Author Topic: Source for "Greek or Bar" style pizza pans  (Read 1877 times)

Offline mclone

Source for "Greek or Bar" style pizza pans
« on: October 21, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for a pan to bake a pizza like the ones made in the bars and pizza houses south of Boston MA?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Source for "Greek or Bar" style pizza pans
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for a pan to bake a pizza like the ones made in the bars and pizza houses south of Boston MA?

mclone,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Here is one link for where to purchase dark deep-dish pizza pans. There also are other sites that sell the deep-dish pans.

http://www.lloydpans.com/C-1000023/Deep+Dish+Nesting

Here is also a good thread if you have time to read it on making Greek pizza.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg6229.html#msg6229
I have tried some of the formulas near the end of this thread.  They make great Greek pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
if you want a 14" pan already seasoned with a 1" height, i'll send you one.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
man, this place is neighborly! 

mclone.    Make sure if you end up buying any pans you get ones that are straight sided.    I accidentally bought a few with tapered sides and you just cant get the same burned crusted cheese thing happening down the sides of the pizza that make for extra yummyness.

Good luck

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:44:55 PM »
mclone,

From what scott r reported in the "Greek" thread, the bar style pizza pans are 10"-12", and the Greeks style pizza pans can come in different sizes. The last Greek style pizzeria I visited had two pizza sizes, 10" and 16". The pans were 1" deep with straight sides. The Lloyd pans are very good but they are sloping sided and hard anodized. The pans I saw were seasoned metal pans, not hard anodized pans, although no doubt some pizza operator somewhere specializing in the bar/Greek style pizza is using such pans. The pans I saw looked to be steel rather than aluminum but it was hard to say for sure because they were darkened from use. But the pans did not seem to be lightweight pans, as is often the case with aluminum pans.

You might try to buy an already seasoned pan from a pizza operator. Failing that, you might ask the pizza operator for the source of that operator's pans.

You might also look at the aluminum pizza pans from Allied Metal, at http://www.alliedmetalusa.com/catalog.cfm/ses_/mc,list,x,1,70,x,x,x,x/Pizza%20%26amp%3B%20Baking%20Pans/. I would look at the "Heavy Weight Aluminum" straight-sided pans, 1" deep. Allied does not sell direct to consumers. However, there are several online sellers of the Allied products. If you call Allied, they may be able to lead you to a source of the size pan you are interested in. Another possible source, whose products are widely sold by many online sellers, is American Metalcraft. They sell both bare aluminum and tin-plated steel straight sided pans that are 1" deep, at http://www.amnow.com/Pizza-Trays/4000-Series-Pans/4000-Series-%e2%80%93-Straight-Sided-%e2%80%93-1-Deep.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:03:58 PM by Pete-zza »