Author Topic: Can I freeze part of my pizza dough and how?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
Can I freeze part of my pizza dough and how?
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:37:41 AM »
Hi,

I have a recipe for dough for a Sicilian pie and I would like to attempt to make a thin crust pan pie, I guess something on the order of a “Grandma“ pie.  The last time I made a Sicilian style pie (I say “style” because I know it’s not the authentic one with just a little grated cheese--instead, we like it with mozzarella), my husband really liked it and asked if there was some way I could make it with a thinner crust.  I have looked into this and found that what he described seems to be known as the “Grandma” pie. 

I checked out the thickness of my last crust and felt that if it was half as thick (or less), it would still be fine.  If I am able to roll it out thin enough to make it less than half as thick, that would be good too (but that’s a BIG “if”--my dough recipe comes out a bit on the dry side, not sticky--I don‘t know how to figure out these hydration percentages).  If that happened, I thought I could just trim off the excess. 

Instead of halving the recipe, I was hoping I could freeze half of the dough to use at a later date.  What I need to know is, do I let all the dough go through the first rise, punch down, and then divide and freeze half?  Or do I divide the dough immediately (before the first rise) and then freeze half?  Or is there some other method I should use?

Thank you for all your help--I don’t know what I would do without it!   :)   Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Can I freeze part of my pizza dough and how?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:49 AM »
Genie,

This is one post that might be helpful to you about freezing the dough. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10056.msg89496/topicseen.html#msg89496

I freeze my dough after one day of cold fermenting and although I have a freezer that doesn't defrost, I think other members also freeze their doughs.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »
Genie,

This is one post that might be helpful to you about freezing the dough. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10056.msg89496/topicseen.html#msg89496

I freeze my dough after one day of cold fermenting and although I have a freezer that doesn't defrost, I think other members also freeze their doughs.

Norma

Hi Norma,

Thank you so much, that answered my question perfectly!  I will let the dough rise, punch down, divide, and freeze the unused portion.  I don't know if I should leave it in the refrigerator for one day before freezing, as the last time I left it refrigerated for only a short time, the ZipLoc bag I used nearly "blew up"! 

Also, after wrapping the dough I want to freeze, can I then put it in a vacuum bag (FoodSaver), vacuum seal it, and then freeze it?

Thanks!   :)   Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
Genie,

Since you are already letting your dough rise and then punching down it is already fermented.  I just divide most of my doughs right away and then cold ferment for one day.  I really haven’t tried freezing any doughs that have already gone though your process, but would think your dough still could be frozen, because it already went though the fermentation process.

I think your method of vacuum sealing would work, but I haven’t tried that method.  Maybe someone that has vacuum sealed the dough, then froze the dough can help you more.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan