Author Topic: Pizza Raquel  (Read 218933 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pizza Raquel
« Reply #325 on: June 10, 2007, 11:31:53 PM »
pftaylor,

Sounds like a fascinating and ground-breaking trip. Really looking forward to hearing about the process and the results.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #326 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:18 AM »
pftaylor,  I cant wait to watch your project unfold.  I just finished my 1/3 brick 42"X16" brick oven and have had a few pizza parties so far.  I used the forno bravo list and lots of research.  heat up times are around 2 hours (with a raging fire) with nothing but 6" of loose vermiculite as insulation.  My oven after a full fire is about 450 degrees the day after a pizza fire, and stays above room temp for nearly a week!  Heat up time seems to be very affected by how much heat is in the oven to start with.  I know you say nothing but pizza,  but i have not turned on my gas grill in over a month, and have not turned on my oven in the house but once.  Grilling over wood,  in an oven that already has heat left in it is unbelievable!  Thanks to bill SFMN and his well documented lightest yet thread,  I am already making great progress in the pizza dept.  Carls sourdough starter/caputo are treating me well.  here is what I pulled from the oven sunday night.  It baked in about 80 seconds and was possibly a little over done.  when I saw it I said to my friends, that is the best pizza Ive ever made and years of experimentation, research , and effort finally resulted in the most amazing pizza Ive ever eaten.  Of course there is room for improvement from here,  which is exactly why you are going to the next level.  it is a great trip.  enjoy it.  -marc

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #327 on: June 12, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
How many of you can honestly say that you wouldn’t dive in the deep end of the pool if you had the same opportunity?

What?...........I wouldn't even check the water was in it!
Great stuff,

David

ps.looks good widespread ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2007, 06:35:43 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Progress is deliberately slow at this juncture. Sourcing of the specialty materials and the computer aided design are nearly completed. We are still in the planning stage. The project will heat up at the end of July and transition into the construction phase.

I wanted to share a photograph of the deck in the meantime.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #329 on: July 24, 2007, 02:37:07 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Progress is deliberately slow at this juncture. Sourcing of the specialty materials and the computer aided design are nearly completed. We are still in the planning stage. The project will heat up at the end of July and transition into the construction phase.

pf, Are you going to create a new thread for this or keep a website/blog going on the progress?  Very interested in this oven..  Any info on the deck tiles?

- Aaron
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:39:34 AM by abatardi »
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2007, 07:01:33 AM »
Quote from pftaylor on 2 July ..

Hi pftaylor,

I am also very interested in your oven building project. If you approach this project the same way you approach your pizza making, it should be amazing, and very well researched,  and right on the button !

I am fascinated with your oven floor. Are those tiles cast from a refractory material ? I recently built an oven, and opted for using thin (38 mm) refractory bricks laid on a bed of refractory insulating material about 50 mm thick. This seems to work very well, and, once the floor bricks are "heated through", the heat is then reflected off the insulation layer, back up (into the pizza base). Because the bricks are thin, they only need about 1 - 1.5 hours to heat up sufficiently.

I now await further posting from you on this fascinating subject.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »
Barry & Aaron,
Regarding potentially moving this thread, I suppose the moderators will have the final say so. But I would greatly prefer to keep all information in this thread. My reasoning is simple. Pizza Raquel represents a cost-no-object standard of quality. The Raquel oven project is a significant part of my evolution as an artisan pizza maker. I view it as the next area of exploration in my progression of maxing out each and every aspect of home pizza making.

The floor tiles were originally sourced from Italy. I spent several weeks evaluating most, if not all, other known deck materials (bricks, pourable refractory materials, etc.) and found the refractory tiles to have the best overall performance fit for the Raquel oven project. They measure approximately 43" in diameter.

Deck insulation material obviously plays a crucial role in building a high performance pizza specific oven like the Raquel. The latest array of high tech insulating materials is quite broad and immensely effective. My refractory guy is still in the process of evaluating the latest alternatives available. Frankly, I'm not sure one can go wrong with the latest deck insulation materials. They all excel at keeping the heat where it should be. In my case, it comes down to the best fit for my overall design goals.   

A minor update to report on the dome which I consider to be the single most challenging aspect to the project. My Cad guy is nearly finished with the isometric views of the dome. The birth of his first child has slowed his progress somewhat. Since I'm traveling on business five days a week right now, I'm not losing much ground due to his new addition. Once I receive the drawings, we will be able to design the forms to cast the various dome pieces. With the level of design quality I'm shooting for, I would rather take more time to get as close to perfection as is humanly possible.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Vince in Jax

« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
Hi pftaylor,

I am very interested in what you are doing with your oven.  I will be following intently as I may learn something and incorporate it into my plans.  Since I am working on my 42" oven design right now I can easily wait to see your finished oven and how it bakes.  The paramaters I am using are height = width/3, opening height o= 63% of dome height.

