Author Topic: My Friends new Forno (fbpv60)  (Read 4241 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
My Friends new Forno (fbpv60)
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
So I showed my friend a few pictures of my set up of the outdoor kitchen and WFO. Within a few weeks he was showing me pics of the NEW Primavera 60 he had shipped by Forno Bravo.
I had no Idea and he never mentioned it to me. So Now riddled with quilt I took the weekend to show him the ropes. Spent I day doing the dough (oh yes and he also bought a new Bosch U P!) more on that later. 15 hours did the bench and ball all doughs. and then the magic bake last night.
Review of the oven:
Though its a bit cramped this this little gem kicks out a great 90 second pizza! I would have recommended the P 70 had he at least asked me. It has a bit more room and lower dome. The bottom did cook quicker than the top and I used the raise it up technique for a few seconds to finish it off and avoid any real Blackness / char on bottom crust.
The oven seems very well insulated. The hearth read 900 ish and I could still hold my hand on outside of the oven.
The Door was a bit shaky, but all in all the oven seemed very well built and plenty for the homeowner pizza maker. I think I did about 12 pies and a few calzones  I  added several small logs doing the bake all pies came out great!. I forgot the camera so took a few pics with the cel phone shown below.
I would recommend this for a small patio area or such for a few guests no problem.  Very happy with the overall performance of this little dynamo.
As for the Bosch. After I took it out of the Box! rinsed it off and whipped up 3 batches I am SOLD!
A 65% Caputo  (Pic #1 margherita) a %58 new York pic #2 NY Black olive ricotta and fresh.mozz) and a 70 -30 blend at 61% w/ oil. (Calzones)Really turned out great !! I could tell after mixing the first batch just what the members talk about very well mixed and supple . Soooo nice to work with during the spread. Even The newbie did a nice job with some guidance.
A fun experience and another happy WFO owner.  Its nice to give back and share the knowledge I have gained here as well.
John
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:57:11 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Ev

Re: My Friends new Forno (fbpv60)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Looks great but Wow!, pic #4 really shows what a tight fit it really is. I'm glad I built a 42!
I've been day-dreaming of the Bosch myself. ::)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Proofing
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:37:10 PM »
Jconk007, would you say it performed as well as yours?  I've always been a big admirer of your oven and your pizza.  I'm considering the Forno Bravo P70. 

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
looks like it works well, but you are right..it does seem a bit tight in there..I have been looking at those ovens for awhile now and that pic of the pie in the cooker did it for me...a P70 at the smallest would suit me.  Thanks for sharing1

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
Gtsum Go 70!! as I said worked great and unit is well insulated but,
As good as mine ? Tommy, I put a lot of blood ,sweat and tears into her,
if I ever said such a thing she may blow up at me  :-D
Just my opinion , but No way a pre fab can compare to a fully built oven with 2 ft of insulation even if the engine is a kit.  However  as I said very impressed for the convenience and ease of use and quick placement. Mine takes 2 hrs + to fire this mighty mouse  is ready to cook in 1 hr 15 min! another + if theres jus a few. Its just tight.
good luck!
John
BTW 60 degrees here in Jersey today  so I fired the oven today. I used 2 doughs the 70-30 from this post last week man did they stretch out nice now time for pics  :'(  Yummy !!
Bosch comes tomorrow !! yee ha
John

Offline Ev

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
There! I did it! My Bosch is on it's way! ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
and mine is here  ;D b ut I did not see the 1000 watt with stainless bowl or I may have dove into that one ?
Still what a great machine !!! The dough is just better !!
John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
and mine is here  ;D b ut I did not see the 1000 watt with stainless bowl or I may have dove into that one ?
Still what a great machine !!! The dough is just better !!
John

The 1000w is a euro model, they don't have them here.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
Brick Stone
Phew, I was building a resentment  >:( that I didnt get the biggest baddest (without dropping $1000.00) but I just saw the plug over in the other post 800w is great,  and how quick can you eat nine loves of bread anyway?
John

Phar Lap

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 01:50:19 PM »
John,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but since you have that fantastic big oven at your home and have also cooked in the Primavera 60, I would appreciate your opinion:

- I am considering the Primavera 60, which when all is said and done, would cost $3200 to get to my home; or,
- I have a local mason with experience building some impressive brick pizza ovens, who has quoted me $6500 to build a complete outdoor 48-inch brick pizza oven.

