Author Topic: Video of dough that just came out of a bosch universal plus mixer  (Read 10429 times)

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Video of dough that just came out of a bosch universal plus mixer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »
Scott,

If I want to achieve nasa level smoothness and plasticity in my 59% hydration dough (like yours) using a starter as opposed to yeast what bakers
percentage starter would you recommend? Assuming 100 % hydration starter.

Alexi

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »
Scott ,
Thanks for posting this great video! Marc also recommended the Bosch to me. My question  was about the stainless bowl also. No need right? I find that making the dough can be the biggest hindrance to making pizza for me I am not a big hand mixer either. Always outside so don't mind firing and 2-3 hrs to get up to temp thats easy. I have the kithen aid and have to do like 3- 4 batches every time I do th dough :'(  I can do 900 G of Caputo then it Ca-PUT O all over, so that really interests me as well and I keep reading jut put in the ingredients and turn it on . I have few more items on e bay and i will have my $399 for this baby I am going to finally bite the bullet looking forward to the other new users putting up their results as well.
Great link on the other page too!!
oh 1 more ?  for you or Marc Is the newest model uni plus the best or can I get away with a bit older standard universal?
Thanks again
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
I think the new one with its larger capacity (universal plus) is the way to go, but you can save some money and buy the universal used on ebay with its smaller capacity.   They seem to be pretty similar as far as dough quality goes.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »
Scott,

If I want to achieve nasa level smoothness and plasticity in my 59% hydration dough (like yours) using a starter as opposed to yeast what bakers
percentage starter would you recommend? Assuming 100 % hydration starter.

Alexi

I never work with 100% hydration starter, and prefer to go a bit lighter on the water.     I tend to use around 65g of starter per liter of water for room temp fermentations, and up to 200g per liter for cold fermented doughs,  but all starters are different and its best to experiment with your particular strain of yeast.   Good luck!   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:58:37 PM by scott r »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53:28 PM »
Jconk,  scott etc,  I am much happier with my new machine than the old one.  Mostly because the new one is slightly bigger in capacity,  and also due to the removeable center shaft which lets you easily clean the entire bowl.  The other great part of the new mixer is the speed one has been reduced by half if I remember correctly.  This makes for a more effective action that heats the dough less than the old machine.  I do not have the stainless bowl as I did with the old one.  I may get one just to have an extra bowl,  and if I notice any differences I will report back here.  JTran,  I will be interested to see if you can manage to squeak the last 10% of dough quality by doing some wet kneading teasts.  I am currently completely content with the set it and forget it predictable results I have going right now,  but If you make and progress,  I will jump onboard.  Jconk,  I really feel for you with your multiple batches.  I think you are good for 8#s maybe a hair more per mix.  -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »

I would also love to see a photo (or video ;D) of your dough cooked at high heat.

That dough is Awesome!

AZ

Ponzu, I didn't go too high with the heat because I am not a huge fan of oil in the dough at neapolitan temps.  I went with a well done New Haven/New york coal oven style pizza and baked it at roughly 700 degrees.   This is an 18 inch pizza.   Even for coal oven style pizzas I typically leave out the oil, but since I also had to use some of this batch of dough in my friends 550 degree oven I put it in there.   The dough still worked out great with the oil, and even though its very well done on the outside, the inside was tender and had a good amount of "melt in your mouth" quality.   I love the places that make a charred coal oven style pizza, but I hate how (especially the new haven places) can sometimes give your jaw too much of a workout by overcooking or using dough thats not at its peak.   This batch turned out to be soft, light and fluffy, allowing me to char the baby up nice without the pizza getting tough.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:42:30 AM by scott r »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
D@mn Scott, is this what my pies can potentially look like in 20 yrs?  With your description, I can just about taste that crust through the screen.  Seriously very nice work.

Chau

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »
Scott,  an article,  a video,  and a picture in less than a week?!  Nice looking pizza,  sauce on top ehhh.  nice.  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »
Awesome pizza. HE'S BACK.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
sauce on top ehhh.  nice.  -marc

By putting the sauce on top I can use a thinner sauce, which has a fresher flavor.   If your a cheese person it might not be for you, but if your more of a sauce person putting it on last can really make that tomato flavor pop. 

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »
Scott that pie is magnificent.  You just keep raising the bar. And distracting me from my high hydration, wild yeast, neo neopolitan focus. :(

That pie rocks.

I am going to buy property in New Haven that pie is so enticing.

How many grams for an 18 inch pie?  is that dry mozz?

I made the 59 % hydration dough per your specs last night.  No oil.  KABF.  IDY. Although it wasn't NASA quality it was at least cosmonaut quality.  Easily passed the glove test and sheeted better than anything that I have previously made.

It was interesting.  after pulling the dough in sheets every which way, I tried to fold it over and do it all again.  Couldn't do it.  I guess the gluten becomes organized during the rest and once it is sheeted it becomes alligned in a particular orientation and can't be reoriented? It makes me wonder if next time I should dissolve my starter in the water prior to adding the flour in order to break up the gluten structure of the starter to homogenize the add -it all -and -turn -it -on mixing suspension?

