Author Topic: Equipment for new business?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline jonesmi

Equipment for new business?
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »
I many not have enough information yet to be asking some of these questions but thought I would.  I am working with a couple of people on opening a gourmet delivery/carry out pizza business.  My role would primarily be more of an investor and general manager.  I am not a pizza chef, so these might be some pretty basic questions (I am a pastry chef)...

We are trying to differentiate ourselves in the market by offering a more gourmet product than pizza hut, dominoes, etc.  That being said, we have been talking about wood fired ovens.  My personal experience is that this produces the best pizza, but I am trying to determine if this is practical for a delivery business.   I know you can cook pizza really fast in these ovens, but is the capacity adequate?

Also, curious about mixers.  I have always been told that spiral mixers make the best doughs for bread.  Is this true for pizza dough as well?

Thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Equipment for new business?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
Spiral mixers are really good, and definitely have the advantage in the US of being locally produced, therefore not too expensive.   Still, I think a diving arm mixer or fork mixer would be the ultimate best.   The differences between them are slight enough that you might not even notice if you were using bromated or typical american high gluten pizza flour.   With import costs they can be very very expensive unfortunately. 

Wood fired ovens can make an amazing pizza, but its really all about even heat and the ability to get higher heat than a typical american deck oven that tops out at 600 or so.  Lately there are lots of new ovens becoming available to us here in the US that can do high temps, but are not wood burning ovens.   Beware, though.   Especially for take out and delivery faster is not always better.   If you spend some time making high temp pizzas you may find that they do not hold up nearly as well to 30 minutes+ from oven to mouth which can be quite common.   Higher temp is good, but HIGH temp can actually be very bad for a pizza that is going to sit around for a while before its eaten.   I think you will find that most neapolitan pizzerias do very little take out, and almost never do delivery.   

To sum it all up, you might find that you really like an artesian medium temp (higher than typical) pizza the best, as it can still be done without the high costs of wood (wood works too if you really want it but adds lots of expense and extra employee training).   

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
I think you will find that most neapolitan pizzerias do very little take out, and almost never do delivery.   

scott r,

I remember several years ago raising the matter of delivery of Neapolitan style pizzas with Charlie Restivo, then the chief pizza maker at Naples 45 in NYC (and now with the parent company's Orlando operation), when I saw that Naples 45 delivered pizzas. At the time, Naples 45 was using a blend of the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and the Caputo Rosso (Red) 00 flour and using Earthstone ovens (if I recall correctly). I couldn't imagine how a cooled down Neapolitan style pizza could taste any good but Charlie told me that many of his customers actually liked the delivery pizzas better than the ones baked in the restaurant. I did a check today at the Naples 45 website at http://naples45nyc.com/food-delivery/Naples-45-New-York-City.309.r?QueryStringValue=2mQFl3oySeE+OjgFOZ6StQ==, and it appears that they are still delivering pizza.

Peter

Offline cranky

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
scott r,

I remember several years ago raising the matter of delivery of Neapolitan style pizzas with Charlie Restivo, then the chief pizza maker at Naples 45 in NYC (and now with the parent company's Orlando operation), when I saw that Naples 45 delivered pizzas. At the time, Naples 45 was using a blend of the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and the Caputo Rosso (Red) 00 flour and using Earthstone ovens (if I recall correctly). I couldn't imagine how a cooled down Neapolitan style pizza could taste any good but Charlie told me that many of his customers actually liked the delivery pizzas better than the ones baked in the restaurant. I did a check today at the Naples 45 website at http://naples45nyc.com/food-delivery/Naples-45-New-York-City.309.r?QueryStringValue=2mQFl3oySeE+OjgFOZ6StQ==, and it appears that they are still delivering pizza.

Peter

All pizzas, not just Neapolitan, lose a lot in delivery in my opinion, some more than others.  It is difficult for a crispy crust with crunch covered with sauce and moist ingredients to hold up in a box full of steam.   What would happen to a pastry that was put in a closed box hot out of the oven?  Breads are the same.   They lose their crust in a sealed bag.  Gourmet home delivered pizza is going to be difficult. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
cranky,

What I neglected to mention is that Naples 45 is located in the MetLife building in Mid-town Manhattan, right near Grand Central Station. There are a ton of office buildings and professional offices nearby. I woudn't be surprised if the pizzas are delivered mainly to offices rather than homes. The pizzas might hold up better under such conditions.

Peter

Offline cranky

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »
cranky,

What I neglected to mention is that Naples 45 is located in the MetLife building in Mid-town Manhattan, right near Grand Central Station. There are a ton of office buildings and professional offices nearby. I woudn't be surprised if the pizzas are delivered mainly to offices rather than homes. The pizzas might hold up better under such conditions.

Peter

Peter,
They are probably delivered one or a few at a time and never go into a car and sit in traffic.  If a dozen pizzas are loaded in a car and especially in those plastic thermo jackets you see, the conditions are very different.  A few minutes in a box is different from 20.  The last time I had a pizza delivered was to a hotel room in Annaheim.  I got in late, was too beat to go out, and needed to get up for an early morning meeting.  Never again!
Cranky