Author Topic: Bakers & Chefs all-purpose flour  (Read 4253 times)

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• ohaipizza OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM OM NOM NOM
Bakers & Chefs all-purpose flour
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »
They have Bakers & Chefs all-purpose flour (enriched and bleached) 25 pound bag for about $7.00 at Sams-Club. That's a hell of a deal. Is this stuff any good for pizza?
"I looked at the serving size: two slices. Who the hell eats two slices? I eat pizza by the pie! Two pies is a serving size!!"

"I looked at the serving size: two slices. Who the hell eats two slices? I eat pizza by the pie! Two pies is a serving size!!"

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Bakers & Chefs all-purpose flour
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
This is a fine flour.  I used this flour to make the pies in reply #302-#304

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.0.html.  Call me crazy, but it makes a pizza almost as good as caputo and it's 1/5th the price.

Chau

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:21:00 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:26:44 AM »
This is a fine flour.  I used this flour to make the pies in reply #302-#304

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11126.0.html.  Call me crazy, but it makes a pizza almost as good as caputo and it's 1/5th the price.

Chau

Chau,
I'm crossing the border next week & was thinking of popping into Sam's Club to pick up some Bakers & Chefs HG flour.  I think it's made by Con Agra Mills??  I think you have used it in the past, how is it?

Matt

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »
Chau,
I'm crossing the border next week & was thinking of popping into Sam's Club to pick up some Bakers & Chefs HG flour.  I think it's made by Con Agra Mills??  I think you have used it in the past, how is it?

Matt

Matt, it is made by Con Agra Mills.  I have only used their bromated version.   I bought a 50lb bag for around $16 US.  For HG flour that is all I've been using lately b/c I had 50lbs. of it.   It's a good flour and I can make a good pizza with this flour. 

The few times I got to work with Manitoba BF (that Paul sent me) I recall liking the results a bit better.  So if the cost isn't too different, I would lean towards the Manitoba flour.  I'm not sure if I favored that b/c it was just a pleasant change of pace for me or not. 

I think if you pick up a bag of the SC HG flour, you won't be disappointed and will enjoy using it.  It's a good buy. 

Chau

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
Matt, it is made by Con Agra Mills.  I have only used their bromated version.   I bought a 50lb bag for around $16 US.  For HG flour that is all I've been using lately b/c I had 50lbs. of it.   It's a good flour and I can make a good pizza with this flour. 

The few times I got to work with Manitoba BF (that Paul sent me) I recall liking the results a bit better.  So if the cost isn't too different, I would lean towards the Manitoba flour.  I'm not sure if I favored that b/c it was just a pleasant change of pace for me or not. 

I think if you pick up a bag of the SC HG flour, you won't be disappointed and will enjoy using it.  It's a good buy. 

Chau

I have Manitoba readily available.  The reason I wanted to try the HG bromated is because it's not available in Cda.  Bromate is not approved by the Canadian FDA.

Matt

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »
I have Manitoba readily available.  The reason I wanted to try the HG bromated is because it's not available in Cda.  Bromate is not approved by the Canadian FDA.

Matt

Go for it Matt.  Let us know if you think the bromates really do make any difference in the dough or not.  If you don't like it, $16 or is not much of a lost.  I would also be curious to know your impressions of the SC HG flour in comparison to the Manitoba flour.    I'm curious to know what your cost is for the Manitoba flour? 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
I'm curious to know what your cost is for the Manitoba flour? 

$20-22 for 20kg.

Matt

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »
I have been using the B&C AP flour from Sams for a bit now and I like it (although I only have the B&C Bread flour and KABF for comparison).  Seems to work well...although I cannot cook him at more then 650 stone temp or she toasts in about 40 seconds

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
It's the best flour I've found for my thin cracker crust. I love it and it's VERY inexpensive.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 04:33:45 AM »
After giving it a try, I would personally rate this flour slightly better than Gold Medal all-purpose. The consistency is finer and the resulting crust has a softer crumb. Two thumbs up here.

I wonder what the gluten percentage is.

