Author Topic: Looking for Steel Deep Dish Pizza Pans  (Read 6895 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Looking for Steel Deep Dish Pizza Pans
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
I recently bought some Calphalon no stick pans, 9"x2". They seem to work OK for the chicago style deep dish that I made, but the mfg says they are good to 450. I have been moving away from non stick products and have recenly bought some carbon steel frying pans. These are heavy duty puppies made by De Buyer. I like them a lot. I also want to stay away from aluminum. I did some searches here and on Google, but didn't find a source for straight up steel pans.

Thanks,
jb

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Looking for Steel Deep Dish Pizza Pans
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
When I researched this a year and a half ago, Chicago Metallic brand came up for Chicago style - go figure.
If your in the US, Bed Bath and Beyond carried them back but then I only ever found the 9 1/2 inch.  Thick steel with a coating, works great for me.  Findable on the internet but as I recall a bit of a search to find larger sizes.
Hopefully some of the Chicago style experts will chime in too...

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
jb,

If you are committed to raw (uncoated) steel deep-dish pans, there aren't a lot of sources based on my prior research. Aluminum and dark anodized aluminum deep-dish pans are more common. Also, plain steel pans will require seasoning, which can take a long time in a home setting at low volumes. However, American Metalcraft sells a fairly broad range of tin plated steel pans, under Series 4000, 8000 and 9000, at http://www.amnow.com/Pizza-Supplies. American Metalcraft does not sell directly to consumers, so one will have to do Google searches to find online sources.

Allied Metals U.S.A. sells steel pans but with a non-stick Black Buster coating, at http://www.alliedmetalusa.com/catalog.cfm/ses_/c,list,x,1,80,x/. Allied also does not sell directly to individuals so, again, one will have to do Google searches to find a source. One such source that I previously found is Abest Kitchen, at http://www.akitchen.com/store/AL-SRPS12.html.

I do not recall that the Chicago Metallic deep-dish pans are steel pans. The only ones I have been able to find are aluminum with the Bakalon anodized coating: http://www.cmbakeware.com/products/bakalon-deep-dish-pizza-pans.

If you want to broaden your investigation of pans for deep-dish pizzas, you might take a look at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5780.msg49105/topicseen.html#msg49105.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:14:04 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
I do not recall that the Chicago Metallic deep-dish pans are steel pans. The only ones I have been able to find are aluminum with the Bakalon anodized coating
Hey Peter
I just placed a magnet on my only Chicago Metallic pan and it stuck gangbusters.  The pan seems quite heavy as well.  Not sure what the heck it is but I did see some reference to "alumized steel" in one internet add.  The pan is coated and has Chicago Metallic embossed in the center.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Hog,

I was hoping that you would doublecheck your Chicago Metallic pan. I have been searching for a long time to find steel pans but was never able to find a Chicago Metallic pan that was made of steel. I checked the 2010 CM catalog today, at http://www.cmbakeware.com/sites/default/files/pdf/121509_cm_2010_cat_FINAL_hr.pdf, and the only deep-dish pans in that catalog, at page 22, are aluminum with the Bakalon coating. CM has been around for a long time, so no doubt they have made pans of just about every material that can be used in baking, including steel.

Peter

Edit (2/12/14): For an updated catalog (2013), see http://www.cmbakeware.com/sites/default/files/pdf/012113_cm_2013_cat.pdf
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:23:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
I did a little bit more searching for steel pans today and found another source, Paderno World Cuisine, that sells steel baking pans that can be used to bake pizzas, in this case, blue metal steel pans. The pans are shown at http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm/c354.

