Author Topic: why would one use a mixer for home pizza making?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline dantinap

• I Love Pizza!
Re: why would one use a mixer for home pizza making?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
the hobart 12 and 20 quart mixers do a great job. I never tried the 5 quart model.  Walter
Thanks man.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
Hi Peter, is there any commercial mixer you recommend that will provide consistency, good gluten development and is not that powerful like the ones used at big franchises? Thanks.
dantinap,

Since I have always been a home pizza maker and typically made only small amounts of dough at a time, I am not a good one to ask about commercial mixers. Maybe one of our members with experience with commercial mixers can help you.

Peter

Offline dantinap

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »
dantinap,

Since I have always been a home pizza maker and typically made only small amounts of dough at a time, I am not a good one to ask about commercial mixers. Maybe one of our members with experience with commercial mixers can help you.

Peter

Okay pete, thanks for replying!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
I just did my first hand mixed batch the other night because my KA is in storage until we move. I was surprised how easy and tidy it really was and I thought the results were about the same.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »
I make a point of incorporating the oil after the dough is fully hydrated.  That's difficult without a mixer.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
why would one use a mixer for home pizza making?
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:56 AM »
I don't think for a home batch it is hard to incorporate oil. My last pie, I hydrated flour and water and believe it or not I separately combined the oil and salt! Sprinkled the yeast on top of the dough and then scraped out the salt and oil and kneaded/squeezed it all together 3 minutes mix-knead/15 rest/4 minutes kneading. Dough came out nice. I even took the dough and wiped out the salt-oil container with it.

I would guess that coating the salt in oil is the worst thing you can do to ensure that it dissolves in the dough. And yet...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:03:36 AM by David Esq. »

Offline adampawliczek

• I Love Pizza!
    • Online pizza dough calculator
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »
I've bought KitchenAid (classic) for all cooking purposes, but the pizza dough was one of the top "need". Mixer is great when making about 4 doughballs (240-280g each) and it saves time & work a lot!
Note: there are two types of hooks - the letter J type and the spiral type. The spiral is sold with the PRO versions of KA and as i have heard this is the better hook. But the classic KA prepare a good dough, which next is finished by hand. The biggest problem is, as mentioned before, the dough climbing over the hook.

Offline mililani

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
An update, I've been learning the art of hand kneading dough, and now I'm a convert.  I developed a method after watching the french method of kneading wet doughs, and man, my doughs now are really good!  I can stretch the dough out really thin without it tearing.  Although I thought I fixed this problem with the food processor, I was still getting a lot of tearing with 63% hydration doughs.  Now, I can stretch much further with with the pizza hanging over my knuckles.