It was also interesting how different the feel of this lower hydration dough was to my previous, much wetter doughs.  Much easier to work with.  It looked more like the doughs in those neapolitan ball forming videos on You tube.  I wonder how it will taste?

I did miss the sourdough smell though.

I'm learning so much from your approach.

Thank you.

AZ

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 05:29:36 AM »
Which speed setting do you use when you're mixing? I have also recently "upgraded" from a Santos fork mixer to a Bosch mixer. My biggest gripe with the Santos mixer was that I could never keep the bowl spinning at a consistent speed while it was mixing. I had to sit there the whole time fiddling with it to keep things mixing smoothly.

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »
Hi guys,

Wonder if the Bosch Compact does as nice a job(for smaller batches)?

Looks like it's back on the market for a while.
Dwight

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
Scott,

Also,  did you cook the pie in an aluminum pizza serving pan?  I am going to try to replicate the pie tonight with a now proofing soviet space agency approved 725 g dough ball.  (based on 18" at a 0.1 thickness factor.)

-Alexi
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:04:00 PM by ponzu »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »
Scott that pie is magnificent.  You just keep raising the bar. And distracting me from my high hydration, wild yeast, neo neopolitan focus. :(

That pie rocks.

I am going to buy property in New Haven that pie is so enticing.

How many grams for an 18 inch pie?  is that dry mozz?

I made the 59 % hydration dough per your specs last night.  No oil.  KABF.  IDY. Although it wasn't NASA quality it was at least cosmonaut quality.  Easily passed the glove test and sheeted better than anything that I have previously made.

It was interesting.  after pulling the dough in sheets every which way, I tried to fold it over and do it all again.  Couldn't do it.  I guess the gluten becomes organized during the rest and once it is sheeted it becomes alligned in a particular orientation and can't be reoriented? It makes me wonder if next time I should dissolve my starter in the water prior to adding the flour in order to break up the gluten structure of the starter to homogenize the add -it all -and -turn -it -on mixing suspension?

It was also interesting how different the feel of this lower hydration dough was to my previous, much wetter doughs.  Much easier to work with.  It looked more like the doughs in those neapolitan ball forming videos on You tube.  I wonder how it will taste?

I did miss the sourdough smell though.

I'm learning so much from your approach.

Thank you.

AZ

Wow, you guys are making me feel really good about finding the time to do some posts back here on the forum.   Thanks!   Ok, to answer your questions:

This was a 620g dough ball, but anywhere from 600-650 is great for a thin to medium-thin crust 18in pizza. 
When I bake wild yeast doughs in the bosch this is my method, First I put the water in the bowl, I then put in my starter and turn on the mixer for a while to try to break up the starter and get it hydrated (I use fairly dry starter). I then turn of the mixer and put in the oil (if any), then the flour,  then the salt on top of the flour and mix.
For commercial yeast doughs I sort of do the opposite.   I put water,oil (if any), salt,flour, then the yeast on top of the flour.
If you use lots of yeast (.15% or more) the orders really don't matter, but with smaller amounts of yeast I have run into trouble if the salt and yeast come into contact before mixing. 
The cheese was a combination of dry aged and fresh mozzarella, sauce on top of that, sicilian organo (the kind with stems), garlic infused oil, then imported romano to finish the pie.     
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:14:49 PM by scott r »

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
Dwight,  I owned the compact model, before I bought the universal.  It does some things well.   My wife, loved it for batters, quick breads,  whipped cream.  It can make a decent dough,  but nothing crazy.  It is easier to use and cheaper than some others though,  and you could do much worse for the money. -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »
Which speed setting do you use when you're mixing? I have also recently "upgraded" from a Santos fork mixer to a Bosch mixer. My biggest gripe with the Santos mixer was that I could never keep the bowl spinning at a consistent speed while it was mixing. I had to sit there the whole time fiddling with it to keep things mixing smoothly.

AKSteve, I use the slowest setting on the bosch.  
I can't believe someone else out there actually had the santos and then went to the bosch!   I would love to hear a report back from you after 10 or so batches on which machine ultimately made the best dough for you.   Of course there is no question that the bosch is 10 times easier, and in my mind there is no question that it is more consistently good.  I think that if I had SCpizzas modified Santos that worked at the proper Italian speed, rather than the twice as fast santos (french speed), my feelings might be different, but for me the bosch actually makes a better dough, and it does it easily every time.  

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:58 PM »
Scott,

Also,  did you cook the pie in an aluminum pizza serving pan?  I am going to try to replicate the pie tonight with a now proofing soviet space agency approved 725 g dough ball.  (based on 18" at a 0.1 thickness factor.)

-Alexi

Alexi, no baking pans for me unless its sicilian pizza or roman pizza!   This pizza was baked on a stone.   I just use those pizza pans as serving trays.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »
Some inspiration from a real coal oven at totonnos (mine is electric). 

Another very coal oven looking pie from apizza scholls
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:15:33 AM by scott r »

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 02:54:18 AM »
Dwight,  I owned the compact model, before I bought the universal.  It does some things well.   My wife, loved it for batters, quick breads,  whipped cream.  It can make a decent dough,  but nothing crazy.  It is easier to use and cheaper than some others though,  and you could do much worse for the money. -marc

Thank you.
Dwight

pizzapan