Author Topic: fairmont bagels, Montreal  (Read 1502 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: fairmont bagels, Montreal
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
Norma,

Those do look good. Are you planning to move to Montreal to go into the milk kefir bagel business in competition with Fairmont or are you moving to California to work for and teach Chad Robertson how to make milk kefir doughs, including milk kefir bagel doughs  :-D?

Can you tell us what changes you made to the recipe you used?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
Norma,

Those do look good. Are you planning to move to Montreal to go into the milk kefir bagel business in competition with Fairmont or are you moving to California to work for and teach Chad Robertson how to make milk kefir doughs, including milk kefir bagel doughs  :-D?

Can you tell us what changes you made to the recipe you used?

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for saying the Fairmont bagels look good. Since I am using the milk kefir in experiments for pizza dough and the Tartine Bread last week, I also wanted to see how the milk keifr would work out when trying to make bagels.  When I mixed the dough yesterday, I thought I could make the bagels last evening, but the dough wasnít ready.  It had only bubbled some. 

The changes I made to your formula you set-forth, was I divided it into 1/4, I still used 2 eggs, used KAAP with durum flour, added 39 grams milk kefir right out of the refrigerator.  I wanted to see if the milk kefir that was refrigerated for a couple of days would still leaven the dough.    I started out with 103 grams of KAAP flour and 53.76 grams of durum flour.  I saw that dough was going to be way too sticky, because I added all that milk kefir.  I then kept adding durum flour (I think in total the added flour was 100 grams or a little more), until I thought the dough felt okay.  It was still sticky.  At least I got a bakers dozen out of this formula.  Since it has worked and I really like these bagels, I will try making more, the next time.

I know I wonít be moving to Montreal to be in competition, with Fairmont bagels.  I am also sure Chad Robertson could teach me many things, but at least I might understand a little more about milk kefir than he does.  Scratch moving to California, too.  I am getting to old to move anywhere.  :-D  I also like learning about naturally leavened baked goods. I donít know if anyone has made milk kefir bagels before, but Marc was the one that inspired me to try his recipe.

Norma

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
Norma,  very nice work as well.  I told ya you could do it first try,  and with an alternate form of leavening.  You have become very skilled and I appreciate how much effort you put into your experiments.  I am sure that the kefir added some flavor as well.  How would you rate them on your bagel scale?  -marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »
Norma,  very nice work as well.  I told ya you could do it first try,  and with an alternate form of leavening.  You have become very skilled and I appreciate how much effort you put into your experiments.  I am sure that the kefir added some flavor as well.  How would you rate them on your bagel scale?  -marc

Marc,

Thanks for your kind words.  :)  I wasnít sure about making bagels, because I never tried them before.  The milk kefir did add a nice flavor to the bagels and also the long fermentation time also helped. When I looked at the dough this morning I thought I had overfermented the dough.  You can see the top bubbles on the one picture I posted and also all the other bubbles in the dough from the other pictures.  On my bagel scale I would rate these as the best bagels I have ever eaten.  I am going to try and toast one bagel or two later on this evening and I will post another picture of how they look toasted. 

I think I am going to New York in the next few weeks for a day.  I want to look at their bagels closer to see what they really look like.  I had many bagel sandwiches with eggs, bacon and cheese all over New York but non can compare with these.  I want to thank you again for posting about making the Fairmont bagels.

Do you have any idea how the yeast can withstand the hot boiling of these bagels.  I had mentioned in my other post about how the yeast can withstand the boiling.  If you look at the pictures I posted you can see how flat the bagels were before I put them into the boiling water.  Even after they were boiled, they didnít rise very much.  When they were put into the oven, they did rise.  I find that interesting what happens with bagels. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
I put one of my Fairmont bagels on my scale and it weighs 36 grams.  I also toasted the bagel.  The pictures show before the toast and after the toast.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
danny you just nailed it !

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
I made another dough today for the Fairmont bagels, but I am going to use the dough to make a pizza.  This time I used salt in the dough and also used a milk kefir poolish to leaven the dough.  This dough I made is very sticky and I wonder how the eggs will affect the pizza crust.  I did add more flour this time to the formula Peter set-forth, but the dough is still sticky.  I used KABF in combination with durum flour.  2 eggs were used to make about 1/4 the formula.  Malt powder was also used in this dough.

