Author Topic: October 2010 Monthly Challenge: Candy  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: October 2010 Monthly Challenge: Candy
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »
Don,

Some of the best candied nuts in the world are from your neck of the woods - garapiñados - candied peanuts. Fresh from a street vendor, they can't be beat. No idea how you would work them into pizza, though.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 12:16:57 AM »
OK, this is as close as I'll get to putting candy on a pizza - tre formaggio con pera. Since pears are just coming into season, I made some candied pears (poached in orange sauce- then reduced to a glaze). Topped with fresh mozzarella, tallegio, and gorgonzola.

Candied fruit was the first thing that came to mind as well.  In fact, a fruitcake pizza would seem appropriate as we get closer to the holiday that rhymes with krissmiss.  Continuing the course of a mock pizza dessert (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,791.msg34074.html#msg34074), I think cinnamon imperials would add a nice sweet heat to a pizza.  Norma's entry was along similar lines.  Cinnamon is a great spice to combine with candied fruit.

- red.november

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »

Continuing the course of a mock pizza dessert (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,791.msg34074.html#msg34074), I think cinnamon imperials would add a nice sweet heat to a pizza.  Cinnamon is a great spice to combine with candied fruit.

- red.november

November,

Thanks for referencing your post where you told how to make your dessert dough.  :)  I never saw that post before.  What intrigues me about that post is you used evaporated milk, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon and brown sugar in combination to make your dessert dough.  I never tried anything like that in a dough before, although I did have different combinations of some of those ingredients in other experiments I have tried. 

Your Pizza Slice Cinnamon Rolls sound very tasty.  I could imagine them with “snitz” or "schnitz" (dried apples) and cinnamon. 

Thanks for your idea about the dessert dough.  I will have to try your dough sometime. 

Your idea for cinnamon imperials for a “candy” on a pie is also good.  ;D

Norma
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:47:20 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 01:33:59 AM »
I arrived here from a blown dough.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.msg114356.html#msg114356

Cookies, Cake, or Candy?  I messed up, but here it is any way, probably been done before.  Pizza dough pretzels. If you want candy pretzels make some chocolate or caramel sauce to dip them in, and add a bowl of icecream.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
What I was waiting for was some to do a pizza with mozzarella in the center, a ring of cheddar, and American cheese near the edge.
I'm on too many of these boards