Author Topic: Caputo Pizzeria Flour  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Matthew

Caputo Pizzeria Flour
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:32 AM »
Yesterday morning I had a meeting with Italo from Orlando foods who was in town for the day.   Amongst other things, we discussed Caputo flour, specifically blending Caputo Pizzeria with Caputo Red.  He was gracious enough to bring me a bag so that I could experiment with it.  What he mentioned that I found quite interesting is that the Caputo Blue that we get in North America is different than the Caputo Blue used in Naples in that it is higher in protein.  In his opinion, there is no need to mix with Caputo red for that reason. 

Matt

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Caputo Pizzeria Flour
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:11:28 AM »
i've been always curious about the adding of manitoba flour to the regular mix so it could hold up better to long fermentation.... please let us know what do you think about this after you testing...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
Hi Matt,

I have just received 2 X 1kilo (2,2 lbs) bags of Antimo Caputo "The Chef's Flour" Farina di grano tenero Tipo "00". The bag is RED.

Can you please tell me the difference between this RED bag, and The Caputo Pizzeria "00" flour in the blue bag, usually sold in 55 lb bags. Has anyone used this type to make pizza?

Thank you.

Barry in Cape Town

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »
I believe thats just the resale USA  packaging?  the smaller red bag is the same flour as the Big Blue Pizzeria bag  right? please confirm. There are many posts on the forum about the vaious caputo flours.
Used the Blue sunday and Loved it!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
Can you please tell me the difference between this RED bag, and The Caputo Pizzeria "00" flour in the blue bag, usually sold in 55 lb bags. Has anyone used this type to make pizza?

Barry,

The U.S. importer (Fred Mortati at Orlando Foods) has told the forum on a few occasions (and me personally through emails) that the flour in the small "The Chef's Flour" bag (red) is the same as what is in the blue 55-lb bags of 00 Pizzeria flour. Of course, the type of packaging is different and the routes and the times that it takes the two types of bags to get to their intended destinations (foodservice and retail) can be different. But the flour is the same flour. This arrangement also exists in the U.S. For example, King Arthur sells small bags of its flours at retail and large bags to professionals. The names on the bags are different.

Peter

Offline Barry

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Hi Peter and John,

Thank you for your replies, and confirmation that the flour is indeed the famous "Pizzeria 00" flour.

I made a batch at 60% hydration, and it was way too wet. Also, I mixed for 18 minutes in my 15 litre mixer using a dough hook.

I will experiment , starting with 57% hydration, and for only about 1o minutes mixing. I use a 28 - 30 hour fermentation period and 3% salt and the Ischia starter.

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
what happens is sometimes wen flour travels allot to get to the destination it gets a little humid...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
Barry ,
Whats your yeast % ?
You are saying that the 60% hydration was too wet ? to work with, or to handle ?  or both I do at least 65% with the caputo but tickle it a bit with some High Gluten four at times 20-35% of total have you tried that option yet?
Keep experimenting it gets better and better
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Barry

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:16:13 AM »
Hi John and Andre,

The recipe I used was as follows:

1 kg Caputo flour
600 ml cold water
30 gr sea salt
52 gr Ischia Active starter (50:50 water:flour)

During the mix, I added about 20 gr flour, as it looked too wet. I guess the effective hydration was 60%.

First I disolved the salt in the water, then added about 700 gr of flour and used a whisk to mix into a batter - 1 minute. I let the "batter' rest for 6 minutes, then put onto mixer , with a dough hook, for 18 minutes.

The dough come out a little wet, and I turned it over on the counter a few times, mixing very little flout to assist handling. The dough ball was placed in a plastic container, sealer, and placed in a wine cellar at 15 deg C for 28 hours. The ball showed hardly any rise - perhaps 5%.

When I removed it to shape the ball, it was very wet! I managed to shape the balls, and let them rise at 20 deg C for 4 - 5 hours. When I tried to shape then, they were "flat, sticky and stretchy" when removing from the tray.

Once shaped, and awaiting toppings, small holes began to appear in the dough base.

Did I over knead? Did I under knead?

Please help!

Kind regards.

Barry