Author Topic: Dough calculator discrepancy (stuffed)  (Read 952 times)

Offline the_dude

• The dude abides ...
Dough calculator discrepancy (stuffed)
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
Is it just me, but isn't the wording wrong in the deep-dish dough calculator directions for stuffed pizza?

It says "Enter the percentage of the total dough for the outer skin" - but it actually calculates the percentage to the inner ball.

So, you need to enter 50% if you want 1/3 of your dough for the top, which is what most people prefer.

I've never seen anyone point this out, but awesome tool anyway ...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:31:01 PM by the_dude »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Dough calculator discrepancy (stuffed)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »
the_dude,

Thanks for point that out. I will have to dig out my notes to see how we came up with the calculations. Unfortunately, the member who did the programming is not currently an active member.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
Jeff,

I am going to give you an A+ on this one.

I couldn't find any notes on the "stuffed" feature but I did find some private messages that I had with Mike (Boy Hits Car), with whom I worked in creating all of the dough calculating tools, including the deep-dish dough calculating tool. I also remember what we were thinking of when we added the stuffed feature. The stuffed feature was actually an afterthought that came to us toward the end of the design of the tool but the idea was simple: to come up with numbers for a single dough ball that could be divided into two smaller dough balls, with one of them (the inner dough ball) being used to form the skin in the pan and the other (the outer dough ball) being used to form the top skin that is draped over the pan and trimmed and pinched to the skin in the pan. At the time, we struggled on what part of the larger dough ball should be allocated to the top skin. There weren't that many members who made and posted on stuffed pizzas at the time and there was little hard data on how much dough was needed to form a top skin. But, based on what data we were able to find, and to add the stuffed feature while we had a chance, we decided that 25-33% of the total dough weight was perhaps a reasonable range. However, I think what happened is that the percent number put into the box calling for that number was taken with respect to the outer dough ball rather than the total dough weight. However, I think if one stays within the 25-33% range, they may still be OK. What I subsequently learned after watching a video at the Travel Channel on how Giordano's makes their stuffed pizzas is that the top skin appears to be considerably thinner than the skin placed in the pan--thinner than I originally thought--almost to the point where one may not even know that the top skin exists. So, it may be that the smaller dough ball weight (outer dough ball) in the deep-dish dough calculating tool is a reasonable value to use. I was hoping that members would come back with feedback on the stuffed feature, but that did not happen.

I don't know whether it will be possible at this point to change the tool. Everything that is done on this forum is by unpaid volunteers. And once such a valued volunteer leaves the forum or visits only infrequently, we lose the contributions of that volunteer, including doing fix-ups. Mike and I worked for months on the various tools, and there were several hundred data points that Mike had to program in order to bring the tools to fruition. I am aware of only one other error, which, fortunately, was not one that would hurt anyone's pizza.

Even though the stuffed feature is not used as much as the rest of the deep-dish dough calculating tool, I appreciate your bringing the matter to the forum's attention.

Peter

Offline the_dude

• The dude abides ...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:48:30 AM »
Pete,

Thanks for the grade, but my observation is just a minuscule bit compared to all the invaluable work that you (and far too many others to name) do to help make this forum the invaluable resource that is for "pizza-geeks" everywhere. I'm afraid I've become addicted to this website, so thanks for my latest vice!

I've done a few "Giordano's" clones (with the fine help from BTB, Buzz, and many other posters) and I divided my total dough into 66/33 for the bottom and top skin. I was very pleased with the results, so I'll definitely continue using 50% in the calculator when I try new sizes. I "weld" my top skin all the way down to the bottom of the pan (between the stuffing and the side wall) like I've seen done at Giordano's (in Food Network videos and the like), so both skins are essentially the same diameter when rolled out. At 50%, my top skin is .06 compared to the bottom at .12. Lifting it onto a 14" pan is tricky enough at that thickness, so I could never imagine going even thinner.

Many thanks to you and Mike for all the dough calculator tools. I've only done 14" pies so far, but I've got two 9" pans "at the ready". I've been stalling for weeks before attempting a new size now that I'm happy with my 14" pie, but ever since discovering the calculator, all my worries are for naught. I'm extremely confident they'll be smaller, but exact, replicas of my previous 14" stuffed deep-dish. I swear by that calculator and would recommend it to anyone, especially if they're in their "early years" of deep-dish creation.

Thanks again for all your fine work and advice!

Jeff

pizzapan