So, since you were able to produce some great neapolitan pies from the P60, do you think an oven twice the size of the P60 could produce pizza that would the warrant the $3000+ price difference?

Thanks...Adam      

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:52:06 PM by Phar Lap »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
If he quoted $6500.00 I would have to not only see, but use one of his ovens.  That is a very low price.

Phar Lap

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »
Tscarborough,

Thanks for the feedback...the mason gave me a big production about how that price quote was only the result of the current economic climate, so it is good to know he was being honest.

Adam

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
Adam, As mentioned  these are great little ovens, but personally I would not go smaller than the P -70 so that narrows the gap a bit. Are you in the states ? shows P60 @ $2050 + shipping $500? and P 70 @ $2350 + ship but  no stand !
Is your mason building a 48" oven from scratch using fire brick for $6500?
or is he enclosing a kit? if so what oven does he plan on using ? I am thinking he is building from brick any good 48" kit will be close to $5000 alone, so that is one tough economic climate and a lot of work for $1500 -2000 that would be leftover to build.
So as Tom said who I believe is an experienced Mason. I would want to see feel and touch and cook in something he has built before pulling the trigger that a sustatial investment. I probably have around $5K+ into my Earthstone Model 90 ( great oven and plenty big by the way) but I did every single block and rock myself. and it took 1year + to complete the ODK Is there a specific reason you need a 48" oven for home use? and are you just planning on doing pizza only ? The bigger ovens= longer heat up, more wood, higher price,.. all things to consider.
Hope this helps.
John
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:18:13 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:36 AM »
I am not a mason at all, I am a 30 year Construction professional, 10 in concrete, 20 in masonry. 

Phar Lap

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:08:26 AM »
John,

Thanks, and now I am real curious about the bid.  The total proposal includes all material and labor for the following: a complete 48-inch diameter handmade brick oven--(not a kit oven), a 6ft x 6ft block base which the oven will sit on, and a granite shelf that will front the opening of the oven that will be approximately 4ft x 1 ft.  The mason has a 30-year reputation in my area, which based on the references I have checked thus far is excellent, although he has never done work for me before.  According to him, he has built numerous brick pizza ovens, the most notable being a brick/soapstone pizza oven for the Common Man restaurant, which is a very popular upscale chain in NH.

I will definitely investigate further, and maybe I can talk one of his previous clients into letting me use one of his ovens.

Thanks again...Adam        

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
Ask him how he insulates it.  This is where I see most masons, even excellent ones, fail at building ovens.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »
Adam small world! I have eaten at the common man many times both locations Merideth and ashland? I went to Plymouth State and grew up in Weirs beach Laconian NH where are you? Thise are baking oven not really true neapolitan pizza ovens. Sure he can pull it off just be sure to consider the construction proffessionals comments and to check how he plans to insulate it top AND bottom.
does he have a shetch blue print wing it? dome hieghts dooor opening etc...
John

Phar Lap

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
John,

I live in New London, which is in the Lake Sunapee region of the state.  

I am thinking more about your comments related to the practicality of a 48-inch home oven.  I love making pizzas with my wife and two young sons, and we entertain almost weekly, but this will still be a home oven.  I already have two wood-burning fireplaces in my home, and go through 2 to 3 cords of wood a year.  I am now leaning more toward your recommendation of the P70, especially if I learn to use it as well dellavecchia does  ;D  And, I can still use the mason to build the base for me...

Adam  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:29:50 PM by Phar Lap »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. I also realize now NH labor is different than NJ by a lot  Being a guy I know that bigger is better on most thing engines " 103 screamin eagle" TV 60 " min... but have learned a little about sizing hanging around here and now going mobile. My  Pavesi mobile oven is 40" hearth and just I lent it to the guys who sold it to me he has some real experience and he did 120 pizzas in just over 2 hours.
John is the King on the P70 Hands down Forno Brova should hire him, or at least bu a few of is pictures of the amazing pies that he puts out of there. They are good little ovens. I feel $3-4K should net anyone a very nice home oven.
John

Offline WendyJean

Dough methods?
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »
I'm a new oven owner and have been buying my dough at Trader Joes.  Any suggestions for making my own dough?

pizzapan