with cooking, just like I do with making pizza.

I am not sure what an expert cook is.  Someone who could figure out on a whim how to make pizza on a waffle iron and it turns out on the first try has to be pretty clever in the kitchen.  Maybe we should call it an expertiment. 

Norma
[

My wife makes a blueberry cream cheese pizza.  Everyone likes it.

pizzapan