Author Topic: Almost-WFO-politans but baked in the home oven thread.....  (Read 40443 times)

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Almost-WFO-politans but baked in the home oven thread.....
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:31 AM »
This caught my attention since I had just sat down with Peter Taylor yesterday for a few minutes and I watched him form the ball he gave me, trapping a LOT of air inside that ball.....his pies definitely had leoparding :)

Stray,

I would love your description of how Peter Taylor now forms his balls.  Has it changed ftom this you tube video?

http://www.youtube.com/user/pftaylor#p/u/2/z3vUSCR-_uQ

AZ

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
Stray,

I would love your description of how Peter Taylor now forms his balls.  Has it changed ftom this you tube video?

http://www.youtube.com/user/pftaylor#p/u/2/z3vUSCR-_uQ

AZ

Hey AZ,

I can't really speak to how he's forming balls currently as I wasn't there when he formed them for proofing.  What I can pass along is what I saw him do in front of me at the end of lunch service :)

It was more of a tuck-n-fold ala Silence of the Lambs ;D  It was very fast and gentle if that can be said.  Left hand more or less held the ball in place, while with the right he stretched then tucked the fold into the dough....rotated and repeated a few times.  He even commented on how "heavy" the ball was due to trapping air inside.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
To those with electrical ovens/"coiled" broiler heating elements: Is the heat along the coil pretty much even throughout for the most part?

I am curious to try an electric oven out......and think it may be better for this application, being that the flame broiler in my oven has such a variable temperature (flame varies from 770 to 950F along the full area of the flame) and the electric coil takes away the risk that a flame will "lick" downwards into your pizzas while cooking, which can result in all sorts of nasty things! :)

Been several weeks since I have made pizza.....I wish my schedule would allow me to make it on a more regular basis.

Tested a new configuration for using nothing but the broiler for cooking. Also tried a new kneading technique ("knuckles kneading") for kicks and the Neapolitan slap technique for shaping.

<a href="http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=zrMYLg_9Tpc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=zrMYLg_9Tpc</a>

I'll give the two test pizzas I made today (I have almost no toppings at the moment!) a C+ or B-.......need to work on positioning and turning the pizzas to get a more even heat distribution, which varies by as much as 200F depending on what part of the reflective plate the flame is bouncing down from. You can see the variance of heat by the darker and lighter areas on the cornicione. Will dial this new set up in and post pics of the improved pies later.

Loving the pics of everyones progress in this thread!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:18:51 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
PB, you did a really nice job.  The first pie looks like it came from a WFO.  What type of flour did you use?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
PB, you did a really nice job.  The first pie looks like it came from a WFO.  What type of flour did you use?

Thanks Chau. Those pies used Caputo Pizzeria flour.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
Crumb is getting better, but not satisfied yet with the whole pizza. It needs to be lighter, more airy.

Need much better even distribution of heat, drab nabbit.

Back to the drawing board.

Ruby: smoked mozzarella, taleggio, sea salt, olive oil, brined fresh kale, lemon juice

pizza went fast by the time the camera came out.....last slice!

Grade: B

(disclosure: the crumb on the right sided picture had a pin flashlight shined onto it when taking the picture in order to brighten the crumb for my future reference and comparisons)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:50:52 AM by pizzablogger »

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »
Just spotted this thread for the 1st time and I have a question. Fibrament says never broil their stone. They also say the stone is fired at 2500 degrees and to clean it put it on cleaning cycle. Since we know that's 1000 degrees, and it's fired at 2500, why can't you do this method by broiling a Fibrament stone???

Amazing looking pies, especially considering no starter and AP flour! I'd love to find a way to do this.

EDIT: 2 1/2 days later...

Ok then, Never mind!  :-X
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:11:46 AM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »

EDIT: 2 1/2 days later...

Ok then, Never mind!  :-X

That's how I usually feel. lol.   :-D 

NYPS - Thxs for the compliment.  I don't have a fibrament stone so really I shouldn't even try to answer your question but...obviously if the manufacture says don't do it, then they can't guarantee it won't fail if you use it in a fashion outside their recommendations.

Having said that, I can't see why you couldn't use it under the broiler at those temps of 800-900F.   I can't see it being a dangerous situation.  Worse case scenario, the stone cracks and you learn from your mistake.  I'm willing to bet it will do just fine.   It actually should perform quite well given that it is a relatively low conducting stone (from what I've read).  It should be a bit more lenient as far as the bottom of the pie charring. 

My recommendations? Crank the broiler full blast and post up the results.  But I like to push the envelope and see what can and can't really be done :P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:27:19 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »
Getting really frustrated with my oven.

Broiler started behaving badly again.....flare ups, uneven heat, flames licking down onto the pizza....latest tinkerings and I felt like I was a step behind the whole way.

Burnt the pizza in a few spots and got more of a New York-Neapolitan coal fired oven look to it than I wanted. A shame, since the pizza tasted delicious.

Back to the drawing board....don't think I'll be happy until I get a wood burner and some approximation of reliably high temperatures and better heat distribution.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »
PB I can completely relate to your fustrations with the home oven bake.  However my ultimate goal is to approximate a WFO bake in the home oven.  Sound impossible?  Maybe not. Well, it will never be the same but how close can we get it?

Also I'm as picky as any pizza making fool, and that's a great looking pie.  Obvioulsy for a lighter looking crumb just pull it from the broiler a few seconds sooner with each pass of the rim and you are there.  Any crumb shots?  If at some point in the future, If I can get the appropriate ovenspring and crumb structure out of the home oven, I may just forgo my plans for a WFO.  Keep the dream alive and keep those pies coming!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:33:14 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2010, 08:33:44 AM »
I am in awe of the results you and other such as Chau are getting in a home oven. They are nearly identical to WFO pizzas - and probably taste just as good if not better (you are all seasoned pros).

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2010, 12:44:33 PM »
pb these are the first pies i have seen from you ,the look fantastic . is that caputo dough ?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
sorry pb i didn't read the posts above about caputo.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
PB

For what it's worth I give your pies an A in the looks department.  They are truly stunning.  They have a Neapolitan look with a really springy and non gummy appearing crumb.

In my experience the difficulty of this Neapolitan rimming technique is the unevenness of the crumb level of doneness even when the top Looks evenly charred.

Anyway keep up the great work and I look forward to your posts.

AZ

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

@Chau: No crumb shots. Made this as part of a pizza tasting of 6 pizzas and peeps were clamoring to get into each pizza. Between juggling with making pizzas and stuff, I didn't take many photos at all. Crumb was good though....airy and light.

I made my first potato pizza (yukon gold potatoes, salt, olive oil, taleggio, thyme, cracked black pepper) and it won't be my last. Anyone else tinker with potatoes on pizzas yet? --K

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
potato pizza????????

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2010, 10:29:44 PM »
potato pizza????????

It's been on the menu of Serious Pie for quite some time, not to mention other places:

http://tomdouglas.com/index.php/restaurants/serious-pie/serious-pie-menu/serious-pie-pizza

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »

In my experience the difficulty of this Neapolitan rimming technique is the unevenness of the crumb level of doneness even when the top Looks evenly charred.

I absolutely agree.   I'm going to work on a formulation to correct that if possible.  I have some ideas that I hope will work.  ???

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2010, 12:38:22 PM »
I absolutely agree.   I'm going to work on a formulation to correct that if possible.  I have some ideas that I hope will work.  ???

Made one last night that was pretty good.  Definitely an improvement but not quite up to my high expectations.
Also used Ambrosi Bufala on it and this cheese was excellent. 

Chau

pizzapan