Author Topic: Better Focaccia Recipe with a Biga from Cooks Illustrated with pics  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Mamma Mia

Since I have started reading this forum, I have been very interested to read and understand some of the various techniques used for a variety of pizza crusts. I have adopted the slow cold fermentation approach and have been extremely happy with the improved taste of my crusts.
Today I decided to continue my experimentation by making a "biga" to make focaccia which I haven't done before. I used the Better Focaccia recipe and technique from the Sept/Oct 2010 Cooks Illustrated except I deleted salt and cut into 4 parts to use in a smaller personal pizza pan size (with just 1 TBSP oil). I sprinkled with Pennzey's Mural of Seasonings instead of fresh herbs. I was very happy with the results and it helped reinforce what the folks on this forum are talking about when they recommend certain techniques about pre-ferment, hydration, etc. It was helpful to try a different approach and taste the result. Next I hope to buy a scale and try some of the pizza recipes using a biga.
 Sorry I have not included the recipe but it is three pages long!(mostly explaining techniques and effects, but still a simple recipe).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:01:57 PM by Mamma Mia »

Offline Old Red

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Better Focaccia Recipe with a Biga from Cooks Illustrated with pics
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
That looks tasty. I'm going to look in my CI cookbook when I get home and see if the recipe is in there.

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:48 AM »
That looks really good.    :drool:

Offline Hotcakes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
Recipe can be found here...
http://www.dcsappliances.com/culinary-curious/recipes/rosemary-focaccia/

I've made this 2 times now, best I have ever had. Be warned it is labor/time intensive like most Cook's Illustrated recipes.

pizzapan