I live in Jacksonville, FL so I understand the issues with humidity and it has been a concern for me as well.  I am currently looking for sources for materials.  Atlantic firebrick in Jacksonville may have everything I need but they seem a bit pricey.  I'm not even sure at this point if the materials they have are the correct ones.  In their list they show high duty firebribricks and a fireplace brick (2000 degrees).  I will be calling them next week to discuss my plans and find out their recomendations. 

Offline KAMarks

• Pompeii
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »
My attempt at Pizza Raquel, also first use of a preferment. Never going back. Thanks for the research and recipe.

Offline KAMarks

• Pompeii
« Reply #334 on: August 18, 2007, 09:13:58 PM »
Top view

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2007, 10:19:35 AM »
Here is an update:
A couple of weeks ago I managed to begin construction of the legs for the hearth. Fully cured, this weekend I should be able to lay the hearth with concrete lintels. The legs will be finished consistent with the existing architecture in the pool area.

The design of the dome is finally completed, forms are finished, all refractory materials are present and accounted for. The major sequence of events and timing from here appear to be:

- Lay lintels (this weekend)
- Lay insulating layer on hearth (next weekend)
- Lay deck tiles (next weekend)
- Construct dome and chimney (week of Oct 29th)
- Test fire to determine go/no go. If a go, (week of Nov 12th)
- Insulate dome & complete finish (week of Nov 19th)
- Pizza Raquel kickoff celebration (Thanksgiving holiday)
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »
- Pizza Raquel kickoff celebration (Thanksgiving holiday)

pftaylor,

Have you booked a block of rooms at the nearest hotel for those of us flying in for the celebration. What time will the limo be picking us up? Can't wait!!! Who needs turkey when there is Pizza Raquel?

Please continue posting photos of the progress. Very interesting. BTW, that is some swimming pool in the background! ;D

Bill/SFNM

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
Bill/SFNM,
You sir, have a standing invitation at Chez Taylor. I would be honored to make pie with you.

Updated photographs documenting the weekend's effort are below. Next weekend can't get here soon enough.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »
Looking good man
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2007, 05:20:39 PM »
Here is today's visual update.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »
More
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #341 on: October 14, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
The Raquel Oven project is still on track for completion by Thanksgiving. It will be shrink wrapped for the coming week to keep any moisture out.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #342 on: October 14, 2007, 03:40:47 PM »
Immensely jealous.

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #343 on: October 14, 2007, 04:38:48 PM »
Boy Hits Car,
I haven't had this much fun in years.
I forgot to post a photograph of the shrink wrapping.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #344 on: October 14, 2007, 06:42:08 PM »
Pft,
      That looks awesome.  I'm looking on with great anticipation.  Have you and the mason been splitting up a lot of the work?  It looks top notch!  Pete G

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #345 on: October 15, 2007, 05:53:30 AM »
Hi Peteg,
I'm enjoying the division of labor quite a bit actually. We share what one could call an "equivalence of actions." No one is doing more than the other. We are truly doing this together.

I built the entire stand, hearth, placed the insulation and cooking deck. He leveled the cooking deck and slapped mud on the bricks and expertly placed them around the deck. I sponged them clean. We both lugged the bricks, he ran the saw (3 bricks required cutting plus the entry way). He mixed the refractory cement with a mean looking mixer (photograph attached). Finally, I wrapped the Raquel Oven for safe keeping.

We both drank our fair share of summer refresher along the way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 08:02:38 AM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
Hi Pft,

I can't wait for the pics .....

How high is your dome going to be above the oven floor, and what is the internal diameter ?

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town, South Africa

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2007, 06:13:13 AM »
Hi Barry,
Glad to hear you are following the development of the Raquel Oven. Since the Raquel is a pizza specific oven, it naturally has a low dome. The plans call for sub 13 inches. I won't know the exact height until it is actually in place.

The diameter of the deck is a little over 43 inches.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #348 on: October 21, 2007, 01:46:48 PM »
Here is this weekend's update. Most of the photographs are self explanatory. A few require additional detail.

Like the ones where I got to use the industrial vibrator. Hilarious. It kind of made me feel like a pizza proctologist of sorts. One of those necessary evils pizza guys have to endure at some point in our lives.

In another we found our mixer was wired to run in reverse so we had to rewire it on the spot. In yet another I misread the scale and added in 7 pounds of water instead of 3.5 and we had to double our use of material. What a waste...

The ambitious undertaking of building a castable dome requires the use of really big equipment. Cleanup is not simple.

I trust the membership enjoys the process.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #349 on: October 21, 2007, 01:48:44 PM »
More
www.wood-firedpizza.com