Offline dms

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
After giving it a try, I would personally rate this flour slightly better than Gold Medal all-purpose. The consistency is finer and the resulting crust has a softer crumb. Two thumbs up here.

I wonder what the gluten percentage is.

Con Agra's H&R flour is 11%, plus or minus 2.0%.  (yes two whole percent.)  I suspect the stuff Sam's sells is the same.  Protein content is just not an important specification to the people who use this stuff.  I don't know if the huge spec range is so they can sell very different stuff out of different mills as the same brand, or if it's a variation on what sort of wheat they can get cheaply. 

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »
Con Agra's H&R flour is 11%, plus or minus 2.0%.  (yes two whole percent.)  I suspect the stuff Sam's sells is the same.  Protein content is just not an important specification to the people who use this stuff.  I don't know if the huge spec range is so they can sell very different stuff out of different mills as the same brand, or if it's a variation on what sort of wheat they can get cheaply. 

Wow, 9% to 13% is definitely a huge range! That could have something to do with the low price.
Oh well. I've made cracker crust and Detroit style so far, and they both turned out good, so I'm not complaining.

Offline dms

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »
Wow, 9% to 13% is definitely a huge range! That could have something to do with the low price.
Oh well. I've made cracker crust and Detroit style so far, and they both turned out good, so I'm not complaining.

Most AP flours are similarly specified as having fairly wide protein ranges.  General Mills's H&R is 11$ +/- 1%.  There's usually good consistency from bag to bag, as long as you're getting it from the same mill.  Year to year consistency isn't as good, nor is mill to mill consistency, both for the reason that the mills put AP flours together around criteria that don't put protein content very highly, but values cost and ash content more.  Changes in the price of different kinds of wheat will change the blend used to make the flour. There's nothing really wrong with that, the people who are buying it use it for all sorts of things where protein content doesn't matter much.  10% protein is quite enough to make almost all kinds of bread, and it's the highest available until fairly recently, as the cultivation of wheat goes. 

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 03:18:38 AM »
Most AP flours are similarly specified as having fairly wide protein ranges.  General Mills's H&R is 11$ +/- 1%.  There's usually good consistency from bag to bag, as long as you're getting it from the same mill.  Year to year consistency isn't as good, nor is mill to mill consistency, both for the reason that the mills put AP flours together around criteria that don't put protein content very highly, but values cost and ash content more.  Changes in the price of different kinds of wheat will change the blend used to make the flour. There's nothing really wrong with that, the people who are buying it use it for all sorts of things where protein content doesn't matter much.  10% protein is quite enough to make almost all kinds of bread, and it's the highest available until fairly recently, as the cultivation of wheat goes. 

I did not know that GM H&R protein content varies by 1%. Even still, that is only half the variation of Bakers & Chefs - much more acceptable. I agree that it's not of great important to the average consumer, but a serious baker will care. An item baked with 9% protein content has quite a different texture than 13%.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »
I did not know that GM H&R protein content varies by 1%.

IEatPizzaByThePie,

You can see the specs for the GM H&R flour at http://www.gmiflour.com/gmflour/Flour_SpecSheet/HRWest%20Bleached14314(West).doc.

Peter

Offline dms

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
I did not know that GM H&R protein content varies by 1%. Even still, that is only half the variation of Bakers & Chefs - much more acceptable. I agree that it's not of great important to the average consumer, but a serious baker will care. An item baked with 9% protein content has quite a different texture than 13%.

Lots of H&R flour ends up as breading for fried stuff, thickening sauces, and things where protein matters almost not at all.  Even more ends up in pancakes, brownies, and such, where protein matters a whole lot less than water absorption, falling number, and other things that are more tightly specified.  A serious baker isn't going to use H&R flour for baking things that require tight control on protein.  General Mills makes about a dozen different wheat flours for the bakery market, each intended for a fairly limited set of uses, and some for fairly limited geographic distribution.  (They sell versions for high-altitude locations, for instance.) 

In general, I think that many American hobbyist bakers get hung up on protein content, and ignore the other properties of flour.  That's too bad, as they're just, or more, as important.