Author Topic: Marble scrap at local yard  (Read 8765 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Marble scrap at local yard
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »
I picked up this scrap? piece of Marble  at a stone supply yard close to one of my customers. I had time, so I  stopped in and this guy hooked me up ! Said he was thinking of building a WFO showed him a few pics and he took good care of me found a really nice piece and cut it to a perfect 2ft X 2ft to fit on counter ( thats a 10" cutter pan on slab)  and took down edges all for $20!! ;D which I thought was fair  I Used it last night with the all trumps and yes really works nice, then I pick it up and out the away when done. Keeps the mess down as well. I dont want to wear out the granite top on my kitchen counter , so Mamas also very happy just dust the little extra off top and done  ;D  The Master plan is to place it on 1/4 inch plywood with some kind of handles to help protect it and build some type of side splash for those big pizza parties and the U tube vids where the guy has flour piled in the corner and flipps itout as needed
John
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:33:54 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Marble scrap at local yard
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
Yep, I have an 18x18 marble tile I use outside to press out dough.  Works great and is easy to clean.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:29:46 PM »
Thats really cool!Would love something like that!
 8)

I have half a wooden table top in my kitchen,that I use for making the pizzas on.I got the table from my neighbors when they moved.They were going to throw it away because they broke off the legs on one end by mistake.There were 3 pieces,2 ends and a middle.I took it apart and use only one end.

It works great in our smallish kitchen.Would love to have a nice marble stone tho!

Great deal you got there!
 8)

-Bill

Offline carbon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »
Wow, that's a nice piece of marble, especially at that price!
I've been shaping dough on a large piece of granite placed on top of a work table but I recently purchased a 24" x 60" stainless steel commercial kitchen work table and set up a dedicated pizza station at one corner of my kitchen.  Now I just shape the dough on the SS surface.  Works really well, and my WFO is just 10 feet away from the table, just out the side door.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:45:27 PM by carbon »

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
That is beautiful.

This guy didn't happen to have any other 2' x 2' pieces lying around, did he?  ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 07:38:18 AM »
Just stop at any granite supply manufacturing/cutting place and chances are they have a broken piece of something somewhere bathroom vanity .. leftover ...
good luck

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:41 AM »
I picked up this scrap? piece of Marble  at a stone supply yard close to one of my customers. I had time, so I  stopped in and this guy hooked me up ! Said he was thinking of building a WFO showed him a few pics and he took good care of me found a really nice piece and cut it to a perfect 2ft X 2ft to fit on counter ( thats a 10" cutter pan on slab)  and took down edges all for $20!! ;D which I thought was fair  I Used it last night with the all trumps and yes really works nice, then I pick it up and out the away when done. Keeps the mess down as well. I dont want to wear out the granite top on my kitchen counter , so Mamas also very happy just dust the little extra off top and done  ;D  The Master plan is to place it on 1/4 inch plywood with some kind of handles to help protect it and build some type of side splash for those big pizza parties and the U tube vids where the guy has flour piled in the corner and flipps itout as needed
John

John,
Very easy to do; Use a piece of 2 x 2 plywood, nail & glue a 4" high plywood splash on the sides & back.  Glue the marble to the ply.  Cut some 4" marble threshhold to size & glue over the plywood splash.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
 Matt,
will do the 2X2 plywood ,and I have scaps of nicer wood to screw and glue and nail to sides then you Lost me on the threshold?
J

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
Matt,
will do the 2X2 plywood ,and I have scaps of nicer wood to screw and glue and nail to sides then you Lost me on the threshold?
J

You can pick up std 4" high marble threshold from Home Depot cut it to size & glue it to the back & sides of the ply so that the surface & the sides are marble.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »
Thats a fine idea I will look at some threasholds at HD. Will need to make it 2 piece so I can pick it up ? quite heavy as it is add plywood base sidesplash and threashold . I will attempt to make the base and splashes 1 seperate unit and sit the 2X2 right in it. anyway I did like making the pies on it.
John

Offline dms

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
Just stop at any granite supply manufacturing/cutting place and chances are they have a broken piece of something somewhere bathroom vanity .. leftover ...
good luck

Yup.  Often, when you get custom counters built, the shop sells you the whole slab (or slabs) used to cut your counters from.  Depending on the shape and size of the counters, there can be substantial bits that are left over.  (plus there are sink cut outs and the like).  Unless the customer asks about them, the shop hangs on to them.  They're not generally worth much, being too small for most things, but they make nice pastry boards and such. 

Offline carbon

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
Have you thought of placing that piece of marble on a nice 24" by whatever mobile cart?   That's a heavy chunk of marble to be placing on and off of your kitchen counter.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »
As it is its not a problem to for me to lift/ move in the summer it will stay in place outside so I plan to carry it in and out of garage 10-to 15 time before I eat pizza kind of a pre pie work out! :)
I was there when he cut it and there were scrpas from the scrap I culd have used for the side I just was so excited to grab this for $20 I did not want to push the guy and have him start slicing up thresholds.
I will be there tomorrow so.. ?? i will look in the dumpster or area to see if the leftover are kickin around maybe another $20 to slice me a few side and 1 back panel wich I could mount to the wood.
Keep you all posted
John

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »
I will be there tomorrow so.. ?? i will look in the dumpster or area to see if the leftover are kickin around maybe another $20 to slice me a few side and 1 back panel wich I could mount to the wood.

If you happen across any more 2' x 2' pieces floating around (that you aren't cutting/using), please let me know.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
An 18x18 or 24x24 marble tile is only 5 or 6 bucks, and they are usually on 3/8-1/2" thick so they are easy to move.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
An 18x18 or 24x24 marble tile is only 5 or 6 bucks, and they are usually on 3/8-1/2" thick so they are easy to move.

So for a a smooth 100% solid marble tile 24X24 its only  5$  ??? I have never see a tile that big?  I would guess thats the way to go if thats what you want. or I got ripped off?  I wanted some meat to it, and so this is 22 MM so almost an 1" thick  doesnt move around at all
scott I will be there tomo and have a look were are you located ?
John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:07:32 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »
Yep, and not only are they smooth, they are filled, so any imperfections get filled with epoxy before grinding.

The downside is that it is not hard to break a 24x24x1/2 tile.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »
Like this:

http://travertinemart.com/Marble_Tiles.html

At a local tile joint they will sell the scraps for 2-4 bucks a SqFt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »
OK so I modified the scrap to hold the flour from dusting the counter, and keep the mess to a minimum worked great! 5 Cuts 5 minutes and a few fiish nails will finish it later. Yes dough mate and alltrumps again.
JOHN
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:57:55 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »
How many grams are those dough balls?

pizzapan