Author Topic: Soapstone thickness  (Read 1925 times)

Offline lustreking

• Lustreking  Brewing
Soapstone thickness
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »
I found a semi-local place that can get me an 18x18x1/2 soapstone tile for ~$34.  It seems like the 1.25" soapstone is thicker than we really need, but would 1/2" be too thin?

Thanks,
Steve

edit:  I should add that this is for a home oven

Offline scott123

Re: Soapstone thickness
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
Steve, I don't think anyone is saying that 1.25" is excessively thick for everyone's use.  We just have two members that found the pre-heat too long (for them) in deck oven and high temp grill environments.  In a home oven, a 1.25" slab should pre-heat in about an hour. Any good, oven spring producing stone is going to take about that long to pre-heat in a home oven.

Now, could you squeak by with a 1/2" tile?  You'd be the first person that I know of to try it.  With the density/heat capacity of the material... It's going to perform better than 1/2" cordierite (and 3/4" fibrament), but it might not give you quite enough to hit that magic 4-5 minute NY style baking time realm.

If it were 3/4" I wouldn't skip a beat, but 1/2" might be cutting it close. I'm pretty sure it will perform well, but, until someone buys one, I can't be 100% certain. You will have recovery issues to work around (maybe 10 minutes between pies rather than back to back), but I don't think those will be hard to resolve. If you're oven goes to 550 or higher, I say go for it.

If it did work out, that would be quite the coup for those seeking shorter pre-heat times.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:49:56 PM by scott123 »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »
Steve,

Iíd jump on it.  In fact, Iíve got a half-incher on order Ė but then $34 isnít a big risk IMO.  Generally speaking, the notable advantage of soapstone over cordierite is that soapstone conducts heat better.  Thatís nice because it should provide slightly more uniform top stone temperature and Bobís tests seemed to support that.  It has also been suggested that better conduction means lower baking start temperature (by 75F or so) but Bobís tests didnít support that conclusion.  I havenít actually cooked on my 1.25Ē thick soapstone because I couldnít afford to pay OPEC enough to get the stone up to temperature again.

Additionally, I believe that the soapstone will store a comparable amount of heat to cordierite meaning that ĹĒ thick is more than enough to cook a single pizza for five minutes or so with the lower heat off.  (I do it all the time with Cordierite and bottom heat on/off makes no difference).

Speak up if you disagree, but I donít see why ĹĒ wouldnít be a better solution for most low-production environments.

Dave

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »
Dave, you're able to break the 5 minute bake barrier in a 550 deg. oven with 1/2" cordierite?

Offline lustreking

• Lustreking  Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
I'll probably give it a shot.  How much do those 1.25" stones weigh per square foot?  I read somewhere around 20 lbs, making one this size be around 45 lbs.  I definitely like the idea of moving around and storing a stone that weighs less than half of that.  Regardless, it's probably going to work better than what I have now, which is nothing.   :D

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
Hi Scott.  Good point.  I usually throw the pie between 675F and 700F and it takes a handful of minutes to cook.  I guess I should time it, but with the rotisserie going round and round, Iím more focused on getting the right amount of char than the elapsed time.

Cooking in an oven at 550F will probably take a few minutes longer.  I still think that a thinner soapstone makes more sense for most folks.  Although the 1.25" thick slab has more thermal mass and hernial heft, to me it seems like overkill. 

But you have good experience with ovens and slabs.  If you feel strongly that 3/4" is the minimum safe thickness for soapstone in the oven, I'm good with that.

Dave

Offline Iyor

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:38:39 PM »
Texeira soapstone at soapstones.com has tiles that size for $18.95 if your going that route. I considered getting some of those, but I found a place that had 2 pieces so I just got those.

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
Is $100 for 16x18x1'1/4 soapstone cut from texeira too much?

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »
Sartanely, is this $100 shipped or is shipping extra?  $100 shipped is pretty reasonable.

Is 16 x 18 as large as your oven can take?  You really want to size it so that the stone is touching the back wall and almost touching the door.  Most ovens can handle a little larger than 16. For NY style pizza, you want to be able to go as large as possible- ideally at least 16."  Launching a 16" pizza on a 16" stone is really difficult- at least for a beginner.  Even if your oven can only handle 16.5", that's better than 16." Every little bit helps.

Also, when you order, you want to confirm that you're getting 'classic high talc soapstone.'

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »
Thanks for response. No shipping, just pick up
I have about 2.5' clearance on the sides and about 1.5' front and back. I like 13-14" pies than 16"
Do I have to mention "classic high talc" when I'll place an order?  I did mentioned that I need it for cooking and which gonna be a premium soapstone. Is there any specific name to say. I know that I should get gray is this correct? Thanks