Pictures of milk kefir poolish and dough ball

Norma
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:59:33 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
Marc,

Thanks for starting this thread about Fairmont bagels.  :) First from your post I had a chance to taste really good bagels and now I also had a chance to try a good pizza.  First Fairmont bagel pizza.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:59:06 PM by norma427 »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
Norma,  What have you done?!  that looks like it was great Nice job!  My buddy wanted me to try that,  maybe I will.  -marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Norma,  What have you done?!  that looks like it was great Nice job!  My buddy wanted me to try that,  maybe I will.  -marc

Marc,

Thanks to you posting about Fairmont bagels, I got to taste the best pizza I have made to this date. Steve (Ev) and I both thought this was the best pizza.   :)

Hope you also get to use the bagel dough to try pizza.  It did work out good.

Thanks again,

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
Norma,

The pizza does look good. It looks like you hit the ball out of the park again.

Was the malt the diastatic or non-diastatic type? Also, do you plan to replicate the recipe as you modified it and note the weights of all ingredients, including for the milk kefir poolish? Unfortunately, none of the dough calculating tools can handle what you did.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
Norma,

The pizza does look good. It looks like you hit the ball out of the park again.

Was the malt the diastatic or non-diastatic type? Also, do you plan to replicate the recipe as you modified it and note the weights of all ingredients, including for the milk kefir poolish? Unfortunately, none of the dough calculating tools can handle what you did.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for saying the pizza looks good.  The malt I used was the Diastatic Malt Powder.  I do plan on on replicating this recipe again. I did note all the weights and what I used, if anyone wants to try this pizza.  I don't know what will happen if IDY is used for this pizza.  Maybe another starter would work.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2010, 10:46:23 PM »
It's true. I thought this pizza was exceptional. I tasted one of the bagels that Norma made and thought it was pretty good. The bagel was good but the pizza was GREAT! Working for Norma definitely has it's advantages! ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
It's true. I thought this pizza was exceptional. I tasted one of the bagels that Norma made and thought it was pretty good. The bagel was good but the pizza was GREAT! Working for Norma definitely has it's advantages! ;D

Steve,

Thanks for posting you also thought this Fairmont bagel pizza was good.  :) I hope we can make the same pizza again.

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Norma,

I couldn't find any info on the "Bella Fran" brand. Do you have a link to their website perhaps?

I found the Foremost Farms cheese but unfortunately their website doesn't tell whether they sell at retail level or not. They don't give any info on that.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2010, 08:02:12 AM »
Norma,

I couldn't find any info on the "Bella Fran" brand. Do you have a link to their website perhaps?

I found the Foremost Farms cheese but unfortunately their website doesn't tell whether they sell at retail level or not. They don't give any info on that.

Mike,

If you look on page 13 of this pdf. catalog, you will see the 1950 brand of whole milk mozzarella and Bella Fran whole milk mozzarella I purchase. The mozzarella cheeses are on the right column near the bottom.   http://www.hometownprovisions.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/htp-catalog.pdf   The 1950 brand is Foremost cheese.  My blend of whole milk mozzarellas are 50/50.  My distributor lets anyone that has a small or large business purchase any amount.  They will even sell one loaf at a time.  If I was in a larger business than my small market stand I would buy some of the imported mozzarellas on page 11 to try.  Mozzarella for me, even wholesale, has gone up in price since May of this year over .60 a lb. I buy my mozzarellas in loaves of 6 lbs. and grate the cheese in my Pelican Head grater. I also buy my tomato products for the sauce I use at market from Hometown Provisions. 

I really don't know, if both of these cheeses are available for retail or not. 

Norma

Norma

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:49 AM »
Our local passable bagel place got bought out by the deplorable einstein bros chain.

Remembering this thread I went into overdrive and went through several generations of bagel baking trials.

Starting with the Fairmount recipe I found the bagels to be too open in crumb, too soft, too unsalted, and not crispy enough for my personal tastes.

I have settled on the following recipe for a chewier, crispier more (I think) new yorkish bagel.

35% sourdough starter
51% water
1% salt
4.5% honey
2% malt powder

Boiled in sugared salted water for about 30 to 45 seconds.

baked at 550 stone temp for 8-10 minutes.

I really like mixing raw onion into the dough at the beginning.

AZ

pizzapan