Peter

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
Peter
I wish I could recall the exact model name on this pan when I bought it but alas the brain will not comply.  I do know it was just what the local BB&B carried, and the only size at that (9x2). 
If you are still searching and would like one/some and your local BB&B doesn't have them, or if you don't have a BB&B locally, it would be my pleasure to stop by mine and see if they still carry this model and ship out to you.  Just let me know.
Thanks
Hog

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
Hog,

Thank you for your kind offer. You are a good man. I have been researching steel baking pans to see if any are available that might be useful to make a Jet's square pizza clone if we ever get to the point of attempting same. I was also trying to answer juniorballoon's inquiry in the opening post in this thread where he indicated an interest in steel pans. I do searches all of the time (and make phone calls) where the sole purpose is to find sources of different items and to expand my pizza knowledge database.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »
juniorballoon and Peter,

I donít know if either of you are looking for a steel deep-dish pan like these or not, but there are some steel deep-dish for sale on Ebay now. The one well seasoned deep-dish pan is 17" round diameter 1".  I don't know what kind of deep-dish pan could be made in a 1" pan. The other is 9"x2" steel coated Deep-Dish pan  Heavy Gauge Steel Pan, Specially Treated or Coated so Dough won't stick.

If either of you are interested I put steel deep-dish pizza pan in the search option.

I did purchase my deep-dish pans on Ebay and donít know if they are steel or not, but they are heavy and do work well in making any kind of pizzas.  Mine were well seasoned and used.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
The one well seasoned deep-dish pan is 17" round diameter 1".  I don't know what kind of deep-dish pan could be made in a 1" pan.

Norma,

Thank you for the heads up. The 17" x 1" deep pan could be used to make a Greek style pizza, although I don't believe that they are made that large in pizzerias that specialize in that style. I have a 10" x 1" deep steel pan and it works well for a 10" Greek style pizza. American Metalcraft makes a tin plated steel pan as part of its 4000 Series but the largest size is 16". Often the problem is not finding a manufacturer of a particular pan, like American Metalcraft, but rather finding someone who actually sells it.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for telling what the 17"x1" pan could be used for.  I do really like Greek pizzas.  I might have to purchase one of those pans for myself.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
I did a little bit more searching for steel pans today and found another source, Paderno World Cuisine, that sells steel baking pans that can be used to bake pizzas, in this case, blue metal steel pans. The pans are shown at http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm/c354.

Peter

I am a bit familiar with Paderno as I came across them while searching for carbon steel fry pans. They have some good prices and I was going to buy when I saw they were manufactured in China. Nothing agaisnt the Chinese, but they have been found using toxic items in their manufaturing in the past. Makes me leary. That said I probably have several such items in the house that I just don't know about. Probably worrying about nothing.

Looks like a good pan. I did some searches on "Blue Steel" and you care for them the same way as cast iron and carbon steel so it's likely what I'm looking for. Will probably buy one to check it out.

Thanks,
jb

EDIT: When you click on these pans they say Made in Italy, sold!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:03:27 PM by juniorballoon »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
food service grade cakepans.  i can get them in any size upwards of 18" down to 6-7"

2" high sides.  not tapered.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »
jb,

You will also note that there is a link at the top of the page at the Paderno World-Cuisine website (http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm/c354), called Find a Reseller, to help consumers find sources of the pans.

Peter

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
jb,

You will also note that there is a link at the top of the page at the Paderno World-Cuisine website (http://www.world-cuisine.com/store/index.cfm/c354), called Find a Reseller, to help consumers find sources of the pans.

Peter

I did notice the Reseller link and have contacted a local person, but they didn't sound very hopeful they could order it. They'll try and give me a call. I also found an online place to order them, but the shipping was almost as much as the pans so I bailed. I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
jb

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
Fianlly found them on amazon for $7.19 with only $6.76 in shipping. Ordered 3. Will let you know how they work.

jb

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »
Fianlly found them on amazon for $7.19 with only $6.76 in shipping. Ordered 3. Will let you know how they work.

jb

Recieved the pans a week ago and made pizza yesterday. I seasoned them by wiping oil on them and putting in the oven at 350 for 10 15 mins. Did that 4 times. On the initial application of oil the paper towel I used was black from some dust coating the pans. After the 3rd seasoning there was no trace of this. I buttered the pans before putting in the dough and there was no sticking problem. They cooked up really nice. Best browned crust yet. Not sure if it was the pan or the dough mixture. Sorry I can't give you weights and measures on this one. I just kinda winged it.  ;D

Deffinite thumbs up on the pan.

Thanks,
jb